General > Technical | How To

2023 Maxxer 450I ticking noise from behind CVT

(1/1)

350xmaniac:
Hello everyone, just wanted to know if anyone riding a Maxxer 450i, of any year, has been having loud ticking clutch noises at any hours?
I have always had a loud ticking from what I thought was the clutches and it only gets louder as the hours go up.  I installed a Dr. Pulley HIT wet clutch but no change.  I installed 14G Dr Pulley sliders, no change.  I don't have any performance issues and it goes up every hill I point it at.  I pulled off the clutches today and the noise is deeper in the machine beyond the CVT cover plate.  Doing some research on A Cat XC 450 since Maxxer info is very limited, owners say loose nut in transmission, one way bearing bad and just remove, cam chain tensioner or guides.
The noise only goes away at the highest rpm.  I can barely hear my riding partner with in helmet communicator it is so loud now.  Quad has 34.2 hours on it total.  Bought it new last August.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

350xmaniac:
Well decided to do some trials and ended up back with stock clutch installed.  Drive shaft was not concentric to primary drive pulley shaft creating too much vibration in the cvt housing.  If drive shaft was one piece all the way through the CVT and supported with appropriate bearings it could be a good conversion.  The stock wet clutch has a pressed on bearing that will not fit the Dr. Pulley HIT clutch thus less alignment between the two drive shafts.  Torquing all the shaft nuts to 147 ft lbs is a treat in the footwell!  The one way bearing must remain in the quad or the CVT cover will not line up no matter how much you struggle.  With the belt tight it pulls the primary drive shat towards the driven clutch (Dr. Pulley clutch installed without one way bearing on shaft).  14 hours over 2 days, many busted knuckles and don’t think I will be messing with it anymore.  If you are looking to do mods, look at other brands.  Kymco makes a good solid machine that will get you back home and that is all that is required in my book.

Get out and ride with friends and make great memories!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version