Author Topic: On derestricting the stock muffler  (Read 6487 times)

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
On derestricting the stock muffler
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:55:03 PM »
This procedure will void part if not all of your warranty. That being said...
Please learn from my mistakes.
If one wishes to derestrict the muffler on a Like 50 2t, one should cut and crimp BOTH extra pipes, not only the larger one that leads to nowhere (as can be seen in the picture). The thinner is for the emissions control and if it is left intact after the other has been cut, it acts as an exhaust leak and will lead to the detriment of your engine.  
Unfortunately, I had to learn this the hard way.
Using a hacksaw, I cut the larger extra pipe. Using a table vise I crimped it and sealed it using muffler paste, although a weld is a better option if you have access to such things.
Once the thinner pipe has been cut, crimped, and sealed, the 'secondary air cleaner' is rendered moot and can be removed. (Of note: when replacing the stock muffler with an aftermarket, the 'secondary air cleaner' serves no purpose and can be removed)
The lesson I have learned is that it would have been better for me to have just replaced the muffler outright or to have at least asked more questions before cutting.
For those wishing to proceed with derestriction, bear in mind that a catalytic converter is still present inside the stock muffler.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:59:06 PM by wassonii »
sans scooter, rien

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: On derestricting the stock muffler
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:06:30 AM »
Stock exhaust is garbage

Daddy I'm the number 1 stunna (Oh Yeah)
And I shine every summa (Oh Yeah)
Boy know I have to change my paint (Oh Yeah)
Cuz that stock sh** stink (Oh Yeah)
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
Agreed.
sans scooter, rien

burbankmarc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »
What replacement muffler would you recommend?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
Exhaust is all one piece. Tecnigas pipes are very popular and offer excellent performance. Leo Vince is another common brand. I would recommend the Tecnigas Next R pipe for 50cc and the RS2 if you plan to put a big bore kit on it.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:37:52 PM »
The answer depends totally on if you are stock , kind of modified, or big bore.
What is your set-up?
sans scooter, rien

burbankmarc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:05:44 PM »
It's my girlfriend's bike. She just got it last weeks so it's still completely stock. She's still breaking it in so I haven't even put the derestriction kit on it yet. I would like for the scooter to go a safer speed, maybe 45-50 or so? But that's all an "eventually" or "down the road" type project.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
Definitely install the derestrict kit. (Should be an 82 main jet and a smooth variator boss) My dealer installed it prior to letting me ride off the lot for no additional charge. With this done, the top speed (without wind) will be 35-38. I waited until after the first 500-1000km before starting to futz with anything to let the rings seat well. What has worked well for me was changing the roller weight (I went from the stock 8.5g to an 8.0g). This allows for a retention of top speed, but gives a slightly better takeoff. I also went from the 82 jet to an 88. According to my dealer, Kymco has gone from originally sending an 85 main jet in their derestrict kit to an 82, claiming that they couldn't tell a difference. He feels (and I agree) they did this to better meet EPA standards. Prior to 2004, though, at least on their Peoples, they used an 88.
I trashed my piston, rings, and cylinders by incorrectly derestricting my stock muffler before getting a decent aftermarket exhaust. I use a Tecnigas Silent Sport with the stock airbox and am having good results. Just prior to the melt-down, I was getting 45+ top speed. I am 500k into breaking in the new piston/cylinder kit and have begun to get over 40 at top speed. I have heard that others have had good results with the Leo Vince SP3. For both the LV and Tecnigas, there is some derestriction that should be undertaken prior to installation. At the end that attaches to the engine, there is a little "funnel" looking bit that has been spot welded in, which should be removed. (It acts as a constrictor for the exhaust coming into the muffler. Removing this allows the engine/muffler exchange to breathe better).
I chose the TG muffler (and others have chosen the LV) because it doesn't change the 'look' of the Like too much, but yields better performance with a more stock set-up.
Here's a link to some info regarding the tuning of various exhausts available for 2 strokes:http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=exhausted&action=display&thread=1391
FYI when I did replace the piston/rings/cylinder, I returned to stock.
Regarding speeds, I am 6'6" and about 235lb, which affects a little.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:53:10 PM by wassonii »
sans scooter, rien

burbankmarc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »
Awesome info! I want to get her scoot up to a decent speed because I'd like to go road tripping with her. I might get myself the like 200, or some other 200-300cc scoot.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 02:38:34 PM »
I hear wonderful things about the Like200. I primarily got the 50 as I had never ridden 2 wheels previously and didn't have the cash for a rider course at the time. Definitely check the Like200 section in the forum. Unlike some of the other 200's, it is actually a 163cc.
Also, I recommend getting a proper 2stroke mineral oil for your gf's Like, particularly for the break-in period. I use BelRay.
During the break-in period, make sure to vary the throttle and don't stay at full throttle for longer than about a quarter mile. It's tedious as heck (though nowhere near as dangerous as the manual's recommendation of 30kph) but it will help seat the rings and build up a nice glaze on the cylinder wall.
Bear in mind the top speed differences between the cc's for tandem road trips (and I know you know it, just putting it out there). Still, a very cool experience for sure. My wife rides a Buddy 50, which at first was much quicker than my Like, but after the mild mods, mine is a little quicker.
Good luck and keep us informed. There is very little info about the Like model online, so each experience is important for others.
sans scooter, rien

burbankmarc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
Well from the Like 200 forum I've read that stock it can do ~60mph. So if I add some of these mods to the girlfriend's bike hopefully I can get her up to about the same speed. I'd really like to start backpacking around this summer. Hopefully finances will allow me to.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 06:03:18 PM »
Here are a couple of responses about the Like 200 from the yahoo group 'kymcoscooterforum':
"I bought a Kymco Like 200i in Dec 2011 in Singapore.
So far I have been a motorcycle rider, I own a Honda Shadow TA 200 (also known as Honda Phantom in Singapore).
My experience with the Like 200i has been good so far. It is a fun to ride commute bike. The max speed that I have reached while riding 2 up is about 105 km/hr. (65.62 mph) The scoot can go a little faster I guess but I have a windshield which puts a penalty on my top speed. So far, my bike is very stock. I have only added a windshield and replaced the spark plug with an Iridium plug.
The Kymco accelerates rather swiftly from 0 to 40 kmph, then quite fast to 60 kmph. But 60 to 90 is not so swift (not slow either, just not that quick). But then it is a scoot. If you want power and rapid acceleration, you would rather buy a sportsbike.
Some of the older shopping malls in Singapore have very steep ramps leading to the multi storey parking lots and so far the Like has carried me and my pillion safely up the ramps, never had a problem. The Like is also designed very simply and is air cooled. You may get more performance if you buy a water cooled scooter like the Kymco Downtown but then, it will cost you a bit more to maintain.
Overall I like the  200i as a commute bike. I just wish it had slightly bigger wheels to help it soak up the bumps in a better manner. And perhaps a little more storage."
and
"I enjoy my Like 200i (but the only other scooter I've ridden was a Vespa 50, so I'm not much of a judge). That said, I've maxed out the throttle at 50mph (speedometer reported) going up a decent-sized hill near Portland, OR. I weigh 145 lbs."
As to getting her Like up to that speed, all I can attest to is what I have experienced. About 50mph will likely be tops with minimal mods. To top 50mph, a big bore kit will likely be the best route, but that is something with which I have no practical experience. There are, however, some excellent posts on this forum re: a bbk. The Like 50cc engine shares the same traits as People, Cobra, and Vitality 2 strokes, in which areas of the forum you will find more infos for heavier modding.  49cc forum (from which I culled the exhaust list noted earlier) has some good infos on modding (and 2 stroke engines in general) and I have found good infos on ScootDawg and ScooterInvasion forums.
Good luck and let the forum know what you end up doing.
sans scooter, rien

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()