Author Topic: Clanking in rear of People 250 S  (Read 7536 times)

Lonicera

• View Profile
Clanking in rear of People 250 S
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »
I've had two People S's, got the second one after an accident destroyed my first one. I had a 2009, and now I have a 2010, and I've had a clanking noise in the rear of both of them. I'm not really that scooter savvy, so I've no idea where to look! The local dealer has looked at it, but because they've made themselves deaf from working with too many motors, they can't seem to hear the obvious clanking that I can. Here's what I can tell:

The clanking is dependent on my speed, speeds up when I do, slows when I do as well.
It doesn't get worse or better when I hit the brakes
I mostly hear it when I am taking a sharp turn around 20mph or less, left or right
It's worse when my tires are low and on the last one, the clanking wasn't so bad when they tightened the suspension (could be totally unrelated I suppose)
The brake pads look just fine, no blue-ing although on my 2009 there was a very slight amount of it.

This clanking is driving me nuts, and I'm a little concerned about it being a safety issue (although the dealer assures me they've checked it all out and haven't seen anything dangerous).

Has anyone else had this problem? It seems like a strange thing that it's happened with BOTH my scooters. What did you do about it? What was it?!

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
Re: Clanking in rear of People 250 S
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »
no such "clanking" on my People s200. sometimes when I hit a big bump in the road my center stand will spring back and  bang on the bottom of my floor board (more of a clunk than clank). Have you taken the body work off and given her a good inspection for something loose? good luck and Scoot on!
-rob

Lonicera

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:16:28 PM »
I haven't taken off the panels actually, and the dealer hasn't been able to figure it out. It doesn't do it until I'm actually driving it, not when it's on its center stand... Hmmmm...

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »
If the scooter is running well, It could be something very minor... like I once had a licence plate braket vibrate when the engine was at a particulare RPM. It drove me crazy! What is strange to me is that you mention two difforent scooters that had the same funny sound.

Lonicera

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 09:28:09 PM »
Yup. When my first one was totaled, I was kinda cool with that as I figured the second one wouldn't have the same problem. They were assembled by two different dealers as well. I'm leaning towards thinking it might be the wheel bearing? I dunno...

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
Maybe it is in your head ;D
Seriously though, try checking you rear wheel.  Take it off, inspect the bearings, shake it (anything moving inside?).  Are there weights on the wheel?  Are they loose?
Let us know what it is.

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »
Maybe the rubber bushings from the ends of the shock absorber are damaged.

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »
Mine squeaks when ridden over bumps.  It's the center stand rubbing on parts beneath the scoot'.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 01:56:04 AM »
Mine squeaks when ridden over bumps.  It's the center stand rubbing on parts beneath the scoot'.

Yeah, mine does that unless I keep the round rubber bushing on the center stand lubricated.

Make sure the round rubber bushing on the center stand that keeps the center stand from hitting the engine case is not missing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:59:22 AM by old geezer »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 03:22:41 AM »
I JUST found a worn bushing on the top mount of my shock. It clanked on uneven surfaces. Try setting the bike on the center stand and moving the rear wheel in all directions. Try wrapping the center stand in a towel, and riding. See if the engine mount is loose. Mine is always loose, and needs tightening about every 2-3 weeks. I'll bet it's the mounts
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »
I've had two People S's, got the second one after an accident destroyed my first one. I had a 2009, and now I have a 2010, and I've had a clanking noise in the rear of both of them.

There is a piece of rubber on the center stand. When it rots away, and it happens in 1-2 years, the center stand kicks against the frame and causes clanking.
Check it out.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »
Ol Geezer, that's the one.  I replaced it with tubing.  Wear on the engine/swingarm casting can be seen from the previous owner ignoring the squeaking.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 12:17:44 AM »
Yeah, I'm getting ready to replace mine. The one that comes on the center stand is crap. Way too soft and just deforms and doesn't roll like it should.

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »
It's the centerstand floating down and clicking up or clanking up  it will eventually wear a hole thru the belt cover because the rubber insulator doesn't make good contact on the pad provided for it.  If you find a cheap fix for it let me know   Jim.

mmaxima

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
Mine does the same thing. I just wrap a heavy rubber pad on the center stand where it contact the CVT case and the problem is solved. I'll see if I can post the picture later.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:24:10 AM by mmaxima »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()