Author Topic: Front Shocks/Forks need to be replaced?  (Read 1201 times)

Emil

• View Profile
Front Shocks/Forks need to be replaced?
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:43:53 PM »
Not very lucky with my scooter lately - first I hear a funny noise and it's the big bolt that holds the muffler that was broken. Well, at least a trip to Ace Hardware got that fixed. Then I hear a funny noise and shortly after my rear fender comes off and gets stuck between the frame and the tire while riding 50mph. That was an interesting night (and pricey too). Soon after another funny noise. Didn't ride the bike for a week only to find out that it was the missing rubber piece from the center stand.

This time no funny noise. But my forks are pretty much useless (damn those horrible roads in Boston). The forks always kind of get stuck and I think the springs are gone. I would say that in the meanwhile the forks are compressed all the way down 90% of the time. Ouch my wrists. There must also be something funky going on with the seals, although I haven't recognized any leaks.

So my main trouble now is that there don't seem to be any replacement parts for the forks and I don't want to buy the complete OEM ones that are something like $85 each (and will likely only hold for another two years).
Did anybody here work on the forks? Are there any non OEM replacement parts anywhere or does anyone know of better quality aftermarket forks that are not super expensive? I asked Jianwayne and they have forks for $390 plus shipping!! That's almost a quarter of what I paid for the new scooter. It's devastating.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Emil

Jiffycake

• View Profile
Re: Front Shocks/Forks need to be replaced?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:54:11 PM »
I have used forks from an A125 w/ 2500 miles. I'll do $50 shipped to Boston if you're interested. The link to the part out is in my signature.
Agility 125 Part out and Complete A50 Motor w/ super low miles.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4718.0

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »
ive replace oil 97cc with 10w, in one side theres no oil...

now is a lot stiffer...
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:55:43 PM »
I've replaced the oil a while ago when the performance got bad, but I don't think it did anything. Just continued getting slowly worse.
Since the forks go down almost all the way just when I sit down I am sure the springs need to be replaced.
Thinking about Jiffycakes offer...

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:19:59 AM »
with which oil....

orig is like 8w.....

u can change with 15-20w....
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »
used 7w. the forks always kind of got stuck, meaning that they required quite some weight on them before they started compressing. on the road, when hitting a pot hole or small bump, they just wouldn't react fast enough. it felt like there was almost no suspension. so i thought i would try with lighter oil. i think other people here reported they have been lucky with 7w.
anyway - before and after replacing the oil there was no noticeable difference.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()