Scooters - 125 to 300 > Super 8 150

engine cranks but no spark; blinkers going crazy

(1/4) > >>

societyofrobots:
edit: skip down to here for the current status/summary
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=33917.msg237955#msg237955

My Super 8 150 has two issues that are probably unrelated, but I've failed to figure out how to fix either.

The first issue is my rear left blinker blinks hyper fast, while the front left blinker has stopped blinking. And sometimes, but not lately, a similar thing happens to the right side. This had been an issue for the last two weeks.

The second issue is that now it won't start. It cranks like a champ, fuel is flowing into the carb, but no visible spark from the spark plug. That said, if I hold the plastic connector with the spark plug in my left hand, and squeeze the metal breaks in my right hand while starting the engine, I'll receive a sudden electric shock to my left hand directly through the plastic. I was driving the bike fine the night before, and the next morning it refused to start again.

In my attempt to fix it, I've replaced the 12V regulator, replaced the light controller (assm?) box, replaced the CDI, replaced the spark plug, battery is good and fully charged, replaced fuel lines to transparent lines and can see fuel flowing, replaced vacuum fuel pump, and replaced the filter.

My theory now is maybe a blinker light has a short or the cable harness is bad, causing a grounding issue. But, haven't attempted to address this yet. Everything else electrical on the bike is working great.

Any ideas?

I'm no mechanic. My background is in designing circuit boards so that's gotten me about this far....

edit: Maybe not relevant, but the kill switch seems to have no effect. It cranks and everything electrical turns on regardless of the kill switch position.

Stig / Major Tom:
A rapid turn blinker means your other bulb on that side is burned out.
Some kill switches permit everything but a start. Cranks just like it is going to start - but doesn't.
Key on, brake lights must light when brake lever squeezed or scoot will not start.
Not working?, often the brake light switch behind brake lever
has failed...or is dirty. Spray cleaner....

Stig

Ruffus:
@societyofrobots welcome here!
Blinker issue as already said by Stig, check bulbs and relay.

Starting story:
-kill switch is nurtured by two cables green/ white I guess
-unscrew this item, clean and short this two cables with a needle
Starts?
Yes, then clean again and remove corrosion

No? squeeze left hand brake lever to start
No?
- pull off this two small 4/6mm connectors of one of your brake light switches, clean and connect them
-ignition on
-brake light on?
Starts?

Replace sparkplug cap.and cable.
Pls come back for questions or feedback.

societyofrobots:
Brake lights works fine for both left and right handles. So that's not it.

Kill switch works fine, tested it with a multimeter. Leads are in perfect condition. So that's not it, either.
(kill switch used two identical black/blue wires)

Spark plug still isn't sparking.

--- Quote ---Replace sparkplug cap.and cable
--- End quote ---
I just ordered this, will arrive on Monday.

The current spark plug cable looks good, great condition. Let's say it still doesn't work after replacing the spark plug cable, what else could it be?

Only the front left blinker isn't working, and it wasn't working for a week before this spark plug issue. Safe to assume it's unrelated? I'm trying to replace the blinker with an LED version.

Ruffus:
..after new sparkplug and cable..
- spark there on the plug?

If YES, is fuel coming into cylinder?
- sparkplug in and crank
- sparkplug wet?
Since it worked before you left it overnight, there cannot be that many culprits.
Spark and fuel, there I would search..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version