Author Topic: Untapped Market  (Read 6890 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Untapped Market
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 09:00:54 PM »
Those of us who ride scooters know how fun, capable and versatile they are.  It would seem there should be a huge untapped market but it just isn't happening.  Even when people are shown how capable scooters are they still stick to whatever kind of motorcycle they already have.

I have ridden scooters with all kinds of motorcycles and people are always impressed however only one of those people that I know of actually bought a scooter as a result.

A few pics of rides I have been on with motorcycles:

My Sport City with an MV Augusta and R1:

My Sport City with a WR250 and KLR650.  I swapped bikes for a bit with the guy on the WR250 and he ended up buying a SYM RV200.

I led this group on a ride in the NC Mountains on my Sport City 250.

I led this gaggle of bikes on my Super 8 150:

Riding my Majesty with a VFR800 and Tiger800.

I swapped bikes with the guy on the Tiger as he was considering getting a small scooter but had never ridden a scooter before.  I don't know if he ended up getting one.

I have been trying hard to show people how great scooters are but it's a hard sell.  It shouldn't be but it is. 

One last pic.  Getting ready to run through Deal's Gap with some sportbikes.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:02:36 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 10:52:57 PM »
Those of us who ride scooters know how fun, capable and versatile they are.  It would seem there should be a huge untapped market but it just isn't happening.  Even when people are shown how capable scooters are they still stick to whatever kind of motorcycle they already have.

I have ridden scooters with all kinds of motorcycles and people are always impressed however only one of those people that I know of actually bought a scooter as a result.

A few pics of rides I have been on with motorcycles:

My Sport City with an MV Augusta and R1:

My Sport City with a WR250 and KLR650.  I swapped bikes for a bit with the guy on the WR250 and he ended up buying a SYM RV200.

Perhaps they won't. But it's never been tried. As I stated earlier, VERY FEW people even know they exist. You never know what people will buy until they know it exists.
Also, one of the greatest potential markets is the -- I want to ride on two wheels but I'm intimidated by a motorcycle- group. A few nights ago a worker at a convenience store was impressed by my Xciting 250. He seemed to be in his late twenties or early thirties. He said that he'd always wanted a motorcycle but was scared. But he also didn't want something that was going to get him run over. He'd only seen the little 50cc scooters and they seemed too slow and too small and just like toys. He asked me what I paid for mine. And he thought it to be reasonable. He felt that he'd be brave enough to possibly handle something like I had. I told him about the downtown which is only slightly smaller and still in production.

He then asked where I had purchased it. He only knew of the OTHER scooter store that only sells 150cc and under Chinese scooters that's widely known due to its proximity to The 2 universities. I let him know where the REAL scooter dealer was. He even asked about how to get the motorcycle endorsement.

All that within a 15 minute conversation. Will he buy one? I don't know. But two wheels now seems to be in his thought process now.
2009 Xciting 250

jayocampo88

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 01:31:23 PM »
I've never heard of any commercials for scooters. Sometimes Honda will run one for Silverwing but more often than not it's for either it's for its From or the small 50cc scooter (can't recall the name as of this moment)

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »
Sometimes Honda will run one for Silverwing but more often than not it's for either it's for its From or the small 50cc scooter (can't recall the name as of this moment)

Metropolitan most likely.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

jayocampo88

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
Metropolitan most likely.
It's the Ruckus I was thinking about.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 04:45:37 PM »
It's the Ruckus I was thinking about.

So close, lol.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 01:45:55 PM »
Out on a ride yesterday, trying to spread the scooter gospel but as is often the case, I'm the only one on a scooter:

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2016, 06:52:37 PM »
Perhaps they won't. But it's never been tried. As I stated earlier, VERY FEW people even know they exist. You never know what people will buy until they know it exists.
Also, one of the greatest potential markets is the -- I want to ride on two wheels but I'm intimidated by a motorcycle- group. A few nights ago a worker at a convenience store was impressed by my Xciting 250. He seemed to be in his late twenties or early thirties. He said that he'd always wanted a motorcycle but was scared. But he also didn't want something that was going to get him run over. He'd only seen the little 50cc scooters and they seemed too slow and too small and just like toys. He asked me what I paid for mine. And he thought it to be reasonable. He felt that he'd be brave enough to possibly handle something like I had. I told him about the downtown which is only slightly smaller and still in production.

He then asked where I had purchased it. He only knew of the OTHER scooter store that only sells 150cc and under Chinese scooters that's widely known due to its proximity to The 2 universities. I let him know where the REAL scooter dealer was. He even asked about how to get the motorcycle endorsement.

All that within a 15 minute conversation. Will he buy one? I don't know. But two wheels now seems to be in his thought process now.

Ok and here's  how it comes down.

The late 20-30 something walks into cycle dealer and says "show me the majesty etal" the dealer takes the kid the long way across the showroom floor, so he sees the bikes, and finds the dusty NOS scooter in the back.

After he talks down the scooter and talks up the advantage of a "real bike" .

Then He drops the big one. "For so much less money you can get a superior ride on a cycle., He talks about everything from speed to weight and why the cycle is foe you. Kid says he's intimidated by the cycle saleman explains that the risks are the same.

Kid thinks it over and never rides ......or buys a motorcycle.

Happens everyday and dealers I know are more than happy to admit it. They don't care for doing service etc on stuff they see on the rare day. People know all about maxis they just done want.

Maxis scooter are the ride of old dudes that don't want the cycle anymore.
Youngsters just see what they are. Big bloated scooters.

I know about old dudes I give the speech at least 100 times a year. Everyday 15000 boomers call it quits and head for retirement. If they want two wheels and are of able body the vast majority will pick a cycle over a scooter. Most likely a HD or Goldwings.

Just the way it is. The 200-300cc class ,IMO, is where scoots can make their mark.

AMAC
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:56:05 PM by AMAC1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2016, 11:27:11 PM »

The late 20-30 something walks into cycle dealer and says "show me the majesty etal" the dealer takes the kid the long way across the showroom floor, so he sees the bikes, and finds the dusty NOS scooter in the back.

Then He drops the big one. "For so much less money you can get a superior ride on a cycle., He talks about everything from speed to weight and why the cycle is foe you. Kid says he's intimidated by the cycle saleman explains that the risks are the same.

Happens everyday and dealers I know are more than happy to admit it. They don't care for doing service etc on stuff they see on the rare day. People know all about maxis they just done want.

I know about old dudes I give the speech at least 100 times a year. Everyday 15000 boomers call it quits and head for retirement. If they want two wheels and are of able body the vast majority will pick a cycle over a scooter. Most likely a HD or Goldwings.

Just the way it is. The 200-300cc class ,IMO, is where scoots can make their mark.

AMAC

No doubt it happens like you said a lot.  However, there are exceptions.  The Yamaha dealer where I bought my Majesty is owned by a guy who likes and has owned a few scooters.  He has tried to sell scooters but they just don't sell around here.  Despite this he recently ordered a couple of genuine Hooligans knowing they will probably just gather dust in his showroom.  Scooters just don't sell around here.  We had a local Kymco, Vespa, Piaggio dealer but he switched to KTM because scooters just didn't sell.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2016, 03:01:55 AM »

AMAC
I'm sure that you are correct in a lot of cases. However, I still refuse to believe that the market is tapped out. A market isn't tapped out until nearly everyone who WOULD buy one is exposed to them. And I guess I'm the atypical. But in 51 years, I had NEVER even heard of a maxi scooter. And I watch Tv, read various magazines and other publications that are aimed at my demographic as well as those aimed at younger demographics. I live in a medium sized area where the combined population of the Tallahassee/Big Bend area  is well over 300,000 young , working aged, and retirees. Again I bought one the FIRST time I saw one. Of course they will always be a small segment. But even a small segment has room for growth.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2016, 03:16:15 AM »
No doubt it happens like you said a lot.  However, there are exceptions.  The Yamaha dealer where I bought my Majesty is owned by a guy who likes and has owned a few scooters.  He has tried to sell scooters but they just don't sell around here.  Despite this he recently ordered a couple of genuine Hooligans knowing they will probably just gather dust in his showroom.  Scooters just don't sell around here.  We had a local Kymco, Vespa, Piaggio dealer but he switched to KTM because scooters just didn't sell.
you all have made compelling cases. And I'm not saying that you are wrong. However, in the 4 months I've had my scooter, NO ONE that I've met other than the 37 YEAR OLD who drives the Burgman 650 executive has EVER seen a maxi scooter before. Marketing involves more than dropping a scooter in a showroom in the hopes that someone will notice it. The manufacturers need to stop being lazy and give some support to their dealers print, Internet, radio, and tv ads should be ATTEMPTED. IF it fails, it fails. But if it succeeds, then they have increased their bottom line. Will maxi or near-maxi scooters ever take America by storm? Probably not. But is there room to grow sales significantly by exposing a product to the MANY who've never heard of it? Likely yes. Part of American marketing is to create a "need" where none exists. Lol.
2009 Xciting 250

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »
you all have made compelling cases. And I'm not saying that you are wrong. However, in the 4 months I've had my scooter, NO ONE that I've met other than the 37 YEAR OLD who drives the Burgman 650 executive has EVER seen a maxi scooter before. Marketing involves more than dropping a scooter in a showroom in the hopes that someone will notice it. The manufacturers need to stop being lazy and give some support to their dealers print, Internet, radio, and tv ads should be ATTEMPTED. IF it fails, it fails. But if it succeeds, then they have increased their bottom line. Will maxi or near-maxi scooters ever take America by storm? Probably not. But is there room to grow sales significantly by exposing a product to the MANY who've never heard of it? Likely yes. Part of American marketing is to create a "need" where none exists. Lol.

I did what you're saying but there are many things the rest of the world has that you don't have in Tallahassee ........ ;)

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2016, 10:50:21 AM »
That partly makes y point. That's what marketing is. Exposing a product to those who have never seen it before and expanding your POTENTIAL buyers. Since they choose to import those scooters to America, they might as well put forth more than a half hearted effort at selling them. As a matter of fact, I don't even see a significant effort made at selling the 150-300cc scooters which would suit many potential owners better than the 50cc ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 12:05:18 PM »
That partly makes y point. That's what marketing is. Exposing a product to those who have never seen it before and expanding your POTENTIAL buyers. Since they choose to import those scooters to America, they might as well put forth more than a half hearted effort at selling them. As a matter of fact, I don't even see a significant effort made at selling the 150-300cc scooters which would suit many potential owners better than the 50cc ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again geography.
Tallahassee has no scooter dealer of merit. Scooter only, quality brands. Most that ride the 50s there will never ride again after college.

I live in a place where the local Kymco, SYM, Genuine dealer can't keep SYM 200 and Kymco 300s on the floor very long. Hit the floor, gone. They buy NOS from other dealers that can't move them.

Now over to the local Honda dealers and see the Forzas just sitting. Or the Burger 200s being price slashed at the Suzuki dealer. Both are exposed to the same market whims and awareness yet one moves them and the others don't.

The reason is here we have a choice to be the second fiddle at the cycle dealer or valued customer at the scooter dealer.

Most of America has no such choice. It's the cycle dealer for anything with two wheels and those dealers have found that large scooters sit on the floor. They didn't just make that up they have watched them sit for decades.

You could make a commercial and run it during the Super Bowl and things will stay the same.
Most looking at two wheels have seen big scoots before.

I'll agree to disagree on this one.

AMAC
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:09:32 PM by AMAC1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2016, 01:05:33 PM »

I agree that exposure is part of the issue.  Around here you see more Harley's than everything.  So if you see Harley's all the time, have a few friends with Harley's then power of suggestion will lead you to a Harley.  On the few occasions I have gone on a ride with other scooters we got all kinds off attention.  If they saw scooters more often maybe they'd look into getting one themselves.

I try to get more exposure for scooters by posting my scooter ride reports on a MOTORCYCLE forum, where more than just other scooter readers will read it.  I know of at least one guy who bought a scooter as a result of my reports but there may have been more.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()