Author Topic: New member - 2005 Kymco People 50  (Read 1133 times)

goodegg

• View Profile
New member - 2005 Kymco People 50
« on: July 18, 2023, 04:42:17 PM »
Hey all--new member here. I'm taking over the family's People scooter and it's been lacking in maintenance over the years. Just purchased a service manual from Cyclepedia/RepairManual.com (referenced in another post) as I know next to nothing about any kind of engine repair (did an accidental MotoGP Shift on my old Kawasaki 250 as an example). I'll probably be hitting up this thread as I get things going.

Right now, the scooter starts hard (kick and electric) and idles poorly until it's been ridden for a few minutes. If I run the scooter, shut it off, and try to restart it in a short period of time, it takes a LONG time to get going, no matter if it's the kick or electric start. One thing that occasionally helps is putting my hand over the air intake when starting and using that special touch to get things moving. When it's running, it can be a little ping-y. I also think I have some exhaust leaking out on the left side.

Anyway, I'm guessing I'll need to:
Clean/replace the air filter
Replace the spark plug
Clean/replace the carb
Clean out gunk from all over the damn place

Excited to be trying this stuff out for the first time, and grateful in advance for the helpful members on this forum. I solemnly swear to try and search old posts before posting new ones!

-Brian

stuo

• View Profile
Re: New member - 2005 Kymco People 50
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 06:15:34 PM »
"Pingy"? I'd get some fresh premium gas into the tank and hopefully get rid of the pinging.
2009 GV 250

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 06:50:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum Brian and good to hear your People 50 is to get a new lease of life.  I take it we’re talking 2T engine? If so, they do have a ringy pingy noise when running!  (Only ever had one 2T, an old BSA Bantam, and the pre-mix palaver - 25:1 as I recall - with that was a pain!)

Yes, start with your list and Stuo’s suggestion then report back.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 06:55:56 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 01:50:28 PM »
He sounds like he's going to be a good egg, doesn't he!

:)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 07:41:51 PM »
P.S.

You didn't mention the mileage the bike has on it, or how long it's been sitting unused. Now that we burn unleaded gas spark plugs rarely cause problems and a can of additive in the gas tank may do the job of cleaning your carburetor. I'd first ride it a couple hundred miles and you might find it running and starting much better. I'd change the oil and inspect the air filter and CVT drive belt.  Good luck, happy riding.

Stu
2009 GV 250

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 06:45:14 AM »
He sounds like he's going to be a good egg, doesn't he!

:)

Stig

Lol
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

goodegg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 11:26:38 AM »
Thanks all--I've been riding it off and on for the past couple years but it has become my daily driver over the past two months. Prior to that, it sat unused for around a full year with a full tank of gas and whatever oil was in there. I've been putting Sea Foam in with almost every tank and keeping a close eye on the oil. No leaks anywhere, thankfully.

Checked the air filter and it is complete dust, it has never been changed so that's not a surprise. I see that there are some original Kymco makes on Ebay and a few odd websites; any recs for reputable places to get one? I saw some posts about K/N filters but that required some other exhaust work to get the scooter ready and I'm not quite ready for that.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 12:09:15 PM »
Thanks all--I've been riding it off and on for the past couple years but it has become my daily driver over the past two months. Prior to that, it sat unused for around a full year with a full tank of gas and whatever oil was in there. I've been putting Sea Foam in with almost every tank and keeping a close eye on the oil. No leaks anywhere, thankfully.

Checked the air filter and it is complete dust, it has never been changed so that's not a surprise. I see that there are some original Kymco makes on Ebay and a few odd websites; any recs for reputable places to get one? I saw some posts about K/N filters but that required some other exhaust work to get the scooter ready and I'm not quite ready for that.
Your local Kymco dealer of course....or www.leesonsarcticcat.com

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()