Author Topic: It's official... I have a scooter issue  (Read 2104 times)

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
It's official... I have a scooter issue
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »
Not mechanical, but overall.. I took inventory of the garage and found the following:

3 motorcycles
4 scooters

A 2005 People 50 followed me home this weekend, tipping the scale to the scooter side.. I'm concerned about my safety and well being.. :)

First post here, so I thought I'd say Hi.

gitsum

• View Profile
Re: It's official... I have a scooter issue
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:54:03 PM »
You are not alone.  Two years ago I had four scooters and two motorcycles...

It has been a long hard journey, but with professional help and support from my family I am proud to say I am doing much better.  I currently own one scooter and one motorcycle ;)

It's a disease that you will have for the rest of your  life, and there will always be temptation and the risk of falling off the wagon.  Here are a few tricks I have learned that help.

1. Make riding whenever possible a priority always.  When you are out riding and enjoying a scooter/motorcycle, you are fully absorbed enjoying the moment and not thinking of buying something else.

2.  Buy a different scooter/motorcycle every year or so, but always sell off one of your others first!

I really wished you hadn't mentioned the People 50,  I feel myself slipping again...

2012 Tomos Nitro 150 (made by SYM)
2009 Honda Rebel 250

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
I really wished you hadn't mentioned the People 50,  I feel myself slipping again...

First post, and I'm already an enabler..

YES!!!

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 03:11:02 AM »
I just might be picking up my second scooter tomorrow night. Saw a heck of a deal on a used SYM Citycom 300i
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 03:28:38 AM »
It's so easy to do, and I've been a professional justifier for years.
This spring I sold my 1981 BMW R65 and this summer I sold my 2010 Guzzi V7 Classic.. I was proud of myself for making room in the garage and clearing out two bikes that were basically duplicates of my 1985 BMW R80..

But I already had a Yamati (Chinese) 150 scooter, and a Honda Helix that I toured on.. Justification reared it's ugly head, and I decided that I'd like a scooter that could operate at Interstate speed. The Helix is breathing pretty hard at 70 and any headwind or hill is going to knock that back down to 60. I hate to be a traffic obstruction, so.. A 2007 Yamaha 400 Majesty found it's way into my garage. Great touring scooter that'll do 100+ and is happy at 75 all day long.

And then I got an itch for a little 2 stroke 50. I used to own a Spree and I did a bit of looking.. An Aprilia 50 caught my eye locally, but it was in too rough of shape for the price.. Then I found this Kymco about 100 miles from me.. Salvage title, it's seen some cosmetic damage, but it runs great and drives straight. So, I've ended up here, starting a winter project of sprucing up the cosmetics on this nice scooter..

And my 9 mile ride to work, as long as there's no salt on the roads, is all at a maximum speed of 45, with most at 35.. So it should be a great little runner and ride to work..

One of these days I'll find a use for my BMW R1200GS other than long distance touring. :)

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 01:29:33 AM »
Good thread - thanks to the OP for starting it!

3 years ago I had no scooters, but 3 motorcycles. Then I inherited my dad's Fly 150. Quickly picked up a Scarabeo 150, then last summer a Kymco GTi300. Knew I had to thin the heard so I sold a couple of bikes, including my Moto Guzzi Stelvio. That was a tough one to let go. But as they say; "If you love something and let if free..."   Now the score is now 3 scoots and 1 motorcycle.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 01:37:27 AM »
I'll bet the Stelvio was tough to sell. It was tough selling the V7 even though it didn't fit me. It was a little too short for me. A Stevlio would be a good fit and it's something I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal. :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 01:43:57 AM »
If you guys are feeling guilty (and you darn well should!) for owning too many scooters , but cannot resisit buying them - I have a solution for you. Probably cheaper than a year of what you're paying that psychotherapist, too.

I have only one scooter - but also a wife, 6 kids and a pretty good dog.
I also have a hankering for a big wheeled scoot. Red, please. And new. No junkers. Doesn't have to be Japonknees - Taiwan is really fine.

Something from the SYM or Kymco area of the store. More than 150cc's but less than 300 cc's.

You guys get together and see what you can do.
I'll be sitting in my lawn chair watching for the Fedex truck.
Cold here in Ohio, nights. So, sooner is better.
I can send pix of me and the dog just a'sittin' - smiles on both our mugs.
Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:11:21 AM »
Want to get another scoot... but can't get approval from wifey... Suggestions pleeeease!

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 02:17:13 AM »
Green transportation, cheap, and stylish!! Just tell her riding a scooter makes you want to go home and do the dishes.:)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 02:24:33 AM »
Green transportation, cheap, and stylish!! Just tell her riding a scooter makes you want to go home and do the dishes.:)

I already have one but can't justify buying another...

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 06:22:48 AM »
I once had 6 bikes in the garage but then I got married and got rid of all of them.

Somehow a few came back so now I have a BMW K75, a Yager 200I and 2 old 70's Honda
Cub style bikes. I can't help it it is in my blood, my grandmother rode in the 40's and most
of my family has at one time or other too!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 03:34:09 PM »
I'll bet the Stelvio was tough to sell. It was tough selling the V7 even though it didn't fit me. It was a little too short for me. A Stevlio would be a good fit and it's something I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal. :)

Dang Paper, we should have traded! The Stelvio was too tall (and heavy compounded by being tall) for me. A V7 is what I should have got!  It was a '09 with 16K miles in perfect shape. Sold it for $7500

Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
Want to get another scoot... but can't get approval from wifey... Suggestions pleeeease!

Vivo,

I've always used the strategy that it is "easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" technique. And I have never been divorced - yet!
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 11:43:04 PM »
Dang Paper, we should have traded! The Stelvio was too tall (and heavy compounded by being tall) for me. A V7 is what I should have got!  It was a '09 with 16K miles in perfect shape. Sold it for $7500

Yep, we both lost out on that.. That would have been a perfect fit for both of us.. :(

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()