Author Topic: Variator tuning/upgrade?  (Read 879 times)

Thaddeusss

• View Profile
Variator tuning/upgrade?
« on: September 06, 2021, 02:20:53 AM »
I’m messing with tuning my agility for the riding I’m doing - I live in the mountains and I’m mostly riding on steep gravel roads and even trails. It does OK but it really seems to have a dip in the RPM curve at midrange speeds - right where I spend a lot of time when I’m climbing hills. Like, RPMs start out in a good power band when starting out and climbing really steep stuff at low speeds, but as ground speed gets into the 20-40 MPH range the engine seems to bog down, and Rpms drop until I get to the top of the variator’s range, above 40 mph,  when they speed up again. I put some 13g rollers in and it seems to help increase that low speed takeoff even more, but didn’t do much for the midrange where I really want it. I don’t want to lose my top end speed because I do ride it on the (rural) highway sometimes and being able to hit 50-55 is pretty useful.  Am I better off getting an aftermarket variator than messing with the stock one? I was looking at dr pulley, malossi, polini variators, would any of them be better than the others? The DR pulley claims a wider range of variation, does anyone have experience that can confirm that claim?

Thanks!

Included is a photo on a trail I ride regularly (it’s the back way to town from my house, and climbs about 800 ft in 1.5 miles)

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Variator tuning/upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=30655.msg214654#msg214654
@Thaddeusss,
maybe read this and then make your decision.
For your use-profil MIGHT be a Malossi CVT feasable but depends very much on several individual parameters, weight, up, down, gravel, asphalt,....
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()