Author Topic: Downtown 300i - useful information?  (Read 14134 times)

woodbar

• View Profile
Re: Downtown 300i - useful information?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
Hurray - just had a phone call - box and rack dispatched today!

I think that for the UK, LED lights are only legal if they are OEM so retro fit might be dodgy.  When I fitted the modulator I did a bit of "overkill" wiring (cause it was a pain to get at the bits I needed) so I now have an extra 4 way multiplug connector available just in front of the battery/fusebox which has the following signals for future expansion - stop/tail/ground/strobed stop.  I was very pleased to find that the correct style multiplug connectors are readily available.

I was not sure what size of box to go for but I only really need it for helmet storage (I hate carrying the things) - my thoughts being that while I am shopping the helmet is in the box and when I have finished the helmet comes out and the shopping goes in!   I thought the 26 or 30litre sizes would look a bit small but did not want a suitcase perched on the back - so decided the 35l was middle of the road.  I hope it will be within the "wind" profile of the Givi screen (and me!) so not make too much difference to the drag factor.  Not sure about side-winds though - I shall have to wait and see.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »
The suprebrightled site sells DOT certified lights so in the USA that is not an issue. Probability is the UK is the same with certifications or at least similar. As far as tail and turn USA needs proper functionality and location along with the DOT approval for light output.

This I believe is why the flasher is not legal in the USA as a primary light as it gives the appearance of pulsing the brakes rather than their true realtime application. As a secondary signal they are fine. People I think use them as primary too but personally I wouldn't as while it drwas attention it sends a signal to the drive benind you at first that the brakes haven't been fully applied at a sustained rate.

While this is fine durring casual riding and light brake application if I have to go hard, fast and heavy on the brakes I want the guy behind me to know that and not see a flash thinking I may have let off the brakes....................

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 11:12:35 PM »
Yes I take your point on the possible confusion - but this is a fast modulator specifically for LED - it has a flash rate of 10Hz for 1.5 secs - I don't think anyone could imagine you can go on and off the brakes that quick.

On the other hand they might think you've got a dodgy brake switch!

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 12:53:26 AM »
That isn't as bad as the ones I have seen that pulse for about 0.5 sec on then 0.5 off then 0.4 on and off reducing to like a solid on etc. when I actually first saw one I thought exactly as I've explained, they we pulsing the brakes. Fortunately they were just casual braking at first but my first though once I realized what it was went to an emergency braking situation. Waht really made it confusing is the bike was infront of a car that was in front of me and I at first could only see this light action on the top box as the normal brake light was blocked by the car in front.

Yes I drive trying to monitor all brake lights for at least 12 seconds of travel in front of me and further if possible. Although maybe the side benefit to the rider is not knowing what was up at first I actually backed off a bit. If I ever determine there is something unknown or confusing in front of me I always back off. The detriment though is then other drivers fly by me racing uyp to the cyclist that are no where near as intent on the riders protection as I am.

Still personally I would rather have this type of light flashing in a top box or added light along with a standard tail/brake light. Get the attention but also properly inform of the bikes action.......................

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 01:47:04 AM »
while it draws attention it sends a signal to the drive benind you at first that the brakes haven't been fully applied at a sustained rate.

if I have to go hard, fast and heavy on the brakes I want the guy behind me to know that and not see a flash thinking I may have let off the brakes....................

I'm interested in the flashers as well and am doing some research.
I was the other day behind a Mercedes and noticed the alerting effect it had on me.
it's actually pernitted as ESS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Emergency_Stop_Signal_.28ESS.29
Which is the opposite of what you described. For casual braking it should go on solid, but for hard braking you get the attention grabbing flashes.

I haven't seen an aftermarket flash kit that is motion sensitive yet.
I like the kits that at least refrain from reflashing if you let go off the brake shortly.
I might try this one: http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=181&zenid=dacf97ec8a795ce85dcbbd536a5f6b31

I think 3 or 4 flashes with the 15 sec refrain cycle should work, without being obnoxious.
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 03:51:54 AM »
I'm interested in the flashers as well and am doing some research.
I was the other day behind a Mercedes and noticed the alerting effect it had on me.
it's actually pernitted as ESS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Emergency_Stop_Signal_.28ESS.29
Which is the opposite of what you described. For casual braking it should go on solid, but for hard braking you get the attention grabbing flashes.

I haven't seen an aftermarket flash kit that is motion sensitive yet.
I like the kits that at least refrain from reflashing if you let go off the brake shortly.
I might try this one: http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=181&zenid=dacf97ec8a795ce85dcbbd536a5f6b31

I think 3 or 4 flashes with the 15 sec refrain cycle should work, without being obnoxious.

Right, as a "THIRD" or extra brake light flasher (as per the linked item) it is legal in all 50 states. As I mentioned I would like this on a top box without a doubt...........

Edit; I am not sure how other countries regulate stop lights so it may differ from every location..................
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:58:26 AM by TANWare »

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
That's the trouble with all the differing legislation - it can be pretty hard to find out what is legal.

I am pleased with the modulator - it gives 15 strobes in the space of 1.5 seconds on first application (pretty fast) - if you reapply the brakes within 10 seconds it just comes on solid.

Now I have the top box fitted I may add some auxilliary rear LEDs which I can also add to the modulator output to give a stop/tail light function - there is a selectable option on the unit which will give 30% brightness with the brakes off and 100% with the brakes on - have seen it in action and is quite impressive.  It obviously means that a single LED (or array) can have the dual function.

The site I got the modulator from also do a motion sensed device - but this is designed to give a hazard flasher function under emergency braking which, strangely enough, IS legal in the UK and EU because several cars on sale I know have this fitted OEM.

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
IMHO one thing is the same, with all people after a period of time, driving becomes an auto function. We essentially can do it in our sleep. once it becomes an auto function you need to have expected signals.

Attention grabers are great for taking someone driving in the auto mode to bring the driving function back to primary attention but it takes time, even if it is measured in miliseconds, before they then realize the function. I would rather send the signal to get their foot off the gas and on the brake and then also wake them up.

Again for casual braking waking them up first is fine, my concern here is hard braking where people need to get to their brakes ASAP and miliseconds could become a major difference in the end result....................

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()