Author Topic: Quantifying starting issues ~ Data?  (Read 1000 times)

thunderkat59

• View Profile
Quantifying starting issues ~ Data?
« on: May 22, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »
Hello KF.com'rs!  :)

I dont know if this qualifies as a "New" topic, but it is one I searched for before I posted this one~
I had a Burgman 400. I unburdened myself of it to go back to motorcycles. I always regretted getting rid of the heifer and am going back to scoots. Putting an offer in on a 2012 XcitingRi at a local Honda Dealers that will include trading an older BMW on Tuesday.
To anyone searching, the starting issues on this forum come up using any combination of meta-wording. Top of the Goggle search.
But~ one thing I haven't been able to find, are actual specs on what percentage of 500Ri owners have these starting issues.
Is there any quantifiable data on how many bikes are affected by this issue? Percentage-wise?   BMW's are know for final drive implosion, and it is a common thread on BMW boards, but the actual statistics show that "only"(big "only" if you have one :-[ ) 3% of all sold are cursed. I am trying to look on the bright side, but also not be blind to reality. Is there any info on these percentages? A Honda NSS300 is 2nd on the list, but it just seems sort of bland, like a scooter your old aunt Gertie might ride to church on Sundays . . .

Thank you very much in advance for any insight and opinions you may have to offer!
LM in KY
 :)

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: Quantifying starting issues ~ Data?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
That would be interesting. I also am keen to know.
You in  an area that gets negative temps?
If so, then I suggest the DC booster route that I learnt about, on the forum,  a recent topic.
Other things:
Better battery/bigger battery(remove the current plastic battery housing).
Iridium spark plug.
Start Decompressor cam is also sometimes an issue.
Get those covered, and you will be smiling ear to ear all day, while riding.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Quantifying starting issues ~ Data?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:48:56 PM »
Hello KF.com'rs!  :)

.. am going back to scoots. Putting an offer in on a 2012 XcitingRi at a local Honda Dealers that will include trading an older BMW on Tuesday.

To anyone searching, the starting issues on this forum come up using any combination of meta-wording. Top of the Goggle search.
But~ one thing I haven't been able to find, are actual specs on what percentage of 500Ri owners have these starting issues.

Is there any quantifiable data on how many bikes are affected by this issue? Percentage-wise?   BMW's are know for final drive implosion, and it is a common

A Honda NSS300 is 2nd on the list, but it just seems sort of bland, like a scooter your old aunt Gertie might ride to church on Sundays . . .

Thank you very much in advance for any insight and opinions you may have to offer!
LM in KY
 :)

1. sold my 1992 bmw k75s with 64K miles in 2009.  Bought with 36K in 2002.  Most work I have ever done on a motorcycle.  Never again bmw!

2. Bought my first scoot 2005 Grandvista 250 in 2011.  LOVE IT! despite only being 250 cc's and wish it have a little more power on for the highway AND motorcycle sized wheels.  Bought with 2600 mi form 2nd owner.  Now 19,500 miles ride 5 days a week all year along (live in so calf).

3. I know what "real power is"  I recently took out an HD street glide?  1000 lbs CVO 110ci ~ 1800cc.  Amazing power for such a heavy bike but 26K my neighbor paid and 1000 lbs is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too heavy but fun test ride.  Also, too loud with aftermarket pipe made my ears ring even with ear plugs!  Also, took an older cbr 600 on the highway and ran it full throttle a few times.  I highly recommend maxi scooters 250cc + I'm madly in love with Automatic enclosed low maintence belt drive.  NO DRIVE LINE LASH!! smooth no clutch - why waste time shifting and listen / feel the nasty chain??????  Shaft is good too esp if it has automatic like the Honda NM4 or CX700 automatic motorcycle. 

Rides:
Honda NS 300 Forsa looks like a perfectly sized ride - lots of honda dealers unlike Kymco!!!!!

Highly recommend Piaggio BV350 - perfect sized motor.  (my next ride)
Burgman 400 also good but some handle bar vibration and poor clutch engagement (probably can be remedied with a stronger spring and variator weights?  But stock is acceptable.  Poor valve design - stupid shim under bucket - why not shim on top of the bucket like my 1992 bmw k75s?  no need to pull the cam shaft.  Don't tell me screw type valves need to be adjusted often - Honda civic 4 cyl car has used them for years and the interval is never or 100K +  Can we put that baby to bed now?  I adjust my screw type valve lifters about ever 8K mi on my gv250.  Easy to do.  Why not use hydraulic lifters like HD and most cars?  Never need adjusting.

Kymco - I don't like on the rare times I need to order OEM parts.  Too expensive, too long to arrive - 2 weeks.  Shipping $14 for 2 tiny orings!  Are you kidding?  No more Kymco for me.  I want to walk into a dealer and order at the counter.

Used:
silverwing 600 - all the power you could want but a little had on gas.  "narrow" profile despite its cc size.
Burgman 650 - NO, too fat & bloated. 
MP3 500 - nice machine but off the beaten path.
GV250 - great machine with some issues.  Main one is low ground clearance, harsh ride and not enough on the highway.
Yam morphious 400 - ?? probably ok
Tmax - too few on the road.
Any brand or model where there are too few = no data.
Kymco My Road 700 - too few, too bloated.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()