Author Topic: Oil Pump Adjusting, etc.  (Read 2673 times)

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
Oil Pump Adjusting, etc.
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:04:24 AM »
After the great piston meltdown of aught Twelve, my mechanic dialled my oil pump to maximum output for the break-in period of my new piston, rings, and cylinder (rightly or wrongly). I now have 1100km plus on the new setup and after checking a few plugs, there has been flecky residue on each (see pic) indicating too much oil in the system (I run 90 octane ethanol free with about an ounce of SeaFoam per gallon or so (if I top off with less than a gallon, I don't add any until the next fill up of 1 gallon or more).
I have adjusted my pump's output, but seek a second opinion. With the bucket off today (and facing from the muffler side of the scooter), what I saw was the "tab" where the cable attaches and the "raised marks" on the pump and I assume that the factory setting is that when at full throttle, the tab should be located directly in-between the "raised marks". Where my mech placed it was with tab beyond the further "raised mark" (opposite where I was standing). Today, I adjusted the tab to hit exactly on the further "raised mark". (Unfortunately, I did not have a camera at the ready, else I would post pics and am trying to describe fully what I found and have done). I have an aftermarket muffler (Tecnigas Silent Sport) and am running an 88 main jet. Too, I have 8.0g weights instead of the 8.5g stock rollers. Is it safe to go ahead and adjust to where the tab rests directly in-between or should I err on the side of caution and leave it pushing a little more oil?
The etc. is an observation I'd also like an opinion on. I use the stock airbox, usually with the corrugated rubber tube attached to the neck of the airbox. In this configuration, the liquid residue that accumulates in my silencer cup is a chocolaty brown. With this tube removed, the residue is a yellowy black (though there is less residue with the tube removed). The scooter operates essentially the same either way.
Thank you in advance for any thoughts!
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
Re: Oil Pump Adjusting, etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »
Oil Pump Adjuster side view
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:59:51 PM »
Airbox, stock config
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »
Tecnigas Silent Sport, silencer can (in which residue resides after a run)
sans scooter, rien

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()