Author Topic: Extra gasoline storage under the seat?  (Read 1823 times)

mike11148

• View Profile
Extra gasoline storage under the seat?
« on: May 05, 2016, 06:23:12 PM »
I refuse to use gasoline containing ethanol in any of my small gasoline engines especially my new agility 125.I have one source locally to purchase ethanol free gas and I keep 20 gallons in a shed behind my house.I plan on taking several trips this summer that are in the 160 to 200 mile round trip.One tank of gas will not be enough for these trips.I was thinking of filling 4 one quart empty plastic motor oil containers with my ethanol free gas and storing them in zip lock baggies under the seat.It sounds a bit dangerous but I think it will work.Any thoughts or opinions or other storage ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

mclark999

• View Profile
Re: Extra gasoline storage under the seat?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 07:13:40 PM »
Might be easier to use Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment when you travel. An 8 ounce bottle will treat 48 gallons. Available on Amazon

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 07:52:55 PM »
Gets hot under that seat. Better a 1 gal can on floorboard between yer feet!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:03:40 PM »
Gets hot under that seat. Better a 1 gal can on floorboard between yer feet!

Karl

+1 to that

(Mike.....what kind of modern engine protecting additives does your non-ethanol gas contain? And remember these 125's are being used in many 3rd world countries where you buy your fuel out of an old Pepsi bottle from a roadside stand. If these scoots were being damaged by modern gasoline blends - they would not be able to keep selling them the world over.)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mike11148

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 12:23:15 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.I'm leaning towards the gallon container on the floor of the scooter.I will give some thought to making a removable box to put the gas can in.
I have had my share of severe problems using gasoline with ethanol in it from my chainsaw to my last scooter.My local fire department has not used gasoline with ethanol in it in any of their emergency equipment for many years because of all the issues they had.They were using some special racing fuel that came in 50 gallon drums until non ethanol fuel became available locally.We have a very small airport in town which sells only non ethanol fuels but only if you have a pilot license,which I do not.They told me that it is a felony to put ethanol gasoline into any aircraft because of all the damage it does to fuel lines and carburetors.I bought a gas operated leaf blower last fall which the manual clearly stated the warranty would be void if gasoline containing ethanol was used in it.I truly believe the ethanol problem is real and so do the professionals I've spoken to.
I have heard of star-tron and if it were my last resort I would use it but for now at least its not my last resort.
Thanks again for the ideas......

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:29:23 AM »
+1 to that

(Mike.....what kind of modern engine protecting additives does your non-ethanol gas contain? And remember these 125's are being used in many 3rd world countries where you buy your fuel out of an old Pepsi bottle from a roadside stand. If these scoots were being damaged by modern gasoline blends - they would not be able to keep selling them the world over.)

Agree.
Modern, late model motors should not have adverse effects to E-10. I've used it in everything from scoots to cars to boats and not a problem. Of course all are late model.

When I've need extra range I've used a seat tank.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151425917199

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Jim Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:11:46 AM »
You're overthinking this one brother. Ethanol might cause a problem if you let it sit. But fill it up and run it out right away on your trip and you'll be fine. Really. Your extra gas plan is borderline crackpot-ism.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »
We always carry a can on trips because Dear Wife always picks bikes with small fuel tanks like Buddy 150, the Like 200i and the People GTi300. We burn whatever is available which is usually E-10. Used to live very near a station which sold non-ethanol at about 10 cents above all other stations but now only have Co-op that has non-ethanol for one dollar or more higher! Now it's E-10 with Sta-bil.

Karl
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:53:47 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 02:51:51 PM »
you can face a heavy fine with gas in a non registered container,  check your local laws,.   

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
Well whatever you decide remember to pack your tin foil hat.
Kymco agility city 125cc (2013)
4000km

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()