Author Topic: Tricky Trunk Latch  (Read 1515 times)

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
Tricky Trunk Latch
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:12:47 AM »
Good Day All,
 The trunk latch on my wife's Agility 125 has been a pain in the rear since we've gotten it. It has gotten to the point that it can take 10 to 20 seconds to find the "sweet spot" so that it latches closed. Opening is not an issue, but closing is never simple.
 Everything is greased up nicely. Everything seems to fit nicely together.
 I'm curious if I need to add a spacer of some sort to the "hook" (forgive my failure to know the appropriate term) so that it latches easily. do you think this would fix it?
 Anyone else out there with similar issues?
 The Agility 125 is a 2009.

Thanks,

PBAS

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

MikeKymco

• View Profile
Re: Tricky Trunk Latch
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »
Is it possible the moving metal parts are just not moving well and need lubrication?  I've had pretty good luck with graphite powder in locks, lightweight oil or a little grease outside the lock for metal-on-metal contact points in systems like this latch.  Just a thought.

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:06:53 AM »
Is it possible the moving metal parts are just not moving well and need lubrication?  I've had pretty good luck with graphite powder in locks, lightweight oil or a little grease outside the lock for metal-on-metal contact points in systems like this latch.  Just a thought.

I'm going to give this a shot. It looks like things are lubricated well, but I cannot exactly see down into the latch mechanism. I have graphite powder lying around somewhere, so a few shots of that will hopefully fix it.
Sounds horrible, but if this was MY commuter bike then it would've been fixed already... lol... but my wife just got her permit yesterday, so it hasn't really been ridden much.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

Jim Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »
Mine does the same thing. I try to make sure it is completely straight when I drop it into place, then I press down pretty hard in the middle of the seat. Seems to work most of the time.

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:29:19 PM »
Mine does the same thing. I try to make sure it is completely straight when I drop it into place, then I press down pretty hard in the middle of the seat. Seems to work most of the time.

That's exactly the same problem I'm having. I feel a bit better knowing that it's not just mine, but I will be fixing it. I'm spoiled by my Yagers latch: I can just drop the seat from 2 inches or more and it latches perfectly.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

Jim Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »
Good luck. Let me know if you figure anything out.

Bulldog80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
I added a couple of metal washers under the hook and that fixed it for me.
Kymco Agility 125
Yamaha Vino 125 (wife's bike)
Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »
I added a couple of metal washers under the hook and that fixed it for me.
Thanks Bulldog! I thought I should do that, and it makes me feel better knowing someone else has and it worked out fine.  :)

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »
Fixed! Did all of the above. Thank you!

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()