Author Topic: People 150 two-up touring?  (Read 3060 times)

gitsum

• View Profile
People 150 two-up touring?
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:21:38 AM »
We ride a SYM HD 200 EVO and it does everything we need it to, and more.  Just because it can, we cruise 60 - 65 mph on two lane highways covering 250 miles or more on day trips.  We actually prefer riding around 50 mph, but I don't want to be a traffic obstacle, so we hold the legal speed limit.  There hasn't been a long hill or grade that we couldn't hold at least 55 mph on.  We notice that even when maintaining the speed limit, cars will pass anyway, especially on lonely two lane highways in the middle of nowhere.

The last couple of times we went riding, I tried a little experiment.  I cut down our speed on any given stretch 10 -12 mph, and kept the throttle below 3/4.   Our max cruising speed was 50 - 55 mph, and on some long inclines or against a good headwind, we slowed down to 45 - 50 mph.  To our surprise, no more cars than usual passed us, and we thoroughly enjoyed the slower pace.

While I love the HD 200, I don't like the way SYM/Alliance does business.  The nearest dealer is almost 200 miles away in Phoenix, and Tucson which is 70 miles away doesn't even have a SYM dealer anymore.  You can't order SYM parts online, Alliance Powersports only distributes parts directly to a SYM dealer.  The SYM HD 200 uses a highly modified GY6 engine, 4-valve, liquid cooled, and a cermanic coated cylinder, aftermarket parts are pretty much non-existent.  I do all of my own maintenance and repairs, and due to the lack of parts availability and dealers, I just don't really want to own a SYM anymore.

On the other hand, the Kymco People 150 is more of a standard GY6, and I see many options for ordering parts both OEM and aftermarket.  The GY6  has been in production for quite a few years from both Taiwanese and Japanese manufacturers (Chinese doesn't count!).  So even though  2012 is the last year for the  Kymco People 150, Genuine and a few others continue to offer quality GY6 based machines, meaning both stock and performance parts should be readily accessible for quite some time into the future.

My wife and I weigh 265 lbs combined, and we travel light with maybe 10 lbs of tools and gear.  We previously owned a Honda Elite 110, and after a few modifications it would top out at 57 mph, cruising 50 - 55 mph was reasonable with the engine being water cooled.  We weren't too unhappy with the power (maybe wanting a little more), but the small wheels made for a very nervous highway ride, and the seat was pretty uncomfortable after an hour or two.  We found that 16" wheels delivered a very smooth ride, and the larger/softer seat on the HD 200 was a relief.

I'm hoping to find a compromise with the People 150, just not sure if it is what we need or not.  If I bought one I would do my usual mods:

Short windscreen
complete smog device/canister and PAIR removal.
Dr. Pulley sliders
minor venting of the CVT cover
Aftermarket exhaust to eliminate the weight of the heavy catalyst equipped stock muffler
mild air box mods, usually just the small snorkel removal or enlarging a very small inlet
re-jet and fine tune the carb.

I am very meticulous about maintenance, changing the engine oil and gear oil often, keeping the air filter clean, checking the tire pressures before every ride, keeping a fresh spark plug in, adjusting the valves at or before the recommended intervals, adding seafoam occasionally to the fuel tank, making sure the carb jets are clean and the float level is correct, checking and servicing the clutch, variator and belt and of course keeping the engine and scooter spotless among other things.

Would I be expecting too much of the People 150 according to the following criteria?

extended 55 mph cruising two-up (265 lbs) on level ground with no headwind
maintaining 45 mph on long grades (nothing radically steep) or against a stiff headwind
holding WOT to keep up with traffic flow for a few minutes or miles (to keep impatient cars from running us down)
not worrying about overheating issues at higher speeds on hot days (100 degrees+)

We really love the look of the People 150, it's gets marginally better gas mileage than the HD 200, and most importantly I feel confident we can find parts for it and keep it in top notch running condition for a long, long time.   Being more than 50 lbs lighter than the HD 200 is a significant benefit too, sometimes the HD 200 can feel heavy.

I have an almost brand new 2012 SYM Wolf Classic motorcycle that only has 900 miles on it.  Thankfully that one is a Honda CB125 clone and there are some part options for it.  I never rode it much and am trying to sell it, but there hasn't been any takers so far.  I was thinking if someone had a People 150 a couple of years old without too many miles and still in good shape, I could offer a straight across trade and test the People 150's capabilities without actually spending any extra money.

But that's probably just wishful thinking...  I would really like to hear some opinions on the People 150 in regards to touring ability.   If it sounds favorable, I will sell off the HD 200 cheap and buy a new Kymco.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:50:59 PM by gitsum »
2012 Tomos Nitro 150 (made by SYM)
2009 Honda Rebel 250

CaMoTe

• View Profile
Re: People 150 two-up touring?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:27:59 PM »
not a first hand info but i've got a good friend who has been riding a people for at least four years already and he always uses it touring cross-country...  sometimes with his wife too..  though he's a bit lighter than you, i have never heard any complaints from him so far, just praises...

gas mileage is excellent too!  i see his pics he's taken during his rides and i could safely say that he is enjoying his ride...

John in PA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
If you want a Kymco for two up, I'd get the People 300i as the smallest.  (If you can find a cherry 250 GranVista that might do the trick too.)  The People 150 doesn't have enough power and top-end for one-up touring let alone two.  I spent a bunch of money and time doing the mods you were talking about and performance gains were essentially negligible.  Put your money into a bigger scoot!  See this thread for my results and summary of mods.  We got the P150 mainly for grocery runs while camping in a truck camper. It will serve for that.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7549.0

My overall summary of results is about halfway down the thread.

gitsum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:49:27 AM »
Hey John, thanks for the link.

Of course I've been doing a lot of research on the People 150, there's plenty of info and reviews out there.

Here is what I've found, even though it doesn't seem to match up with your performance results.

The rated horsepower of a People 150 is 10.2,   Top speed GPS verified seems to be in the low 60's for most people, a few have said high 50's. Top speed is power limited, the engine is not bouncing off of the rev-limiter.  The CVT is well tuned for the torque band, most people saying they can still hold 50 -  55 mph up a reasonable incline or against a moderate headwind.  The engine seems to gain a decent amount of acceleration from Dr. Pulley sliders, air box and exhaust mods, but no more than an extra couple of mph on the top end.  Owners don't seem to be having any overheating issues or engine failures from running higher speeds even in warmer weather, there are a few that run WOT regularly for extended trips with no ill effects.  The very similar engine in the Buddy 125/150 seems to enjoy the same reputation for being indestructible and having good power for an air cooled 150cc.   The Kymco Super 8 is supposed to have the same engine, but it is assembled in China, not Taiwan like the People 150.  For whatever reason it doesn't seem to have as much power and top end as the People 150, higher fuel consumption and when researching the internet it appears to have more problems, even though the Super 8 150 is a newer model.

Two-up touring?   I guess that all depends on your definition of what touring with two riders is.   If it means cruising the interstate at 70+ mph, then no, the People 150 can't get the job done.  If that's what touring meant to us, we would just travel by car and enjoy a lot more wind protection, comfort and convenience.   We like to see the world, smell and feel the air, take in every detail, not rush by with a hurried glance.

Another test today on the HD 200, a low speed 95 mile run down two-lane highways.  We picked a path that we knew would have some traffic, including the usual impatient drivers traveling well over the posted speed limit.   The test was to limit top speed to 50 mph, no matter what came up behind us!  And that's what we did, traveling between 40 and 50 mph the whole way.  Twice when traveling downhill with the wind at our backs, we crept up to 53 - 54 mph, but as soon as I noticed we slowed back down to 50.  On normal inclines we slowed down to 45 mph, on a few steeper hills combined with a slight headwind, down to 40 mph.  A few more cars passed us than when we travel at 60+ mph, but it didn't seem to be a problem or feel unsafe.  As a matter of fact, vehicles seemed to have a much easier time passing us when we were traveling 45 - 50 mph, spending much less time waiting behind us than when we cruised at 60 - 65 mph.

We have ridden these curvy and scenic roads through both mountain and desert scenery several times previously.  But this time we noticed stuff we just didn't see before!  While it took us two hours vs an hour and a half (riding time, stops not included) we arrived feeling more fresh than usual,  That's right, I guess less wind, less noise, and a more relaxing speed where definitely less stressful than traveling at higher speeds.  I haven't had such a relaxing and satisfying ride in recent memory.   It reminds me of good times on a 50cc scooter cruising through less traveled streets in the city, only better. 

My wife and I are older, and not in a hurry on our trips.  This kind of touring probably isn't for everybody, but trust me, everyone should try it at least once ;)

Bottom line, as soon as I find a good deal on a People 150 (new or used) I'm gonna get it, and then put a lot of miles on it ;D

2012 Tomos Nitro 150 (made by SYM)
2009 Honda Rebel 250

John in PA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:01:28 PM »
As long as you're happy at 45-50 MPH, you should be OK.  I wouldn't spend a lot of money on mods, because there is little gain.  Maybe the sliders, and definitely the larger tires.  I don't think the engine, exhaust, and intake mods were worth the time and trouble.  don't bother with a supposed unlimited rev CDI either.  Tires and sliders is where I'd put my money.  Check my posts on the tire size.  The Front tire is an easy replacement.  Rear tire involves significant disassembly and if you go up one tire size, you'll have to modify the hugger around the rear wheel by enlarging mounting holes to regain clearance.  Worth it in my book, YMMV. 
Cruising at an INDICATED 60+ MPH is believable for one-up.  That's because the People 150 speedo is 14-15% optimistic with stock tires!  It was reading 62 mph while my GPS was indicating 53-54.  The larger front tire will put the speedo almost dead on, as well a a HUGE improvement in handling.  Of the two, the FRONT tire is the most important one to change sizes on. 

The engine mods, too little gain for too much money and time.  If you mess with the exhaust only, you can just enrich the idle mixture screw a bit.  The NHRC exhaust is nicely made, and a very good fit.  I had to shorten the long spacer  that mounts near the bottom of the frame to get a good fit.  You will get some popping on decelleration with this exhaust unless you tweak the mixture a bit, and it stinks for a good many miles while industrial oils burn out of the insides.  If you mess with intake, you'll have to change some jets.  Apparently no one messes with these as much as they do the 49cc models, so I was pretty much on my own figuring out jetting.  the jetting "advice" I got from a couple of the larger internet scooter parts sellers was WRONG.  Trust me on this one. 

I'd be happy to answer questions by phone if you like.  PM me and I'll give yoiu a phone number.  Just don't like to see folks spend a lot of hard earned money and time for next to no performance gains.  I think Kymco pretty much has fuel and air optimized, and any significant tweaking may be in sliders, chassis (suspension) and tires.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 02:06:53 AM »
...there is no 150 on the matket that will perform for very long riding 2-up...with "normal ppls weight...

..parts will wear prematurely

...however, at a combined wt of 265???...lol..

..well, ya'll stand a really good chance at being an exception to the rule...

..but a 150 is too light to be stable on interstates..even the 300 is marginal there...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()