Author Topic: Updates on what is working, tweaking, and questions  (Read 20183 times)

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
Re: Updates on what is working, tweaking, and questions
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
The fuel pump appears to work. After pulling the lines and sucking through the vacuum hose, fuel flowed and ceased to flow when I stopped sucking. Unfortunately, the carb is still not getting any gas. I pulled the bowl to make sure that I hadn't mussed anything up on reassembly and it had none in it. The starter won't engage anymore, so I shall likely have to trickle charge the battery again. I can't afford to take it to a mechanic, so I shall have to figure it out myself. (He charged me 60 bucks to just to change out the spring and weights and I had to help with the spring) I will keep combing the forums for ideas. (I'm not even worrying about checking for spark cuz if there ain't no fuel, the best spark on the planet wouldn't matter:)
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 01:49:32 AM »
Gotcha! The only reason fuel will not fill the bowl is fuel cannot get into the nipple or the needle. I have seen fuel hoses delaminate, and swell inside till they do not allow fuel to flow fast enough. Or the nipple on the carb may be clogged with some debris/rubber. The last thing is the float level/needle. The float should sit parallel to the carb base when inverted. If it is sticking up in the air it is mis adjusted. 
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 01:58:35 AM »
Right on! I've been doing some research and know I will at the very least have to take the carb off to check the floats, et al. It is unfortunately likely that I knocked something this last time. What would you recommend to clamp off the hoses for such an operation?
And Thank You! Little by little, I am becoming more confident with my scooter, thanks in large part to you!
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 02:01:02 AM »
I usually squeeze down my hose with needle nose vice grips. Just snug will do it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 01:36:16 AM »
Thank you again. I will be assembling cleaner and calipers, et al tomorrow and will either undertake this tomorrow afternoon or Saturday. Fingers crossed!
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
Got em crossed for you Wass.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 12:13:28 PM »
It is heavily misting (of course just after I get the bucket out:)
I have a question. For this tiny little carb, there is no throttle mechanism on the side. It appears as though the throttle connects directly to the needle.
http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=KYM#/Kymco_USA/KE10AA_LIKE_(2009)/E09_-_Carburetor/04%7c%7e38%7c%7e0005/04%7c%7e38%7c%7e0019
As soon as the mists leave I will crack it all open and get started, but I am under the presumption that the diaphragm/needle set up will have to remain with the damned scooter.
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »
Just heard back from Aeromyst. Apparently, the throttle does indeed attach at the "cap" of the carb and this model does not have a diaphragm. Oh, the things we learn. Skies are clearing...soon to embark toward a land of discovery.
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 07:53:57 PM »
So, I pulled the carb apart. When I got to it, the "throttle cap" at the top was actually loose. Too, the floats were indeed a little off. The inside wasn't really dirty, but I went ahead and cleaned it anyway, inspecting the o-rings and gasket to make sure all was well. I put it back together after adjusting the floats (took a minute to line back up the needle& throttle valve, but I took my time and got it back together and the correct hoses on their stems.
I had to wait for the battery to finish charging, so just a bit ago I installed the battery and tried it out. The starter was trying, but no ignition. Kickstarting doesn't do it, either.
I am, though, incredibly grateful for your help and advice in this, as I now have another notch in my belt of scooter ownership.
I now need to figure out what the heck is going on. The insulator gasket is aligned correctly up/down. It's o-ring is against the manifold and the carburetor o-ring against the insulator.
Harumph:)
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
Kill switch... Test for spark before pulling out your hair.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
Thanks man. Kill switch definitely was disengaged. There is spark (I tried the one that was in there as well as a freshie). I don't know the life span of the clocks on these, but for what it's worth, a couple of weeks agao, the LED started to fade away and no longer comes on. Today was the second time I had to trickle charge the battery in the last week as the starter does drain it (since it's not running and can't charge itself). And for good measure, I checked the compression again. It is still at 150. Too, of note, the plug does have some wet to it after this go 'round, whereas it was dry previously.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »
There may be too much fuel for it to ignite. Maybe... Try turning the idle mix screw to 2 turns out from all the way in.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »
Will do. I ended up taking that rubber shroud off of the carburetor (and the hose to the engine cowling). That crap was getting in the way and seeing as how we are in FL, I don't fear cold temps affecting it and the gas. I'll play with it in the morning and will report back. Hope you've had a good day, kind sir!
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 02:23:59 AM »
Aw shucks...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
And so the story goes....
but my scooter doesn't;(
The "wet" was a tease. That bowl was dry. Probably residual being kicked up from all the kickstarting:) I took the carb apart (again, though this time was quicker) to make sure that everything was seated correctly (which it appears to be). After looking at some info online I wanted to doublecheck the seating of the needle and it's collar (under the main). All appears to be as it should.
The air/fuel screw has one of those lovely 'plugs' over it on the stock carb (thank you Kymco), so the only available adjustment is for idle rpm (which doesn't matter at this juncture). For the record, it was exactly 2 1/8 turns out (and has been returned to that).
I am stumped and if I can't figure this out, I will have to bite the bullet and walk it the 4 or so miles to the mechanic on Tuesday, where I will be overcharged. Joy.
On the plus side, I don't have to be at work until Wednesday and so have a couple of days to try to figure it out.
sans scooter, rien

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()