Author Topic: no spark 2009 kymko 125cc (SOLVED)  (Read 966 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
no spark 2009 kymko 125cc (SOLVED)
« on: August 29, 2020, 10:09:22 PM »
Hello everybody.

So I recently bought a new kymko agility 125cc and sold my wolf Rx-50. The owner I bought it from had it sitting for a long time. When I went to purchase it the bike would not start, so I hauled it home and gave the carby A good deep cleaning. The battery was garbage So I replaced it with another new one from Amazon. I replaced the Fuel lines and put in a new fuel filter, took the mouse nest out of the air filter and cleaned the air intake Now for some reason when I go to start the bike it cranks but does not Startup. I removed the sparkplug and grounded the plug to the valve cover and discovered that I have no spark, If I crank the engine long enough the plug gets soaked with unburnt fuel. I also checked continuity of every wire with a multimeter, All have passed.

Tests I have completed:
Tested the spark plug wire and boot and have got continuity
Tested the pickup wire from the stater and have got good continuity
Replaced with new battery
Cleaned the carb Multiple times and have drained and refilled the gas tank with Fresh gas
Checked the valve clearance, valve clearance is set at .004 for intake and .005 for exhaust.

Im having second thoughts on the CDI module, when I turn on the engine the CDI starts to make a faint quick  buzzing sound ( almost sounds like a gnat flying in your ear) Could the CDI be the culprit?

I Know Kymko uses a DC CDI compared to the Chinese bikes, those use Ac.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that sometimes when I am cranking the engine it will start for a split second second and then Die on me.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:47:25 PM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
Re: no spark 2009 kymko 125cc
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 11:31:42 PM »
So I pulled the CDI unit off of the Bike and tested each lead according to the service chart with a multimeter set at 200k ohms, here are my results, Items in red are what my MM was reading
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 11:33:07 PM »
copy of CDI diagram
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 01:20:49 AM »
GREAT start! The ohm readout for the cdi does not look good. Have you tried reversing the meter leads to see if you get different readings? There was only one reading you showed anywher close to sped. That was the 1200 ohms. You have done so many things right so far I don't see where you could have gotten the leads backwards!

We got some Agility 125 experts on here that are way more familiar with the model than me. They will chime in soon, I am sure and give you some real help!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 01:26:09 AM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 11:59:28 AM »
That noise coming from the CDI is not normal.
I always keep an extra CDI in stock and a couple of minutes I opened the cover, closely listened, and both CDI’s were dead quite when the engine was turned on.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

aschrauth

• View Profile
Re: no spark 2009 kymko 125cc {SOLVED}
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 11:46:55 PM »
THANK YOU scooter fan and CROSSBOLT!!. It was the CDI after all; The one from Amazon arrived today and the old CDI went stright into the garbage can. Plugged the new one in and it fired right up. This new one has two extra features, It removes the REV limiter and it is adjustable.  :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:48:37 PM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

scooterfan

• View Profile
Re: no spark 2009 kymko 125cc (SOLVED)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 04:32:10 AM »
Good to know that you got it sorted.
What is the milage on the faulty CDI ? Do you know whether it was an original component ? (If original, the Kymco name should be on the plastic cover)

Maybe you should also do a voltage test at the battery when the engine is running. I am not sure, but I think there is a possibility that a CDI can be killed if the Voltage Regulator is faulty. A faulty Regulator can obviously kill a battery as well.

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 07:12:04 PM »
the mileage was only 900km and yes it was an original Equipment Kymco CDI
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 02:11:41 AM »
900 km is a bit shocking.
My Agility’s original CDI died at 9300 km. I only guess it covered 9300 km - because I bought the scooter 2nd hand. Maybe it has been replaced before, I don’t know.

At the time the original CDI on my scoot died it was replaced with a cheap 2nd hand Chinese CDI. At this stage the cheap Chinese CDI has already covered more than 15 700 km on my scoot. I have no idea how many kms it had covered before.

I always keep extra components in stock, so I bought a similar new Chinese CDI as well. The price was about 3 times less than the price of an original CDI at the local agents.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()