Author Topic: GTi belt change - dumb question?  (Read 1560 times)

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
GTi belt change - dumb question?
« on: December 28, 2013, 02:53:48 AM »
Does anyone know if the belt can be changed on the GTi without removing the clutch or primery pulley, like on the side of the road if it broke?  I've only been riding scooters for about 3 years, and have never had to do a belt change so I don't know if this is a dumb question or not. I have a Polaris RZR sidexside with a CVT and it is no problem to replace the belt on the side of the trail, and it has proven wise to carry a spare.  But how about the GTi?

Noticed there is a nice roomy space under the floorboards aft of the radiator and forward of the battery box to carry a coiled up spare belt.  Just don't want to be stranded on the side of the road with a broken belt if it can be avoided.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

agilebda

• View Profile
Re: GTi belt change - dumb question?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 03:43:21 AM »
AlphaBETAdog,

Unfortunately there is no shortcut in belt change. You have to squeeze the rear clutch in order to loosen belt. Squeeze rear clutch to seat the belt properly for installation in the rear pulley. After that, its pretty straight forward.

If you need assistance, just do a search on YouTube.com on "how to change scooter belt".

Good luck to you.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:26:39 PM by agilebda »

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:02:08 PM »
on my downtown I have to take clutch and variater nuts off, to be able to install belt , to tight a fit for anything else,. I have never seen a gt 300i, opened up,.

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »
Guys, thank you for the responses.

So I guess the belt is not replaceable on the side of the road unless I want to carry an impact wrench or breaker bar and holding tool?  Bummer. I like to be as self-sufficient as possible. I always carry tire plugs and inflators, and I figured if I carried a spare belt this would cover practically all likely breakdowns.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 05:19:27 AM »
if you have a 18 volt impack screw gun try it out on the clutch and variator nuts, my screw gun does, but you have to keep it with a full charge,.

gitsum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 09:37:22 PM »
The rear brake will hold the clutch bell and nut.  Carry a socket and wrench with a small piece of pipe that slips over the wrench and gives you a little extra leverage.  Combined with a spare belt it doesn't take up much room under the seat or in a top case.  If need be you can stuff a piece of cord or small rope in the spark plug hole to lock the piston in place and remove the variator nut.  Or you can carry a tool that locks the variator from spinning, but those are usually a little bigger and may be inconvenient to carry.

Mark the shaft and nut with a dot of paint on each ahead time or when properly tightened.  You can then have a reference point to torque things down somewhat accurately on the road.  It also works great for checking to make sure the nut isn't backing off.
2012 Tomos Nitro 150 (made by SYM)
2009 Honda Rebel 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()