Author Topic: How can i get the Variator Nut off?  (Read 3787 times)

Sargasim

• View Profile
How can i get the Variator Nut off?
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:48:53 PM »
Before i get started here is some background info. I own a 2009 Agility 125, I got in 2011 brand new. Recently my belt snapped and i ordered a new one so i could put it on when i got home from school a few nights ago. Well after removing the cover and cleaning verything out i felt behind the variator and noticed that the rollers were not in the right places. (feeling through the empty spaces), i conformed this by spinning the variator and it sounded like a bag a marbles. I couldnt get the variator nut off myself because i do not own the tool to keep the variator from spinning. I ended up calling up my landlord because he has an air compressor and an impact gun.

The gun couldnt get it off, He doesn't think he has a big enough compressor, but I am sure his impact just doesn't work properly. So after that failure he tried jamming the variator by putting a screwdriver in one of the holes where the special tools go, Fastforward 2 tries and the variator face is broke in to three pieces. Two pieces broken off and the center with the nut still attached. Needless to say i do not trust his advice anymore even though i said we needed the special tool. I ended up ordereing a new variator face and it should arrive in a few days. Before i put the scooter away he said that he thinks the nut is a reverse nut and that it may be pressed on. I refuse to believe him because well, he broke the face, and i have yet to find anything supporting his theory. What should i try to do to get it off so i can replace it.

I was considereing getting a 12V electric impact but im not sure it will have enough kick to take the nut off. I live to far from the nearest shop, and even then their service fee is 89 dollars, plus a three day waiting period just so they can look at it, then even more waiting to actually get to it. I've delt with them before and refuse to go there again for service. Is it possible to get it off myself? if so please let me know. I miss my riding my scooter.
2009 Kymco Agility 125

245luigi

• Baltimore, MD, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How can i get the Variator Nut off?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:05:01 AM »
You need to stop the piston. Pop the spark plug out and feed in some synthetic rope into the cylinder (No natural fiber because it frays). Turn the variator till the piston hits close to TDC as the rope will prevent it from going all the way. Put the impact on the variator nut and zooooooooooooom right off. Perform steps backwards to put the nut back on.

I have never found reverse threads on a scooter before.
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas NextR Exhaust
TinyTach in Headset
2011 Kymco Like50 (stolen -> recovered)
PM's OK!

245luigi

• Baltimore, MD, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:07:16 AM »
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas NextR Exhaust
TinyTach in Headset
PM's OK!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 12:20:07 AM »
I have one of these from harbor freight. I really do not want to hook it to one of our cars - they are so computer regulated I'm not sure what this tool would do to them.
Can you hook it to the scoot battery - or a "Battery Tender Plus" ?
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Sargasim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 12:21:52 AM »
You need to stop the piston. Pop the spark plug out and feed in some synthetic rope into the cylinder (No natural fiber because it frays). Turn the variator till the piston hits close to TDC as the rope will prevent it from going all the way. Put the impact on the variator nut and zooooooooooooom right off. Perform steps backwards to put the nut back on.

I have never found reverse threads on a scooter before.

I heard about that trick. I was under the mipression that the nut could be removed with just the impact because it spins the nut faster then the variator. Is there any truth to that? Also thats the exact same impact i was considering. How do you power yours if i may ask? i have access to a battery charger but not a car battery, and i don't think the scooter battaery has enough juice to do it.
2009 Kymco Agility 125

245luigi

• Baltimore, MD, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 12:30:28 AM »
I think that it all depends on how torqued down it is. For my variator nut I have to use rope otherwise its a glorified kick starter. For my clutch bell I just have to use the parking brake.
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas NextR Exhaust
TinyTach in Headset
PM's OK!

Sargasim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 12:32:35 AM »
Thakfully i don't need to remove the clutch. And speaking of torque i was unable to find the exact amount. Is there a specific amount or will just using the impact be enough/to much?
2009 Kymco Agility 125

245luigi

• Baltimore, MD, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 12:38:04 AM »
Yea you gotta wait for the agility guys for the torque specs. or find the service manual. Personally I just use blue thread lock and my electric impact and call it a day (Dont hate!). If you are gonna use an air impact I would follow torque specs because they are wayyyy stronger.

FYI on my bike the torque spec is 36.2-43.3 ft-lb (Like50)
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas NextR Exhaust
TinyTach in Headset
PM's OK!

Jim Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »
$49.99 for an electric impact gun at harbor Freight. Spun that bastard right off.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()