Author Topic: GOSH i am such an idiot!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1816 times)

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
GOSH i am such an idiot!!!!!!!!!
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:39:11 PM »
I was putting in my dr pully variator sliders today . Its the first time ive ever worked on one of these but anyhow i work on cars and bikes every day. I was putting it all back together and i slid the variator on with my hands and it slid right on (i thought it did ) They i put the fan on and bumped it just a little with the impact. Put the cover on and it was right. The fan was hitting the cover. Took it apart and realized the real fubar i had done. I guess some how i crossed the spline. I had to take a gear puller and pull the fan back off. The only harm i done was on the very end of the splines. I have had to fine two big washers to make up the space and then put the little washer on top and tighten it down that way. Im not going to be able to have a kick start until i figure out how to fix it. I gotta atleast get it where i can change my belt without so much trouble. i just dont want to take the variator off now cause i afraid the spline wont line back up at the very end. I feel like a friggin idiot cause i told myself as soon as i saw the splined shaft that i was going to be very careful. I dont know how it happened but if anybody has had to fix this without replacing the crank then please shoot me some advise. I never used the kicker but sure as hell i will need it now. Thanks everybody for your time.

Jiffycake

• View Profile
Re: GOSH i am such an idiot!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 04:52:43 AM »
1) remove kick start
2) put rubber plug in hole where kick start shaft goes through trans cover.
3) send kick start to me because I need one.
4) ???
5) profit!!!

;D

but seriously, I need a complete assembly.
Agility 125 Part out and Complete A50 Motor w/ super low miles.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4718.0

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »
no, its got to be hard way....
maybe welding, but i wouldnt like that...
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »
I have done the same in the past. I used a small file and a Dremel tool to clean up the spline. It takes a little time but is fixable and everything will wind up in the proper place. Here I thought I was the only one who ever did that!
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:05:13 AM »
Nope you arent the only one. I only got the very tip of it but its enough. Im gonna try a drimel when i get time. I met another gut on here that is a really good friend to me and he is a retired mercedes mechanic of 24 yrs and he even done the same darn thing. I dont know how in the f?#$ it happened!!!

old mod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:21:23 PM »
No you're not the only one. What happens is, if you don't pull the clutch plates apart the belt is at the bottom of the variator and holds the outer plate off, then when you try to tighten up the splined washer if not located, it will mangle the spline on the end of the crank!! I started it and thought something's not right and re-did it, luckily it wasn't too bad.
     WARNING, PULL THE CLUTCH PLATES APART, WHEN CHANGING BELT OR VARIATOR PARTS.....Dohh!

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »
Yep that makes perfect since too!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()