Author Topic: Agility 125 Using Too Much Oil?  (Read 5642 times)

MrKymco

• View Profile
Agility 125 Using Too Much Oil?
« on: December 28, 2010, 11:56:17 PM »
Hi all and Happy New Year :)

I make this thread because I trust my dealer implicitly, but he has little time to assure me or explain things to me in detail, so i come to this great forum where fellow Agility 125 owners can chime in with opinions and experiences of their own. Plus I don't want to have to rely on the dealer for every little question I have, or every little thing I want to understand. I plan on getting to know my scoot, and doing basic maintenance on it myself.  And  I need to rely on myself and fellow Agility owners to set me straight, and help get me by.

So, welcome to my Kymco Agility 125 oil consumption thread  ;D

My scoot has just over 1000 miles on it now (1700km), and went in for its first service at the 640 mile mark. So around 370 miles ago. The oil was changed, 10W40 "motorcycle oil" was used. Which I believe is synthetic, since its motorcycle oil. The oil dipstick has six "X" marks on it. When I got the scoot back from service it measured up to five X's with the dipstick fully screwed in. Now, 370 miles later, it measures up to almost, but not quite, three X's. The stick is over 1/3 covered with oil, but not quite half covered. I called my dealer and he said so long as oil is anywhere on the stick, it doesn't matter how much, it's just fine. I asked if i should add some and he said "no its ok."

Trouble is in the first 640 miles of riding before the first service, the scoot used no oil at all. The stick was always fully covered in oil. But now it seems to have lost some? I spot no leaks, no crimped hoses, never smell oil burning, the scooter seems punchier then ever and displays good power, and its performance is spot on, 100%.

I do ride aggressively however, and go WOT occasionally, but never hold it there long. I ride hills sometimes, but  I usually stay at around or under 50mph, and my commutes consist of a few miles this way or that way, and several miles this way or that. However i do extend my rides sometimes, and have had my scoot running fairly hard for almost an hour at times, and a good many miles.

So is this just normal oil consumption considering those details, or might something be amiss? At 1000 miles I would think the engine is not quite all the way broke in yet, but it sure does feel good to me. I just wonder why it used no oil in 640 miles, and now has used a noticeable amount in the last 370?

Anyway, thanks for any advice or tips, and I will use this thread to update any changes on the dipstick in the days to come, as I plan on checking the oil every other day or so.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:01:08 AM by MrKymco »
scoots!

sparko

• View Profile
Re: Agility 125 Using Too Much Oil?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:52:53 AM »
I go out and sit on my agility nearly every day wishing it were running even if it burned oil, but it is about 20 degrees out there and mostly ice on the side roads.  Sounds like not a huge consumer of oil but I understand your concern. I will watch my agility closer mainly because my miles are about the same as yours. I don't run wot much and don't seem to have any oil issues. Maybe that is the difference. Check the plug is about all I can suggest and keep some oil with you just in case.  Some of the more knowledgeable people on this forum recommend the oil be changed quite often. Like whenever you have an extra 10 minutes. Can't hurt. only 800 milliliters. Pretty cheap. You won't have to go far to find someone who recommends not using synthetic either for the first 1000 or 2 or even after that. I don't know. I will watch this thread though so hope someone else has ideas. Glad your bike runs pretty good otherwise. I love mine. I really do. I was riding last week in 20 degree fahrenheit weather with a scuba snorkel sticking out of my helmet so the warm air didn't condense on the inside of my faceshield. I am sure I looked like an idiot but I didn't care. I was riding.

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 08:22:56 AM »
Think that 15w40 mineral oil is OK with GY6....

so 10w40 semi, as weight of oil is standard, at cold weather can burn quite of oil till work temperature.....than 15w40...

and also I run with third dipstick all the time.....without is problem...

FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:14:06 PM »
Hi all and Happy New Year :)

I make this thread because I trust my dealer implicitly, but he has little time to assure me or explain things to me in detail, so i come to this great forum where fellow Agility 125 owners can chime in with opinions and experiences of their own. Plus I don't want to have to rely on the dealer for every little question I have, or every little thing I want to understand. I plan on getting to know my scoot, and doing basic maintenance on it myself.  And  I need to rely on myself and fellow Agility owners to set me straight, and help get me by.

So, welcome to my Kymco Agility 125 oil consumption thread  ;D

My scoot has just over 1000 miles on it now (1700km), and went in for its first service at the 640 mile mark. So around 370 miles ago. The oil was changed, 10W40 "motorcycle oil" was used. Which I believe is synthetic, since its motorcycle oil. The oil dipstick has six "X" marks on it. When I got the scoot back from service it measured up to five X's with the dipstick fully screwed in. Now, 370 miles later, it measures up to almost, but not quite, three X's. The stick is over 1/3 covered with oil, but not quite half covered. I called my dealer and he said so long as oil is anywhere on the stick, it doesn't matter how much, it's just fine. I asked if i should add some and he said "no its ok."

Trouble is in the first 640 miles of riding before the first service, the scoot used no oil at all. The stick was always fully covered in oil. But now it seems to have lost some? I spot no leaks, no crimped hoses, never smell oil burning, the scooter seems punchier then ever and displays good power, and its performance is spot on, 100%.

I do ride aggressively however, and go WOT occasionally, but never hold it there long. I ride hills sometimes, but  I usually stay at around or under 50mph, and my commutes consist of a few miles this way or that way, and several miles this way or that. However i do extend my rides sometimes, and have had my scoot running fairly hard for almost an hour at times, and a good many miles.

So is this just normal oil consumption considering those details, or might something be amiss? At 1000 miles I would think the engine is not quite all the way broke in yet, but it sure does feel good to me. I just wonder why it used no oil in 640 miles, and now has used a noticeable amount in the last 370?

Anyway, thanks for any advice or tips, and I will use this thread to update any changes on the dipstick in the days to come, as I plan on checking the oil every other day or so.

The difference between 3 and 5 marks is maybe 1-1.5 dl of oil.
Top it up and forget it.
Also, why would you want to check oil every other day? Check it every 1000 kms, fill up and change every 2000-3000 kms. That's it.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:27:30 PM »
sparko that scuba mask thing sounds like its fun. maybe if the ocean out west ever rises, i'll do something like that  :-\

MarioG thanks for that info about oil weights, synthetics Vs mineral, and riding in the cold. i have done quite a few short trips in the cold lately (50F) and i suppose this might contribute somewhat to the loss of oil if that is indeed a factor. i commonly (at least every other day in the mornings) ride 2 miles, shut the bike down for an hour, and then a return trip of 2 miles. i do let the bike "warm up' each and every time i ride. but of course thats just to get it ready to ride, as i understand its not really properly warmed up for some time afterward

Axy thank you for putting the oil amounts on the dipstick in perspective for me. thats a big help. i will "top up" as you suggest with the proper oil, and keep an eye on it. the reason i say i will check the oil "every other day" is just for NOW because its used some. i want to make sure after i top up that it isn't in fact using excessive amounts of oil in a short period of time. otherwise i too just check it periodically

thanks a bundle guys, and this thread is still open for responses!

i have another oil related question, however.  the owners manual calls for another oil change at the 2000km mark. is this really necessary as the first one was done at 1000km? it also calls for a valve adjustment. seems a bit soon, as the scooter runs perfect. is this necessary, also?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:29:25 PM by MrKymco »
scoots!

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:02:21 PM »
I cleaned a empty dish detergent container out and filled it with motor oil . This makes it much easier to "top off" the oil in my small motors and keep the oil clean and accessable . Good luck .

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »
i do let the bike "warm up' each and every time i ride. but of course thats just to get it ready to ride, as i understand its not really properly warmed up for some time afterward

Axy thank you for putting the oil amounts on the dipstick in perspective for me. thats a big help. i will "top up" as you suggest with the proper oil, and keep an eye on it. the reason i say i will check the oil "every other day" is just for NOW because its used some. i want to make sure after i top up that it isn't in fact using excessive amounts of oil in a short period of time. otherwise i too just check it periodically

thanks a bundle guys, and this thread is still open for responses!

i have another oil related question, however.  the owners manual calls for another oil change at the 2000km mark. is this really necessary as the first one was done at 1000km? it also calls for a valve adjustment. seems a bit soon, as the scooter runs perfect. is this necessary, also?

You do not need to warm up the scoot longer than 30-45 secs, for a number of reasons it is counterproductive. It will typically take less than 10 secs at freezing temperatures for the oil inside the engine to circulate and start lubricating it. Fire it up, and after you put on the gloves and helmet, twist away... after a few minutes (or kilometers) you can floor it... (in this case, considering there is no gas pedal, flooring is not exactly correct term, but, oh, well...)

You can change it, as I said, every 2-3.000 kms or once per year, whichever comes first.

Some people adjust here valves very often (if you ask me, too often). My gf's A125 had first valve job at 20.000 kms and valves were "just a bit off", according to the mechanic.
However, I would adjust them every 10.000 kms.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:01:40 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »
Title this "MrKymco Is A n00b"  ::)

you see how i referred to myself in the third person there. i will continue to do this throughout this entire post, to distance myself from the fool MrKymco is

so, MrKymco is out riding this morning and returns from the gym. time to check the oil level in his scoot. MrKymco pulls up to his usual parking spot and notices something. this makes MrKymco think about where he checked his oil the other day when he made this thread, and the first rule of checking the oil in any vehicle or bike

this is a multiple choice question. pay attention boys and girls, you only get one chance to answer

When checking the oil in any vehicle / bike, you should always make sure that:

A. The vehicle / bike is on level ground
B. The vehicle / bike is on level ground
C. The vehicle / bike is on level ground
D. The vehicle / bike is on level ground
E. All of the above

Gee, I wonder what the answer is!

MrKymco checked the oil in his scooter on perfectly level ground this morning after noticing the slant in his usual parking spot. The scooter is full of oil, surprise surprise

MrKymco does not live up to his name, oh no he does not  :(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:44:33 PM by MrKymco »
scoots!

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 04:45:39 PM »
I am sure that has happened to nearly everyone . no big deal.

''i have another oil related question, however.  the owners manual calls for another oil change at the 2000km mark. is this really necessary as the first one was done at 1000km? it also calls for a valve adjustment. seems a bit soon, as the scooter runs perfect. is this necessary, also?''

that may only be an issue with the warranty side of things. ask your dealer if doing the oil yourself is ok with kymco. you may have to document it with receipts. ???

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()