Author Topic: Anyone tried different tire sizes?  (Read 881 times)

rxrunner

• View Profile
    • Kymco Agility 125
Anyone tried different tire sizes?
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:30:47 AM »
I have a 2007 Kymco 125. Stock tires on it. 130/70-12 on rear. 120/70-12 on front.  It is new to me, and still stock, including the tires. If I am going to upgrade the tires anyway (maybe to Michelin City Grips), I am considering upsizing the tire diameter by putting on slightly larger tires. I am also looking to gain a net result of a higher seat.

Has anyone run any tires any other size than stock? If so, what was the result?

Example: It seems that I could run taller tires -- 80s or even 90s -- on front and rear and get a smoother ride, and slightly higher seat/perspective while driving. For my example, I will be describing the rear tire size  to keep it simple.
I calculated:
130/70-12 to be the stock size. Plenty of room between rim and fender.
130/80-12 - .51 inches diameter bigger than stock. Should not rub at all. For a total of 1.2 inches higher seat.
130/90-12 - 1.02 inches diameter bigger than stock. For a total of 2.04 inches higher seat.

Anyway, not sure if you ever looked into this further or not.
Obviously, I would need to modify the fenders with with spacers to use the larger tires.

cnydreamr

• View Profile
Re: Anyone tried different tire sizes?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »
Your math is slightly off. Even if the size stamped on the tire is accurate, the diameter is the total height of the tire. You will only gain height/ ground clearance with half of that, that's the radius. So for a .50 inch diameter increase, you gain .25inch of ground clearance. I also want to change tires, more of an off road tread. Best i've found are 140/70/12 kenda 761 dual sports. I'll bet there are other tires for street use.

rxrunner

• View Profile
    • Kymco Agility 125
Re: Anyone tried different tire sizes?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:22:08 AM »
thank you for helping me with that math, cnydreamr. that makes sense. In fact, that also "corrects" my math I was thinking about in regard to putting bigger tires on my RAV4.

So, I guess that makes me lean more toward staying with stock for now. I think I would like the look of offroad tires on it at the 140 width. I also like the look of Supermoto tires. Some day soon, I would like to do a trail ride and/or logging road ride with some folks. I have not connected with any other riders yet. I live in Seattle WA if anyone can recommend a club.

If anyone has the time, it woudl be good to either find on the Internet, or create a table that shows what size tire sizes generally fit on the Kymco Agility '07 to '11 models, and what the clearance is, what the ground clearance gain is, etc.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()