Author Topic: Tuning new Super 9 AC?  (Read 14377 times)

RbrtPtikLeoSeny

• View Profile
Tuning new Super 9 AC?
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »
I just bought a Super 9 AC, and love the little machine, but I am dissatisfied with it's top speed of around 35mph...

I'm wondering what I need to get this puppy to do an easy 50, and where I can get it. My brief research suggests I need a new exhaust, which I found here; http://www.sip-scootershop.com/pages/index.php?PORTAL=Froogle&COUNTRY=US&ID=21012&PORTALID=0&EXPLODIM=px&_requested_page=%2Fpages%2Fdetails.php

Is there anything else I need? And are there any U.S. based dealers for this stuff?

Thanks!

2hd

• View Profile
Re: Tuning new Super 9 AC?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:23:39 AM »
I just bought a Super 9 AC, and love the little machine, but I am dissatisfied with it's top speed of around 35mph...

I'm wondering what I need to get this puppy to do an easy 50, and where I can get it. My brief research suggests I need a new exhaust, which I found here; http://www.sip-scootershop.com/pages/index.php?PORTAL=Froogle&COUNTRY=US&ID=21012&PORTALID=0&EXPLODIM=px&_requested_page=%2Fpages%2Fdetails.php

Is there anything else I need? And are there any U.S. based dealers for this stuff?

Thanks!

Don't go for the Leo Vince...they're crap! Get a Technigas pipe!

The best place for Super 9 parts in the U.S. is Moped Hospital in Key West.

www.mopedhospital.com/

Tree Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 02:27:12 AM »

Thanks!

Getting another pipe will be a waste of money on a stock AC Super 9.. The AC models dont have the green wire to disconnect the rev limiter. You will need to by a unrestricted CDI off Ebay $125 and take your cvt spacer out and throw it in the trash.. Go buy one that dosen't have the coller on it, Kymco part $25.. Or take your stock one to a machine shop with a lathe and have it modified.. Derestricted you can acheive 40-45mph depending on your weight.. Dont get a pipe until you plan on carb and cylinder mods..

L Bo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:27:35 PM »

Getting another pipe will be a waste of money on a stock AC Super 9.. The AC models dont have the green wire to disconnect the rev limiter. You will need to by a unrestricted CDI off Ebay $125 and take your cvt spacer out and throw it in the trash.. Go buy one that dosen't have the coller on it, Kymco part $25.. Or take your stock one to a machine shop with a lathe and have it modified.. Derestricted you can acheive 40-45mph depending on your weight.. Dont get a pipe until you plan on carb and cylinder mods..

There is no rev limiter in the 07 CDI, buying another is a waste of money. The exhaust is very restrictive due to all the new emmissions standards. The "boss mod", a tuned performance pipe, bigger main jet, and lighter roller weights I got mine to 50-55 indicated with the Technigas type R pipe the biggest performance gain.

I have also replaced the contra spring with a stiffer one which eliminates the low RPM's coming out of turns, up hills or off top end after a breif deceleration..... no more flat spots in accelerating now and the RPM's stay in the peak powerband.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 04:45:21 AM »
You can actually rewire the harness for the CDI and install the old style CDI from the LC super9 and it will be capable of higher revs.  I'd have to find the photos of where I did this, but there was definitely a strong difference between the AC style CDI and the LC style.

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

maggieride

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 06:04:31 AM »
Josh, I would like to know more about this.  I have a AC Super 9 and have done alot of mods but something is still holding it back and we have been suspecting the CDI, did you find the pictures of this?

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 04:15:04 PM »
Hi,

Yes, I have pictures but they're on my cell phone and it costs $2 per picture to send to my email. :(  Kinda stupid huh?  I will see if I can make a diagram based off of the pictures this weekend.  The stock CDI does hold the new Super9's back.  I've been told by many people that there is no rev limiter on the new AC Super 9...  There may not be a "rev limiter" that you can disable, but the stock CDI is surely not capable of very high RPM at all.  I'm thinking around 9,000 or so?  Perhaps just a little more.

Also, the inlet manifold can hinder optimal performance on the Super 9.  I'm currently modifying mine, and I ordered a Piaggio Manifold from Holland that I'm going to fit to my bike with a 24mm carburetor.  I'll post photos when I get it. :)

~Josh

getonit

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 11:53:08 AM »
No Super 9 should go 35mph (unless you want it to).  Derestrict it and call Steve at Moped Hospital, sounds like an emergency.  The lc "Power Pack" rocks... don't know about the ac though.  Maggieride has had some impresive numbers w/ hers.

I've read that the ac pipe is VERY restrictive, so that seems like a good place to start.  The thing is that  doing the carb and cylinder at the same time would be your best bet, if that's in your plans.  You can also get a lot more out of the transmition with rollers, variators, springs, and torpue drives.

I'm no expert, though.  Scootertrog and Areomyst are on the ball with this stuff.

My lc s9 would do 50+ (speedo) totally stock, derestricted.

Get On It!  and good luck.

Chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:41:34 PM »
There is no rev limiter in the 07 CDI, buying another is a waste of money. The exhaust is very restrictive due to all the new emmissions standards. The "boss mod", a tuned performance pipe, bigger main jet, and lighter roller weights I got mine to 50-55 indicated with the Technigas type R pipe the biggest performance gain.

I have also replaced the contra spring with a stiffer one which eliminates the low RPM's coming out of turns, up hills or off top end after a breif deceleration..... no more flat spots in accelerating now and the RPM's stay in the peak powerband.

There is a rev limiter.  What happens is that when the revs hit 8500rpm the CDI retards the igntion, which stops it revving any higher.

I just tuned an AC Super 9.  I got the "power pack" from MHR Racing in FL.  It consisted of a Technigas pipe (they forgot to include the vario weights and are sending them seperately) it also has an Airsal T6 73.6cc cylinder kit (with head) and a 19mm Arreche carb.  It made a huge difference, but top speed was still only 50mph.  It was hitting the 8500rpm limit on the CDI.  I tried to find an after market no rev limit CDI, but couldn't find one anywhere.
I had a GY6 no rev limit CDI sitting in the garage (GY6 are the Chinese 150cc Honda clone scooter engines, used in all 150cc scooter and buggies from China)  I thought, it's not going to hurt to try this, so I popped it in, the plugs where the same and it fit fine.  I started the scooter and it ran fine.  I did a top speed test and it did 62mph and revved to over 11000rpm (fitted with an after market rev counter).  I did a plug check, and it is a nice light brown, which is exactly right.  So for 60+mph on an AC Super 9 you need the following.  Arreche 19mm carb with 90 main jet and K&N style filter, Technigas exhaust, Airsal T6 70cc kit (73.6cc) and a GY6 no rev limit CDI.  It will plug straight in.  BTW, it doesn't matter that the GY6 is a 4 stroke, the CDI doesn't control the amount of sparks, that controlled by the magneto, it just controls advance and retard, and it works perfectly on the Super AC.  Next step is taller gearing from Polini, that should give 70mph.  ;D

Greenbean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:17:46 PM »
There is a rev limiter.  What happens is that when the revs hit 8500rpm the CDI retards the igntion, which stops it revving any higher.

I just tuned an AC Super 9.  I got the "power pack" from MHR Racing in FL.  It consisted of a Technigas pipe (they forgot to include the vario weights and are sending them seperately) it also has an Airsal T6 73.6cc cylinder kit (with head) and a 19mm Arreche carb.  It made a huge difference, but top speed was still only 50mph.  It was hitting the 8500rpm limit on the CDI.  I tried to find an after market no rev limit CDI, but couldn't find one anywhere.
I had a GY6 no rev limit CDI sitting in the garage (GY6 are the Chinese 150cc Honda clone scooter engines, used in all 150cc scooter and buggies from China)  I thought, it's not going to hurt to try this, so I popped it in, the plugs where the same and it fit fine.  I started the scooter and it ran fine.  I did a top speed test and it did 62mph and revved to over 11000rpm (fitted with an after market rev counter).  I did a plug check, and it is a nice light brown, which is exactly right.  So for 60+mph on an AC Super 9 you need the following.  Arreche 19mm carb with 90 main jet and K&N style filter, Technigas exhaust, Airsal T6 70cc kit (73.6cc) and a GY6 no rev limit CDI.  It will plug straight in.  BTW, it doesn't matter that the GY6 is a 4 stroke, the CDI doesn't control the amount of sparks, that controlled by the magneto, it just controls advance and retard, and it works perfectly on the Super AC.  Next step is taller gearing from Polini, that should give 70mph.  ;D

Dude that rocks, I have an 09 S9 and with a tecnigas pipe, 6gr weights, and de-restricted it will do about 45ish level ground and 50plus on downhills....

I was wondering if there was another CDI I could use, this might be the trick I need to see more RPMS

Jiu Jitsu Player

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 12:33:51 AM »
I just bought a 2009 Super 9 and I am interested in mods to go faster. Any suggestions on parts and perhaps a rough estimate of the total cost? thx in advance.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 02:33:51 AM »
Hrm, the GY6 CDI is an interesting bit.  At least now I'm not the only one out there saying that the stock CDI sucks!  I've converted 3 different Super 9s back to the old style with great success.

Next GY6 I get in for repair, I'm going to check out the CDI.  You can get them MUCH cheaper than the Kymco CDI boxes, so I'm going to look into it.  Do you have any details on exactly which one you used?  There's a few different ones out there.

~Josh

Jiu Jitsu Player

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 01:01:03 AM »

Dude that rocks, I have an 09 S9 and with a tecnigas pipe, 6gr weights, and de-restricted it will do about 45ish level ground and 50plus on downhills....

I was wondering if there was another CDI I could use, this might be the trick I need to see more RPMS

I have an 09 derestricted and Im getting the same performance without the pipe and weights. I guess to rephrase my question above- what mods would you guys suggest? what parts and roughly how much?

Also another quick question- what is the break in period for these scooters? Its kind of hard to monitor as the 09 doesn't have a tach.

Any suggestions would be great. I've been riding motorcylces for a while but this is my first scoot and i love it.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 05:05:21 AM »
It may sound bad, but I wouldn't even bother worrying about a break in.  Ride it like you want to ride it, the scooter is made for it anyway.  If I end up breaking an engine in, (usually cast-iron cylinders) I usually just heat cycle it going from 1/4 throttle to full throttle with a complete cool down between each stage (0-1/4, 1/4-3/4, and 3/4 to full keeping RPM varying).  Give it a baby ride, let it cool down, then let it rip and forget the words "break-in".

Get an Airsal cylinder for your Super 9.  Moped Hospital it truly the greatest when dealing with Kymco performance parts... I've been working with them for years and I have also worked with all the other major US parts distributors and Moped Hospital is the best hands down.  The parts are also good quality.  Most of the time you'll find the parts they supply to be excellent for a street setup.  If it comes down to it, and you want to race with these parts the tuning potential is there... Don't know if you've looked at my Super 9 yet, but I'm using an Airsal cylinder on that. :)  Started with Malossi then switched because I like the Airsal better.  The T6 is available as an air cooled cylinder also.

Tecnigas RS-II is a nice exhaust also.  People tend to down-talk these pipes because it's not Yasuni or Stage 6 or whatever, but again... street setup, this will work great!  I've built some nice bikes with these parts. :)

Dellorto 19mm carb will do well,  you can also take an Arreche carburetor if you like.  Both will do the job, but I prefer the quality of the Dellorto just a hair over the Arreche.  Having said that, I have used the Arreche plenty and it's a good carburetor.  It also comes with different jets, and is a great value for the money!

~Josh

671MTX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »
Hrm, the GY6 CDI is an interesting bit.  At least now I'm not the only one out there saying that the stock CDI sucks!  I've converted 3 different Super 9s back to the old style with great success.

Next GY6 I get in for repair, I'm going to check out the CDI.  You can get them MUCH cheaper than the Kymco CDI boxes, so I'm going to look into it.  Do you have any details on exactly which one you used?  There's a few different ones out there.

~Josh

I'm also interested in trying out the GY6 CDI.  Can you post a picture of the one you used?  Thanks!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()