Author Topic: How to change tires...video???  (Read 2558 times)

jesionowski

• View Profile
How to change tires...video???
« on: May 01, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
I have 7800km on the OEM tires. Still plenty of thread but want new ones for better riding in the rain. Several of the local shops wont touch a scooter and the ones that do want $60 labor per tire.

The back looks easy but what about the front. I tried looking for some good how to videos. Can anybody point me in the right direction or offer advice.

Also I am looking at Michilin City Grips. Traction isthe only thing I care about.
Igonorance is never better than knowledge

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: How to change tires...video???
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »
I have 7800km on the OEM tires. Still plenty of thread but want new ones for better riding in the rain. Several of the local shops wont touch a scooter and the ones that do want $60 labor per tire.

The back looks easy but what about the front. I tried looking for some good how to videos. Can anybody point me in the right direction or offer advice.

Also I am looking at Michilin City Grips. Traction isthe only thing I care about.

You won't go wrong with those, but do shop around a bit.

We have shops which charge from $20 per wheel up to $50, and some won't charge you
at all if you buy the tires at the same place.

I'm very happy with City Grips on my agility 125
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:02:36 AM »

+1 on the City Grips.  I'm running them and am very happy with them.

As far as changing the tires, you'll need a few tools to break the bead and remove the tire.  I'll assume you won't have a problem getting the wheels/tires off the scoot (unfortunately, you do have to remove the exhaust to get the back tire off).

1) Remove the valve stem core to release all the air.  I think the back of the valve stem cap does this, but its just plastic and the core may be too tight.  You can get a little tool for this.

2) Next, you need to break the bead of the tire.  This can be a pain in the ass, unless you work smart.  The easiest way I found was to create a lever like this:

What I did was dig out the gravel underneath my truck tire, then stuck the board under my truck tire for the hinge.  Use whatever you have to work with.

Once you break the bead, slather the tire and rim in soapy water...this will help in slipping the tire off the rim.

3) Removing the wheel is tough if you don't have the right tools.  You need a flat bar that is thin, yet stiff.  Might be worth buying a tire tool they sell at motorcycle stores.  I had a couple of small leaf springs off a trailer that were small enough.  The spring steel was stiff enough to work.  You'll need two tools to get the tire off.  Check out this video on how to do it:

I used plastic protectors like he did in the video to protect the rim.

4) Installing the tire back on the rim is just the reverse.  You'll have to use the tools again to get it back on.

The challenge with the scooter tires is that they are small, so there is not a lot of give and flex in them like bigger tires.  It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I could do it again no problem.  Having actual tire tools would be nice (instead of my makeshift leaf spring things).

jesionowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:29:15 AM »
So if I get the tires off the local repair shop will do it for around $25 each.  From experience with changing many bicycle tires I know the smaller the harder it is.  Thanks for the post it was just what I was looking for.
Igonorance is never better than knowledge

HueJass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:44:21 PM »
Tire changing made easy....... 

I preheat the oven to 150.

Put the scoot wheel and tire in the oven for 20 minutes, I put a bath towel over the opening if the wheel is too big.

After the tire warms up for a while, I take it out and use a couple tire spoons, comes off in 3 minutes.  While I'm taking off the old tire, I put the new tire in to warm up.  If you live in the desert, just leave it outside on the asphalt/tarmac for 30 minutes.  Putting on the new tire takes about 3 minutes as well if the tire is warm.  Use some soapy water to lube it up.
Changing a cold tire will take about 30 minutes, some bloody knuckles, 100 curse words, objects thrown in every direction, and up to 12 beers consumed.  Opt for the warmer tire.  :-)

MikeKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 04:05:51 AM »
^ That sounds like a great way to do it.  Here's a post from a guy who does motorcycle tires without tools:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

I have not tried it, but I'm interested.

I think all rims should have deep sections to make home tire changes easy.  An educated consumer base SHOULD lead to deep section rims...

The People has 16" tires, so not all techniques may work on it.  I think the bigger rims are tougher without tools.  (I have a ppl 150.)

I did just get new tires, Heidenau K63 80/80-16 and 100/80-16.  Gonna post a review soon.  So far I like 'em a lot.  But I had the shop mount them, so no great DIY advice forthcoming from me anytime soon.  :(

That being said, $25 each is a pretty fair price.  But what $50 means to you is what makes sense.  For my money, I'd never change my own if I had a shop that would mount and balance for $25/wheel.

Edit:  Typo.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()