Author Topic: How long will you ride WOT?  (Read 10215 times)

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
How long will you ride WOT?
« on: May 14, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
After your scoot was broken in, how long do you feel comfortable riding with the throttle wide open? Is it bad for the scoot to be wide open on flat roads for long distances?

Thanks!
2013 Kymco Super 8 150 w/ Yoshimura TRC Exhaust
2007 Kymco Xciting 500 - Stock
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S Cafe

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: How long will you ride WOT?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »
WOT for extended periods is bad for any motor. I wouldn't do it for more than a mile or 2.
I have just over 1000 miles on mine, and I've only hit WOT once. That was only because I wanted to see what she had.
My Super 8 will hit around 55mph (approx. 62-64 on the speedo) with a little throttle left.
Regardless, you should always vary the throttle as you go to give the engine small bits of relief to avoid burning it up.
The sweet spot I've found is between 40-50 mph. It'll run those speeds all day with no complaints.
The Super 8 150 is NOT a highway bike! If you need to do prolonged highway speeds, you really need a bigger scoot.

NO VEHICLE SHOULD BE RUN AT FULL THROTTLE FOR MORE THAN SHORT BURSTS.

That's just my opinion. Let the debate begin!
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 10:47:47 PM »
My Super 8 will hit around 55mph (approx. 62-64 on the speedo) with a little throttle left.
OK skinny. I need a tailwind to get to 62-64 on the speedo (and that's WOT). BTW, 6feet tall and a svelte 230lbs (soaking wet).

On the WOT though, this is why I just ordered today a trailtech tach AND temp sensor. I take care of my stuff and I want to be assured that when out riding I'm not pushing this little beast too hard. I figure the more info I'm armed with the better I'll know my scoot. I plan on doing a lot of data gathering once it is installed. This week would have been perfect has it has rained 3 days in a row and expected to do so for another 2. Perfect time to do an install project like that.
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 01:00:06 AM »
5500 miles on my 163cc LIKE 200i.
It has never seen WOT.
Never will.
Nor have any of my cars.
But I DO give the Full Beans to my 1987 22" Sears mower. The trick seems to be: Never change the oil or use gas stabilizers in the winter. Fires first pull and smokes nicely every spring! I thought about looking at the plug and air filter once back during the Reagan admin. But, why mess with a good thing?
(the scoot gets new oils every 600 miles or so)
Stig
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:02:32 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 01:19:46 AM »
I WOT when it's clear ahead... like from a traffic light...  Then lots of motorcycles pass me... then I decelerate to a slower speed...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:54:53 AM »
OK skinny. I need a tailwind to get to 62-64 on the speedo (and that's WOT). BTW, 6feet tall and a svelte 230lbs (soaking wet).

No skinny here. I'm around 230 myself. And that little throttle that's left is only good for about 3 mph! That 1 and only full throttle run got about 67 on the speedo. And at that speed, with the Super8's stiff suspension, the ride is a bit jittery and not really fun at all!
Let us all know what you learn with the new sensors. Should be some helpful info for all us folks here to chew on.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

loganhes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 04:35:27 PM »
From time to time I go WOT on my 2011 Super 8 but never for very long. I have about 5,700 miles on her. Once I did a prolonged run at WOT and I got pulled over by a state trooper. He said the radar gun clocked me at 67 MPH. Luckily he turned out to be an old Navy buddy and he let me go.

--Jim

by the way...I am 5'10" and about 196 lbs     
150cc Kymco Super 8

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »
WOT all day every day on 4 strokes. The throttle position does not matter. RPM, and load matter.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »
WOT won't kill your engine if you don't do it all of the time. When breaking the engine-in, there are two schools of thought. 1st: Ride it like stole it 2nd: Ease you way up to higher RPM's as the miles progress. When I was @ 700 miles, I took a ride from Palm City, FL. to Indiantown, FL. 25+ miles (one way) almost @ WOT the whole time. When I stopped, I could smell the engine was very hot & needed a rest. An hour later, I was home @ my parents house. I sold my Super 8 & picked-up a SYM HD200 instead & it's night & day difference. I like the Super 8, but I think it's getting a tad expensive for want you get @ $2499.00 
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 08:36:32 AM »
The smell changes if you ride em hard enough.   What?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 11:40:59 AM »
I ride my S8 WOT a lot, but normally not more than for a few minutes.  I often ride WOT when taking off.  Occasionally I have jumped on the interstate and run WOT for a few miles.  Much of my riding is between 50 -60 on the speedo which is not WOT but is pretty close to top speed.  I have over 16,000 miles on my S-8 and the motor seems to run as well now as when it was new.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:00:03 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »
WOt doesn't hurt your motor, it's the start-stop traffic that kills your motor.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »
Depends.
Is it your daily transportation to your job?
Or your toy?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 07:39:37 PM »
super 8 150 is 149cc which is not highway legal (at least in CA)

WOT for extended periods is bad for any motor. I wouldn't do it for more than a mile or 2.
I have just over 1000 miles on mine, and I've only hit WOT once. That was only because I wanted to see what she had.
Regardless, you should always vary the throttle as you go to give the engine small bits of relief to avoid burning it up.
The sweet spot I've found is between 40-50 mph. It'll run those speeds all day with no complaints.
The Super 8 150 is NOT a highway bike! If you need to do prolonged highway speeds, you really need a bigger scoot.

NO VEHICLE SHOULD BE RUN AT FULL THROTTLE FOR MORE THAN SHORT BURSTS.

That's just my opinion. Let the debate begin!

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 07:40:54 PM »
as much as you want really, i've usually run it on max as long as the road allows in my area, which is couple miles/minutes.

After your scoot was broken in, how long do you feel comfortable riding with the throttle wide open? Is it bad for the scoot to be wide open on flat roads for long distances?

Thanks!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()