Author Topic: Untapped Market  (Read 6892 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Untapped Market
« on: April 26, 2016, 09:43:20 AM »
I wonder how great of an untapped market exists for scooters, especially the mid and large sized ones. I'm 51, and until I stumbled across my Xciting 250 and made an impulse purchase, I never even knew that scooters EXISTED other than the small "toys" I saw students riding to and from college campuses in my area. (Tallahassee, Florida). From what I see, there is ZERO marketing. And most people are just as ignorant as I was. My family was PETRIFIED when I told them that I had purchased a SCOOTER at all since we live in a rural area. And they thought I had lost my mind when I told them that I MIGHT ride it 50 miles to work. Why? Because they knew of the little scoot scoots they encountered which "old men and college students" rode which were "holding up traffic". It was not until they SAW it that their fears were calmed. Their reaction--- "OH, THAT'S MORE LIKE A MOTORCYCLE!". And my six siblings range in age from 56 to 64. My mother is 84. None of them had ever seen a larger scooter.

That's been the reaction of nearly EVERYONE who I have encountered. Even other SCOOTER OWNERS never knew that highway capable scooters existed.  Many now say that they want one too.

That leaves me to realize that the manufacturers and dealers are making a HUGE MISTAKE by depending ENTIRELY on word of mouth. Some well placed print and TV ads could potentially reach an untapped market and increase sales. Potential market---- anyone who wants to ride on two wheels, but finds a motorcycle to be intimidating. Those who live in rural areas and need something capable of 50+ mph. City dwellers who want something they can ride beyond the confines of 35 mph city streets. Those who want to ride , but just don't want to be "that guy" on the loud Harley.

Side note, kids think I'm "cool". And women see a guy who's just a LITTLE bit adventurous, but not a rebel😎😎

Just the ramblings of a middle aged man. Who until December 2015 had NEVER noticed a maxi or even a mid sized scooter. Bet and win, People, Grand vista, Xciting, Burgman, Reflex, Morpheus,  Helix, Or even the Chinese copies are Brand new words to me. And I don't live under a rock.
2009 Xciting 250

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Untapped Market
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 01:04:55 PM »
We don't buy scooters in the US.
Of course you'd never know it riding around here.

Those that do, for the most part, are hobbyists. throw in the fact that most maxis are the price of some fine cycles AND the dealers will steer one away from the scooters as fast as possible and the sales fail.

Years ago Honda made an attempt to run TV spots for the hip of the day and that to failed. Japan's big three have scoots but don't give a rats ass if they sell here. Also most dealers tech depts have little clue to how to fix them.

Unless there's a huge change in the thought process scoots have there niche and that's about it.

AMAC

www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »
We don't buy scooters in the US.
Of course you'd never know it riding around here.

Those that do, for the most part, are hobbyists. throw in the fact that most maxis are the price of some fine cycles AND the dealers will steer one away from the scooters as fast as possible and the sales fail.

Years ago Honda made an attempt to run TV spots for the hip of the day and that to failed. Japan's big three have scoots but don't give a rats ass if they sell here. Also most dealers tech depts have little clue to how to fix them.

Unless there's a huge change in the thought process scoots have there niche and that's about it.

AMAC
I mostly agree. But there's a HUGE potential market if they simply TRY, ESPECIALLY with the mid-sized and maxi scooters. When I saw the Burgman, I was impressed. It's luxurious.

A half smart marketing person can make comparisons with motorcycles and highlight the advantages--shiftless transmission which few motorcycles offer (for now). BUILT IN storage. Generally better maneuverability especially at lower speeds, and EASIER to mount and dismount.

Remember, the baby boomers are getting older. Many don't have the flexibility to mount and dismount a cycle. But can do so on a scooter due to its lower floor.
Put some well known celebrity in the commercial. A cute female, or a man to attract women riders . Scooters are great. And I know that if I reached the age of 51 having NEVER known of the Maxi or even mid sized scooter's existence, there are PLENTY others. And some, like myself will try AND buy.

This is America. Folks can usually sell us ANYTHING if they try. Lol.
2009 Xciting 250

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 05:58:42 PM »
At 66, I think scooters are cool too and have owned many of the big  Maxiscooters. But I am a minority here in East Texas as scooters are few and mostly looked down upon by motorcyclists. Like Rodney Dangerfield says; can't get no respect. The dealer's pander to profit and there's not allot of demand (yet) for scooters. However that's subject to change. Just wait until we get back to $4 plus for gas.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 06:42:46 PM »
Here in the USA marketing is definetly lacking, but another issue is dealer network outside large cities are few and far between.

Don't let the size of scooters fool you. They are capable machines. Iron butt comes to mind and adventure riders. Small frame scooters have gone from the North Pole to the South Pole, accross the contienent of Africa and so many other places. Sadly the lack of marketing by all manufactures have keep people in the dark about these wonderful 2 wheeled transportations.

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:20:50 PM »
I did some reading yesterday of comparisons of big scooters to similar sized motorcycles because of this post. I don't see the advantage of a big scooter over a motorcycle. I like my 50cc scooter because I can park it legally amy where I can park a bicycle and registration is only $6 for three years. If I couldn't park on the sidewalk, I'd have a medium sized motorcycle instead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 11:46:52 PM »
I did some reading yesterday of comparisons of big scooters to similar sized motorcycles because of this post. I don't see the advantage of a big scooter over a motorcycle. I like my 50cc scooter because I can park it legally amy where I can park a bicycle and registration is only $6 for three years. If I couldn't park on the sidewalk, I'd have a medium sized motorcycle instead.

It's for those of us that don't have a 32" inseam (seems most bikes that aren't choppers at too tall) other like the step through, those of us who don't want to clutch/shift (particularly in stop/go traffic or simply don't know how/have never done it), and like the integrated storage (I can fit two helmets, a helmet and other gear, or even a 5 gallon NATO can under the seat of my Burgman 650) without having to buy it. I find a lot of older riders who aren't so flexible anymore love them. I've not been much interested in a shifting bike less it be a BMW K1600 GT/GTL. I think they need to make more dual clutch bikes otherwise it's twist and go for me.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 12:25:21 AM »

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I understand your point. But just as there are those like you who don't see the point of a large scooter, there are others (like me) who see a large scooter as more versatile. While the demand for large scooters may never rival that of various types of motorcycles, I believe a SIGNIFICANT number would make that choice if they knew it existed.

I MAY buy a motorcycle one day. But I most definitely will buy another large scooter. Companies such as Kymco, And Honda make great dependable 50cc scooters that have much life left when the college student is finished with them. They could market themselves as a stair step company with products for everyone at every stage of life. One reason college students abandon scooters is partly because their introduction is a cheap Chinese 4 year, 4000 mile scooter that's high maintenance and unreliable. But if their first experience is more positive, they may be open to moving "upmarket" .
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 12:39:32 AM »
My Kymco dealer sells Guinune and Kymco in addition to the 695.00 Chinese scooters. He actually has a Downtown in stock. So people can actually SEE what an ALMOST maxi scooter looks like. But he doesn't have it prominently displayed out front. He does have the likes, and the Gt300 on display.

He didn't even have the used Xciting that I purchased on display. In fact, it didn't even have a BATTERY in it.. He had a well worn Sym city out front. And when I sat on it and seemed hesitant, he mentioned the 2009 Xciting. I had to wade through his other scooters to get to it. I was sold simply by SITTING on it told him to get it running, and I'd be back. The rest is history. No, not everyone will respond as I did. But I bought it as soon as I found that it EXISTED. I'm sure others could be brought into the fold with even MINOR marketing.
2009 Xciting 250

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 12:51:31 AM »
Mey Kymco dealer sells Guinune and Kymco in addition to the 695.00 Chinese scooters. He actually has a Downtown in stock. So people can actually SEE what an ALMOST maxi scooter looks like. But he doesn't have it prominently displayed out front. He does have the likes, and the Gt300 on display.

(Snip)

I agree I've always said if it's not on the shelf you can't sell it.

I'm spoiled as my local dealer, multiple locations, sells Kymco, SYM/Lance ,Genuine and a few China scoots. They have every model in stock most in multiple colors. On the floor today was the entire Kymco line right up to the MYROAD that has sat and sat and sat.........

Most of their sales are 150cc or less. They do sell a bunch of SYM HD200 and Kymco 300s but that's not their meat and potatoes. The 500 and MYROAD just sit and get discounted. Lots of choices at those price points.

I'll be a buyer of the K50 if it ever comes to the states. I'm a big Kymco fan and would drop the $$$ for the right big maxi. That said no matter how nice it is it will die on the vine here.

AMAC
They have
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 01:16:33 AM »

Miss this rascal...

I agree - 2 wheelers in general need more advertising .
Most of you are too young to remember how Honda single-handedly  worked to make motorcycles a cool, refreshing family fun bit of transport.
"You meet the nicest people on a HONDA !" was their advertising genius to undo the gang stigma of motorcycling.....or the loud, leaking British bikes that were so undependable.
They ran TV ads and magazine ads - and frankly I think it worked great....they sold 'em to us!

If Honda ever decided to start up advertising as refreshing and stylish as they did decades ago - I firmly believe that they could sell bikes and scooters again in a big way.

I got a kick out of this young lady.....

But this is a cool....

And of course the John Travolta Honda ad....

And, maybe the best advertisement I've ever seen.....with the best music  IMHO.....
Fascinating read re. how two young American fellows sold this film to the HONDA reps. They loved it , saying, "THAT is the scooter we want to sell!"

Stig
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:00:47 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 10:14:32 AM »
Kymco maxi scoots are not designed for anyone over 5'7" tall. Fix that issue and sales just might improve.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 03:45:48 PM »
Kymco maxi scoots are not designed for anyone over 5'7" tall. Fix that issue and sales just might improve.

It's kinda weird on the MyRoad. You need to be 6 foot with a 32" inseam to reach the ground flat footed at stops without being on your tippy toes and yet to need to be short 5 foot 5 inches with a 28" inseam or less for the riding/seating to be comfortable. I agree that Kymco should spend some time making the bike fit the market and yet the MyRoad was introduced in 2008 in some markets to the same complaints of ergonomics yet they have made no changes (mine is a 2014). I really do not understand these companies. I mean your in business to make/sell as many of these things you can or be the best I would think, yet it's like no one cares. Give me control of the companies products and we can out do them all!
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 05:02:16 PM »
. I find it interesting that the Xciting, which is a near maxi scooter seems to have much better seats than the larger My Road. It makes absolutely ZERO sense that the largest scooter has one of the least comfortable driving position for the 5'8" plus person.

Having said that, the MAIN problem is that folks are TOTALLY unaware of their existence.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:03:54 PM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 05:07:16 PM »
It's kinda weird on the MyRoad. You need to be 6 foot with a 32" inseam to reach the ground flat footed at stops without being on your tippy toes and yet to need to be short 5 foot 5 inches with a 28" inseam or less for the riding/seating to be comfortable. I agree that Kymco should spend some time making the bike fit the market and yet the MyRoad was introduced in 2008 in some markets to the same complaints of ergonomics yet they have made no changes (mine is a 2014). I really do not understand these companies. I mean your in business to make/sell as many of these things you can or be the best I would think, yet it's like no one cares. Give me control of the companies products and we can out do them all!

What kind of "genius" manages to make a SEAT  that is both too tall AND too cramped for the same person. It's a special kind of stupidity.
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()