Author Topic: stalling problem is about to drive me crazy  (Read 1287 times)

DenverDaniel

• View Profile
stalling problem is about to drive me crazy
« on: July 01, 2019, 09:45:22 AM »
So I purchased my 2014 super 8 150 about 4 years ago and it ran great mostly, the battery drained too quickly but it was always reliable and if stalled occasionally would start back up instantly no issue...then it sat untouched for like 2 years. I got a new battery, air filter, drained the gas, sea foamed, wouldn’t start and based on research seemed like a dirty carb from sitting, ended up replacing the carb, and it starts, and runs, but I’ll ride it around for a few hours, stop places etc and it is great. Then I’ll go to it later or the next day it will start up then after a few blocks or so it dies and if I can get it started right back it does when I hit the throttle. After sitting for A day charging the battery (which isn’t always drained) I can usually get it going again and 1/2 the time the same cycle repeats, other times it will die almost immediately at speed in traffic (fun!) the other night I rode it all over then stopped for a couple hours and when I went to ride it again dead within a block. I charged the battery, and got it going and in the 3 miles to my home it died 3 times. I was able to get it going each time by opening then closing the gas cap and spraying some starting fluid but there’s clearly a problem that nobody seems to be able to identify. It’s my only transportation and I’m about to go crazy...anyone have this issue? Or have any ideas? I’ve already taken it to a shop, spent $200 and a week and a half and I’m not sure they did anything 😒 it has been suggested that i need a better battery, but it seems like it’s more than that to me. I don’t want to keep throwing money at it if it’s not gonna make a difference...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: stalling problem is about to drive me crazy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 11:01:08 AM »
Gets going by opening gas cap? Ah-HA! Your gas tank vent valve is sticking shut or you have a vacuum leak. I would bet valve stuck. Vent your gas cap.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

DenverDaniel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »
Totally did the trick thanks!! Should’ve posted a long time ago

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 07:49:35 PM »
Hooray! Thanks for the follow-up! Didja drill a small hole in your gas cap?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

DenverDaniel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 11:28:36 AM »
Inadvertently I drilled 3 small holes lol

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 03:19:29 PM »
American hotrodder: if one works well, three ought to win the championship!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Magistrate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 01:23:46 AM »
Had the same issue on my 2012 Super 8 150, 3 small holes around the center, approx. 1mm.
Can't stop it now ;)
Thanks for the clue.

thespitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 07:06:41 PM »
Just registered to give a huge THANK YOU for this thread, it saved me from having an unusable scooter when my family needed it in the middle of an RV trip and also prevented a 200 mile round-trip drive to the nearest dealer for warranty service.

I picked up a barely used (50mi) 2019 trade-in last week and it had this same problem.  It would start and run perfectly for 2-5min and then suddenly die as if the kill switch had been tripped.  After sitting a few minutes it would run fine again... for another 2-5min.  The digital spedometer was also wildly jumping around so I feared an electrical problem.  After checking everything else I finally found this page, tried unlocking the gas cap and leaving it loosely in place... problem solved!  The spedometer is now working fine too, for whatever reason.

I'd prefer an unlocked cap anyways so instead of dealing with the hassle of a warranty repair I'm gonna get this unvented OEM for $6, drill it, and see how it goes.    https://www.amazon.com/Glixal-ATMT1-208-Universal-Chinese-Scooter/dp/B01F7G92JG/  Anyone tried this or found a vented non-locking cap that fits?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()