Author Topic: Wrong Start Relay?  (Read 752 times)

patrick328

• View Profile
Wrong Start Relay?
« on: May 13, 2014, 03:46:48 PM »
The 2001 ZX 50 came with a 30 amp start relay.  When I got my ZX 50, a 30A relay is exactly what it had.  When I finally installed a new starter (old one tested bad), I found it had no current going to it when I hit the start switch.  So now I started investigating everything.  I tested the start switch and the start relay.  The start relay tested bad.  So I ordered a new aftermarket 30A start relay off ebay through dragonparts0204.  When I got it, it had 20A stamped on it.  Based on my limited understanding, that may or may not be good enough to get the job done.  What do you guys think?  I get a weak cranking half the time and no cranking the other half.  It used to fire up just fine with my kick start, but I removed that when I installed the starter.  Planning to get new parts.  First they told me the factory makes 30 amp relays and writes 20A on them all the time.  Then they told me they sold hundreds of those and it doesn't matter if it is 10, 20, 30, or 40 amp - it should still work fine.  Not sure if I believe them thoroughly.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong Start Relay?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:02:43 AM »
The battery has a 10 amp (or maybe 15 amp I forget) fuse to the starter (or should have). The 20a relay is just fine.

Try a test light or install an indicator light to see if the relay is allowing current or maybe a bad switch in the brake lever is making it intermittent.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

patrick328

• View Profile
Re: Wrong Start Relay?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 05:58:54 PM »
Hey thanks for the tip.  I know the relay is functioning because the starter does crank.  I will check the brake switch and re-check the start switch.  Sounds like a logical place to look if the relay is new and sufficient, just like the starter.  After reading the manual, I do believe the fuse is 7.5A.  The fuse is still good.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()