Author Topic: Fuel Gauge Sticking on E  (Read 901 times)

EJZohn

• View Profile
Fuel Gauge Sticking on E
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:47:17 PM »
The fuel gauge on my 2007 Agility 125 seems to be sticking on E.

I filled it up last night while it was on the side stand. This morning, I noticed that the gauge was stuck in E. When I lean the scooter to the right, the needle moves up towards F, never quite reaching it, but when I straighten out the scooter, it goes back to E.

My thought is that the sender (float) is sticking in some way and that I have to take out the sender unit and look at it. On the other hand, it could theoretically be the gauge itself, but if it was the gauge, I don't think it would register at all.

UPDATE: I opened up the tank and jiggled the float, and pushed it down a few times with a long screwdriver. At first, the needle moved and went back to E. Then, after a few times, it went to F and stayed there. So I don't think it's the gauge. It is possible that I moved the float the wrong way when I inserted the yellow tube from my 2-gallon gasoline tank. It is also possible that the fuel sender is just sticking more than it should.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:17:44 PM by EJZohn »

marioG

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Gauge Sticking on E
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
clean it...
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

EJZohn

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Gauge Sticking on E
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:50:04 PM »
Mario, thanks for your reply.

I just rode the scooter and the gauge did not stay unstuck. The needle is all over the place - sometimes correct (based on a visual check of the fuel) and sometimes creeping towards E. It seems to be slowly and intermittently unsticking.

By cleaning, do you mean the float and float arm or the electrical contacts on the sender unit?

Thanks,
Ed
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:27:14 PM by EJZohn »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()