Author Topic: Proud New Owner  (Read 2888 times)

unoudid

• View Profile
Proud New Owner
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:15:23 AM »
I felt like stopping by and saying hi and introducing myself. I've been lurking on a few scooter forums while trying to figure out my first scooter purchase.

This coming Saturday I'll be the proud new owner of a 2006 People 50 2T with 600 miles on it. It was de-restricted when purchased so it should be able to get me up and running at a decent speed for now (big emphasis on the for now part). I got it for $1100 with a helmet and lock so I think it was a decent deal considering it's in like new condition (kbb has it for $1250).

Hopefully the attached picture will show up. Unfortunately the girl did not come with the bike. I'm sure she looks better on it then my 6'3" - 220lb frame will.

Any advice for me as far as mods to do to make it more usable right away? I figure I'll need to adjust the shock since I'm quite a bit bigger than she is.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: Proud New Owner
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:31:45 AM »
Great find! :) :)

You got a great deal. These things retail for $1999. And then you have to de-restrict it. I know I had to go through all that myself. At this point I wish I had just found one with low miles like you did.

Looks brand new. With 600 miles it pretty much is.

IMO, the people is an awesome scooter. I love the way it handles with the big wheels. The people is for big people :D. I'm 6'2 and 250+ myself. The people's scooter I say ;)

Here's a link to adjusting the rear shock.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=5748.0
 I didn't know it was so easy to do myself. I just used a rag and vise grips. You don't need much pressure to turn it either.

Exhaust and a little cvt tuning you'll do 45mph on flat ground. Then throw a big bore kit on her you'll be doing 50 at 3/4 throttle.

BTW welcome to the forum ;D ;D ;D
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

unoudid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:48:49 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I feel pretty lucky about the deal. They had it listed on craigslist for $1300 and I offered $1100 for it. I figure the saving will pay for an upgraded exhaust ;D.

I had read over that link already so I was glad to hear adjusting the shock works that easily. I figured I was going to need to get a performance shock sometime soon , but if I can just adjust it then that's even better. I just don't want to be bottoming out all the time.

I'm going to try and get my plan laid out for doing mods. I'm sure I'll get the itch to speed this thing up pretty quickly. I'll probably go with a nice exhaust system first and then work my way from there. I'll be doing some reading in order to really get my plans figured out. Any suggestions on a path to follow? Have you seen anyone list the different stages to follow for an upgrade path?

I had ran across this one while looking at the honda metros
http://battlescooter.com/22.html

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
Research research research :)

You're already on the right track. Lots of reading.

I'd say start with the exhaust and go for some higher rpm clutch springs and torque spring. Clutch springs are the 3 small ones about an inch or two long and are also called fly springs. They only change the initial take off. 0 to 5 or 10 mph.

The torque spring is much larger and it only has 1. It can be called contra, contrast or compression spring. They are all the same thing. From what I understand it helps with uphill acceleration by adjusting the tension on the belt, thus changing the gear ratio.

The third factor in the CVT is the roller/slider weights. These control the movement of the variator. The variator is a movable drive pulley/face. The more roller weight the sooner the belt moves up the face and changes the gear ratio. Too much weight and it's like continuous short shifting. You'll never reach the ideal RPM. The opposite is to little weight. You'll be going too high in the RPMs. Past the ideal RPM range, also called the power band. Aftermarket exhaust will give you great power increase but will also change the power band. Which is why most aftermarket exhausts come with lighter roller weights.

I am still learning myself. There some far more experienced members on here that have helped me directly or indirectly. What I mean is sometimes it's best to search for your question/answer before you start a post. Chances are someone else has already been through exactly what you're going through.

Good luck man
*2001 ZX-50 beater

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:04 PM »
Welcome to the Kymco Forum. The Kymco People is always a good choice. A great scooter!

unoudid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:17:25 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!

Does anyone happen to know what the dimensions of the scooter are? I'll be driving 3 hours one way to pick it up. I need to know if I can fit it in the suv or if I'll need to bring the truck.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:29:19 AM »
Bring the truck. If you try to lay it down plastics will get broken. I use a piece of carpet over the seat, and a ratchet strap to chinc it down. Have a HEAVY guy collapse the suspension, and it will stay put
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 12:33:04 AM »
http://www.kymco.com/product/specification.asp?MotorCTID=39C5CB69-9C4E-4D4D-99A1-1045C5B67C0D

Here's a link to a convert mm to inches
http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

Yep you'll need a truck or trailer and some ratchet straps
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 12:40:22 AM »
http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
That is a great little conversion program...FREE
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

agua

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 12:53:43 AM »
very cool, congrats

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()