Author Topic: 1st service kymco+dealer=irritation.  (Read 4574 times)

duesouth

• View Profile
1st service kymco+dealer=irritation.
« on: June 27, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »
Fist of all I love my 300i, best scoot around, except for maybe the tmax (IMO), but the tmax doesn't get 70+mpg. However, in attempting to get my first service done, I find that I'm irritated beyond measure. First of all, Kymco doesn't have a great dealer network. So why does the servicing have to be done with a dealer? At least if you want to follow the warranty, which I do. Second, the dealers that are around, are far away. The closest is about thirty miles away, and they are two weeks out in scheduling! Has anybody had to schedule out two weeks to get what amounts to an oil change? So, now I'm already at 750 miles because of that (150 over what it should be), and with more miles to come until they can get me in. I'm tempted to do it myself. I mean, why put the "how to" in the owners manual if you don't expect owners to do it? My last gripe is I'm doubtful some of them even know what the 300i is. None of them around here really were familiar with them when I ordered it. Does Kymco put them through training on all the bikes they sell? The dealer that I ordered it from had one on loan from Kymco a while back, but I doubt they serviced it before. When they put it together, I had battery acid spots eating away at my transmission cover because they probably didn't know how to fill a battery. And I'm suppose to trust them with the oil change?? Thanks letting me vent, I'm done ranting now.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: 1st service kymco+dealer=irritation.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »
No, they have no training for mechanics, but they do for sales staff (scroll to bottom), and they charge the dealer dearly for that training. Go figure.

Also, this.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:44:12 PM by jprestonian »

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:50:19 PM »
My first service was at 720 miles, again as with you a delay. I'm at 2.500 now and also I went in early to see about service and they are 2 weeks back logged. The first service they also checked mine to be sure everything is tight etc.....................

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:49:38 PM »
That is the one place I didn’t have trouble except for no oil filters. I have them coming from down south now and today the local dealer let me know they have them in stock. Last time I scheduled mine a couple of days in advance. I am over 4000K on mine now so will do second service next week. Mine is idling slow and I don’t think they have the unit to hook up to the computer to adjust it. I will know next week, if not I have found a unit that covers most automotive computers and has a cable for Kymco.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »
I am sort of overwhelmed with the knowledge on here! As a layman which I am to all this, I would like to say here, it is greatly appreciated to hear all the pros and cons, Ideas, thoughts, improvements and again...knowledge here. I want to thank some of the people that take the time to place all this information where people like myself can read, enjoy and do things I otherwise wouldn't think about. I had my first service done early on mine and if I state here what happened to me with the service department it may be bad mouthing which I won't do. The problem I will have now is not being allowed to be in the service department watching what they actually do. When you are charged $70.00 + I really want to watch the doctor working on my life responsibility in his hands. I have to add here, the service department will be dealt with due to the umm well....!

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:52:36 AM »
now I'm already at 750 miles because of that (150 over what it should be), and with more miles to come until they can get me in.

I was told by the dealer and I found it in the manual as well, that the 1st service should be done after 300 km / 200 mi !
Are you talking about another service?
I'm about to call tomorrow, since it's a 50 km ride for me to get to the dealer...
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 03:43:20 AM »
I did my first change at 800K I am now coming up on my second at 5000K. I will let the dealer do this one as well and then i will start doing my own after that. BTW 800K for me is 8 days riding.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »
too much fun here as well, 100K a day is very easy to rack up on these bikes..................

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:10:38 AM »
Talking about my 1st service which was at 450 miles, oil change/filter and check. It ran me $130.00 for this and that is at $70.00 an hour. This was when I decided to switch over to synthetic. I thought this was too expensive for such a mere appointment and the what else I won't relate to. Meanwhile, at 950 miles I changed filter and oil and cleaned the oil screen myself. Cost, under $25.00 and am sure what was done! Why is it I just can't trust many today as far as getting something done? Reading some post a ways back, someone mentioned about Kymco Service is not a trained enough or at all knowledgeable enough for Kymco total service. If I knew there was a trained Kymco service department at a convenient distance from me, I would load up on the trailer and go there for service. Wish I knew all this prior to purchasing this particular unit. Yes, I do like it very much though. Would not degrade the unit at all.

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 09:12:50 PM »
Had it done, $70. I think they did the full service, and not just the first service, which is just basically tranny fluid, oil & filter/screen. Double checked the manual, according to mine, the first service should be done at .6 x 1000 miles. In other words at 600 miles. My second one is listed at 3000 miles.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 02:26:18 AM »
First service was at 900K and they went over the bike well as well as oil change and screen clean. Haden’t found filters yet. Going in next Monday for the 5000k service, oil and filter change, gear oils change and try to find out why it quit running on me the other day at 110K per hour on the way home.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

JENNY

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 12:41:44 AM »
if anyone needs a maintaince chart I would be happy to get it for ya.
They send us them for the scheduled services and shows by km what should be inspected, adjusted or replaced.

jenny
tnt cycles
717-453-7265
717-602-5901

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()