Author Topic: What Are Drain Bolt Sizes  (Read 1603 times)

Red Horn

• View Profile
What Are Drain Bolt Sizes
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:52:28 AM »
Need to buy just the sockets to change engine and gear oils. I think they are 12 and 17mm. Just need to be sure.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: What Are Drain Bolt Sizes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:12:20 AM »
Crankcase drain bolt (where screen and spring are) is 17mm; gearbox, not sure, but 10 or 12mm is my guess.

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:38:31 AM »
gearbox, not sure, but 10 or 12mm is my guess.

This is my guess too on the gear box.  Just did mine two days ago but can't remember.  I want to say 10mm.

Red Horn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 04:06:28 AM »
Can anyone give me the definitive answer, 10mm or 12mm?

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 04:41:18 AM »
No; if you have to sweat the extra couple of bucks to get both a 10 and a 12mm socket, I am not willing to say. Go find someone with a socket set, and check it yourself.

Red Horn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »
No; if you have to sweat the extra couple of bucks to get both a 10 and a 12mm socket, I am not willing to say. Go find someone with a socket set, and check it yourself.

Ouch! Currently I am a poor college student and in the desert. If I had the option to borrow I would certainly not be asking. Honestly thought it was a simple request, and a simple answer from one of those who maintain their own vehicle. Request was not directed any any particular forum member and is open to anyone who knows the answer.

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »
It would probably be a good idea anyway to get a 10mm and 12mm socket, or just a metric socket set.  Chances are you'll need one or the other in the future, since 10 and 12mm are the most common size on small fasteners.  Shoot, I can get away with doing a majority of the work on my Toyota with a 10, 12, 14, and 17mm socket.

As a side note, do you have the tool kit that came with the scooter?  I found one on the underside of my seat.  I didn't pull everything out but it looked like there were a few wrenches in there...

Red Horn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »
No kit with scoot. I was trying to go the cheap route and get just two sockets because:

A) I've accumulated twenty years worth of tools and have a complete Craftsman set
    with sockets that I will have sent to me in a couple months.

B) Just bought the scooter and siphoned as much as I could out of budget to do so.

No biggie, I will find a way to measure the bolt. Thanks for the advice and agree.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()