Author Topic: Chinese CVT belt quality ?  (Read 2047 times)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Chinese CVT belt quality ?
« on: July 09, 2020, 11:04:50 AM »
My Agility will be serviced within the next 200 km. The CVT belt on the Agility is still original and at this stage it almost covered 24 000 kms in total. I realized it would not be wise to push my luck any longer, so I started shopping around in our area for a new belt.
The local Kymco agents (Yamaha actually) quoted ZAR 750.00 (US44.50) for a new belt.
A local dealer who specialize in selling parts for all sorts of scooters and motorcycles quoted ZAR209.00 (US$12.40) for a suitable Chinese belt. Which means for the price of one genuine Kymco belt, I can actually buy 3 Chinese belts and still have some change in my pocket.

I must admit, I am not loyal to our local Kymco dealers. Yamaha has been appointed as Kymco dealers in our county more than a year ago. Since their appointment a local Yamaha dealer never had a single Kymco on their floor - while they always have Yamaha scooters in their showroom.

My question is - does anyone have experience with Chinese drive-belts ? Could three Chinese belts outlast the lifespan of one genuine Kymco drive belt ?
I must admit - I am very itchy to get hold of a Chinese drive belt.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese CVT belt quality ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »
Well...when will you be swapping out the Chinese belts?
When they break?
I stayed with OEM belts on my Kymco, Burgman, Honda and Piaggio. ...because I ride daily in , or can imagine, several situations where I would NOT want my belt to fail.
It would be like some one hitting the kill switch on me in traffic....and I have enough to deal with in traffic to want to be wondering about the quality of  my Chinese drive belt!
Stig
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 11:33:19 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 06:45:17 PM »
Well I actually see it this way - when my Agility’s original, genuine CDI failed at 9300 km, my one son who lives nearby had to help me out with his truck to get the scooter back at home. The genuine Kymco CDI has been replaced with a cheap second hand Chinese CDI, which at this stage already covered almost 14 700 km. Which means at this stage the cheap Chinese CDI already covered about 5400 km MORE than the original  genuine component.

It might sound silly to compare a drive belt with a CDI - but my point is, getting stranded along the road with a broken belt can’t be worse than getting stranded along the road with a cooked CDI. Should a Chinese belt let me down in future I can always just give my son a shout to help me out with his truck again.

Since my initial post I started having a look at Chinese scooter forums, and so far I could not find any complains about early belt failures. There are lots of other problems though. I might have missed something, but one owner mentioned his belt has been replaced after more than 14 000 km.
I usually only commute around town at fairly low speed so I think I will take a chance with a Chinese belt.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 09:01:27 PM »
The main issue with Chinese belts is the uncertainty of what you are getting. Yes, there are many good Chinese belts, but with lacking quality control and the countless garbage copies flooding the market there is little way to know.

I'm not opposed to Chinese gy6 components and have a complete 115mm variator with rollers in the mail that cost only $14.99. I got it for mod experimentation and am not concerned about the quality.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »
Divide price of Kymco belt by yrs of service.
Not expensive.
Some scoot mechanics tell stories of how much expensive damage a belt can do when it breaks.
Especially "Kevlar " knock-offs.
Concensus here is stick with the excellent quality of Kymco  belts.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 01:01:32 AM »
Please bring me up to speed on this. Have never though of my belt.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 10:10:21 AM »
Please bring me up to speed on this. Have never though of my belt.

My intention is to do regular inspections after installation. I will forward some feedback from time to time.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 10:52:15 AM »
I have had 5 different belts so far.
The best one was the original, but it was, and still is, the most expensive.
Had a Chinese belt that literally exploded while riding. I almost feel off the scooter when it happened, because it blocked the rear wheel for a moment.
It made a mess inside, had to take the clutch apart to clean everything.
So far the best non OEM belt I've had is from Bando. Was still good after 12000km.
Now I have a Mitsuboshi belt on, and it's ok, but will go back to Bando belt next time.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:04:43 AM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »
" Chinese quality " is a big risk also in this case.Why you would risk your ride because of "cheap" sh**? Does not make sense to me. Gates belt are trustable, as OEM, use them and enjoy your ride, also for example very warm conditions when quality is measured. Your call althought, think twice and wisely IMHO.
Seeking used Kymco moped scooter

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 01:25:35 PM »
Gotta go OEM.    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 02:03:52 PM »
I have had 5 different belts so far.
The best one was the original, but it was, and still is, the most expensive.
Had a Chinese belt that literally exploded while riding. I almost feel off the scooter when it happened, because it blocked the rear wheel for a moment.
It made a mess inside, had to take the clutch apart to clean everything.
So far the best non OEM belt I've had is from Bando. Was still good after 12000km.
Now I have a Mitsuboshi belt on, and it's ok, but will go back to Bando belt next time.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Well your tipe of comments are what I was actually looking for. I am quite technical minded, and always like comments from people with personal experience.
 I am a member of several motorcycle and other groups, and I often see comments from people who do brand bashing while they actually try to push brands of their own liking, therefore my “attitude” - I always like to learn from facts.

If I may ask:

1. I assume the belt which “exploded” was on an Agility (lightweight scooter) ?
2. What brand was the belt which exploded ?
3. How many miles on the belt at the time when it exploded ?
4. At what speed did the belt explode ?
5. Did you often cover long distances under hot conditions with the belt which exploded ?
6. Did you get a feeling, or experience any warning indications that something was wrong with the drive-train before the belt exploded ?
7. Did you do regular maintenance on the CVT system before the belt exploded ?

Sorry about all the questions - I would really appreciate some answers.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 03:05:59 PM »
Bando and Mitsuboshi are both  kymco supplyers

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 04:22:48 PM »
Any belt will fail catastrophically if taken to that point of use which I wouldn't do. Just last week I lost an OEM belt and it makes a nasty mess and locked the rear wheel in my case(I was at 71 mph on a highway straight). Although an aftermarket belt and an OEM fail in the same fashion, the bando belt will last a lot longer before reaching that point.
Become the best you can with what you have.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 05:22:16 PM »
Any belt will fail catastrophically if taken to that point of use which I wouldn't do. Just last week I lost an OEM belt and it makes a nasty mess and locked the rear wheel in my case(I was at 71 mph on a highway straight). Although an aftermarket belt and an OEM fail in the same fashion, the bando belt will last a lot longer before reaching that point.

Maybe high speed and excessive heat can cause such problems ?
What was the miles on the belt, and has it often been used at such high speed for long distances on the road ?
To my understanding the ratios on your pulleys are slightly different ?

P.S. I think at 71m/H the engine RPM’s will be very high, the engine and pulley heat might be quite higher, and the belt will work much harder - specially during a longer trip ?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:46:00 PM by scooterfan »

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 12:31:15 AM »
I'm at 27,000 km. Does it need to be changed?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()