Author Topic: Tool for Removing Variator/Drive Pulley  (Read 6880 times)

Lammy1000

• View Profile
Tool for Removing Variator/Drive Pulley
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
I will eventually have to remove the variator for service.  Any ideas where to purchase or how to make this tool?  Also, since my wife loves her Kymco so much I bought a well used Honda Helix that is a bit neglected and definitely needs maintenance.  Is variator holding tools compatible with most scooters? 

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Tool for Removing Variator/Drive Pulley
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »
G'Day Lammy, I don't know what system your's has but my ZX50 has the starter ring gear on the variator. To hold this to undo the nut I used a universal clutch holder which I bought from our local motorbike shop. For the clutch I made one myself using 3/8" steel for the pins, the handles are made of 1/8" steel, In hindsight I should have used 1/4" steel but it still works fine. Admittedly it did take a couple of hours to make it but I now have it handy when I want it. Here are some pics of them. Hope it helps.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:40:13 AM »
A strap wrench, and an oil filter wrench also work quite well. There are a ton of vids. on Utube showing all sorts of methods. Just key word Scooter clutch/scooter variator. Most everything you will ever need to know about scoots is posted on Utube.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:57:38 PM »
Can't wait to get started.  Thanks.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:58:33 PM »
It keeps me out of trouble...Mostly!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »
Are the attachment nuts for the driven and undriven pulley conventional threading...right is tight...lt is loose??

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
They have the standard rotation. That is a very good ? as many engines use counter threaded retainers. They are however Capture nuts. Meaning they both have slight deformities that make them stay in place on the FIRST install. They are designed to be used ONCE, and replaced. That being said... I reuse mine, and set them on using Blue formula Lok-Tite. It is sort of a glue for the threads. Many people are using battery powered 1/2" impact drivers to remove the nuts as they are fairly tight. I just use a 3/8" ratchet w/ the appropriate socket, and hit the handle of the ratchet w/ a hammer. 1 good shot will break it loose. If you can get a competent buddy to help hold it all in place the first time it may be alot easier.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »
...don't like impacts or air ratchets on my scoot.....nope....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 10:59:26 PM »
I've got a cheap Harbor Freight cordless impact!  It was well worth the $30 I paid for it!  I use it all the time and it's not really powerful enough to damage anything, but enough to get the job done!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 11:01:11 PM »
...see, i got this torque-o-matic elbow....like to feel what's goin on...

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()