Author Topic: Stalling ocasionally  (Read 2198 times)

beermak

• View Profile
Stalling ocasionally
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:27:58 PM »
Hi. My scoot since new it has been stalling. When cold minutes after the first start of the day..
I starts perfectlly i let it idle for about 1 minute and take off. I ride it gentlly in order to warm it correctlly. If i release the throttle it would idle perfectly but as soon as i accelerate it stalls. Happens once.. almost every day. After that it almost never occurs again during the day. Some times cold starting it might do it again... but not always.
Any ideas are welcome! Dealer said that its normal... ha [emoji36]

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Stalling ocasionally
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:59:49 PM »
Dirty carb first off. Secondly, if your dealer did not remove the cap over the mixture screw, it is tuned to a mystery position, I have uncovered them out of the crate anywhere from 0 turns out to over 4 turns out. Both can be taken care of at the same time.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:15:09 AM »
Its like as soon the choke is released this comes to life... i might take apart the carb and clean it. The dealer adjusted in 2 ocasions but none helped this issue. I suspect its in good mixture im getting very good accel top end and good fuel econ. Seems to be doing fine unless that..

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:27:23 PM »
Hi. My scoot since new it has been stalling. When cold minutes after the first start of the day..
I starts perfectlly i let it idle for about 1 minute and take off. I ride it gentlly in order to warm it correctlly. If i release the throttle it would idle perfectly but as soon as i accelerate it stalls. Happens once.. almost every day. After that it almost never occurs again during the day. Some times cold starting it might do it again... but not always.
Any ideas are welcome! Dealer said that its normal... ha [emoji36]

This is common while the engine is cold. Mine does it as well but once its warmed up it won't do it. Iv noticed a tiny hole between my airbox and the pipe that Carry's the air to the carb which I need to seal with some silicon very soon so its possible the carb could be dirty but I think it may just be a cold thing. It happened a lot more in the winter than it does now.
Kymco agility city 125cc (2013)
4000km

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 03:54:21 AM »
I always had strong feelings towards the carb but i never cleaned a 4stroke.. did like 20 times my old 2strokes. But as its a almost new bike.. wasnt sure. I guess im going to start by taking the pilot and main to clean can i get them out by removing the bowl only?
Its a maybee....

My guess.. loosen clamps for intake and air filter. Drain bowl. Turn it over unscrew bowl screws and then take both jets out. Is that ok???

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 07:14:43 AM »
I always had strong feelings towards the carb but i never cleaned a 4stroke.. did like 20 times my old 2strokes. But as its a almost new bike.. wasnt sure. I guess im going to start by taking the pilot and main to clean can i get them out by removing the bowl only?
Its a maybee....

My guess.. loosen clamps for intake and air filter. Drain bowl. Turn it over unscrew bowl screws and then take both jets out. Is that ok???

If its a new bike with no holes in the air intake anywhere then the chances of it being a dirty carb is pretty slim.

As for cleaning the carb iv never cleaned one in my life and I'm too lazy to bother I'd go for the lazy way of either spraying carb cleaner directly into the air intake at different throttle levels and if that failed putting something in the fuel to clean everything out like high grade petrol or sea foam/related products. You sound like you know more than I do about cleaning a carb so go for it but if the bikes basically new I'd wager you are wasting your time.
Kymco agility city 125cc (2013)
4000km

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
If its a new bike with no holes in the air intake anywhere then the chances of it being a dirty carb is pretty slim.

As for cleaning the carb iv never cleaned one in my life and I'm too lazy to bother I'd go for the lazy way of either spraying carb cleaner directly into the air intake at different throttle levels and if that failed putting something in the fuel to clean everything out like high grade petrol or sea foam/related products. You sound like you know more than I do about cleaning a carb so go for it but if the bikes basically new I'd wager you are wasting your time.

Actually, on a new bike the chances of the carb being dirty are pretty high. Bikes sit on the showroom floor, they don't get sold instantly after being setup and gassed up for test drive. Some sit for years. Most dealers won't clean the carb as a precaution, hence they get sent to customers with plugged jets. The #1 thing gunked up inside is the pilot jet which has a .35mm hole (very small), and simply spraying into the intake, or putting into the gas won't even touch the blockage. Might clean out the float bowl a little, but won't help the idle jet. As for doing it in the bike still, it can be done, but you might as well take it all the way out so your not bending over awkwardly and take it to the bench so you can inspect every last passage and so forth. Big one though, send a piece of wire through the idle jet and make sure you can see a little pinhole of light through it, remove the mixture screw (careful of the small washer and o-ring) and spray carb clean and make sure it makes it into the venturi area and out the mixture screw hole. Unless the bike sits a very long time hardly anything else will be clogged up.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 04:24:06 PM »
on a new bike
Are you seeing tamper-resistant fasteners on the newer model carb fuel bowls?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:26:19 PM by tortoise »

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 04:39:54 PM »
Are you seeing tamper-resistant fasteners on the newer model carb fuel bowls?

Not on the float bowl screws, but I haven't worked on the 2015 models yet. I've seen those on chinese scooters though. Use a dremel to make them have a flathead slit in them, then replace with regular Philips from the hardware store.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()