Author Topic: What Mods Have You Done?  (Read 5611 times)

Punk052

• View Profile
What Mods Have You Done?
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »
I have been looking around for a while for modifications for the people 250. There are not many out there and there are even fewer pictures. So I thought I would see what people on here have done to their Scoots. I will hopefully get things rolling with mine so far.

I have a 2006 People 250. It was once the wine red color, but it is now Flat Black. I have been through several colors : Flat White, Baby Blue, Sea foam Green, And a Mix of those colors in two tone. But now, BLACK. I have the original windshield and I added a case in the back. I first changed out the headlight for a 3000K 55watt bulb. I love it and it stands out in traffic. It also cuts down on eye strain at night. I do a lot of night riding.

I have also replaced the front fender with the rear fender off a different scooter. A roketa I think, it was just sitting around the trash of the scooter shop here in town when they went under. It looks way better than the original in my opinion and after riding with no front fender for awhile, I appreciate not having water thrown up in front of me all the time. It bolts to the mount for the original fender. I have been working on adding some kind of fog light to either the same fender mounts or to the body of the scooter around the grill or below the turn signals. thoughts?

next I added the ABS like brake pulser up front, also a dumpster dive at the old shop. It works too. I also added the stainless steel braided lines at the same time. They were pulled from a track car I wrecked and parted out. I cut through the front line twice before I changed them, it was rubbing on the tire.

That brings us to the tires. They are 120/80/16 up front and 130/90/16 in the rear. I had to drill an extra hole to move the rear fender up a bit to get the rear to fit but other than that I love these tires. the change in the tires changed the whole feel of the scoot. I have more ground clearance and cornering clearance, but most of all it raised the top speed and made the scoot way better on long highway rides. I would tell anyone who needs new tires to look into changing sizes. There are way more options for the larger sizes.

I also added an IGT filter to the stock intake and rejetted the carb and changed the plug to a silver core plug thats a bit hotter than stock. I am looking for a new muffler, because the original is shot. I cut it open and shook all the crap that had broken down inside out and welded it back together. its ugly but holding for now. Looking at a suppertrapp shorty to replace it.

Last I cut the rear off below the license plate and rounded it to look better. I also added the planet express sticker to the side because I had it and I'm an incurable nerd. So the future looks to hold a new exhaust and maybe a big bore kit if I feel like it over the winter. I ride all year as long as there is no snow on the streets. Any one else have Ideas? Have you done something cool or unique and would like to share. Post up some pics. Tell your story. Show off your sweet scooter.

Punk052

• View Profile
Re: What Mods Have You Done?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »
I have been trying to add pics but It won't yet let me.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »
Mine is the S version.  I have done very little to it - bought a nice Givi windscreen, iridium plug, stay on top of maintenance, had it about 2 years now - 60 mpg pretty regular - kills my Honda Big Ruckus in acceleration and to end and mpg (BR gets 50) - now that one I did some mods to - haven't felt a need with the PS 250 - I like it a lot as is.  Dropped it once :(<<.

:)>>
:)>>

txgunslinger77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:09:50 AM »
Hey Punk, good post and I like where you're going with it. I've had my '07 People 250 for two days now and am already looking for threads on removing the emissions crap, swapping in a flat side carb and any intake mods. I'll let you know if I find anything and hope you'll do the same.  ;D

btw, my first post!

Thx

- tx

eugenec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:50:58 AM »
I had a nasty fall because my front wheel locked up a couplle months ago. So I modified the brake lines. With a double banjo bolt I connected two brake lines to the left master cylinder. One line goes to one of the front calipers and the other goes to the back. I figured if the right master cylinder only connects to one disc instead of two, it should not brake as hard as it is connected to two front discs.

Now my left lever activates the real brake and one of the front calipers, and the right lever activates another front caliper. When I squeeze the right lever, I no longer worry it might lock up the front brake because only one caliper is activated instead of two. When I squeeze the left lever, the braking is more solid then before because both front and real brakes are applied.

It did take some time to get use to it. After 3 months of riding, I am happy with the result.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 08:11:42 AM »
I have been trying to add pics but It won't yet let me.
There are free re sizers for picts. If that is the issue.
http://download.cnet.com/Free-Picture-Resize-Starter/3000-12511_4-10297789.html
There are all types
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:04:58 AM »
The linked brakes sound interesting. I know many new bikes are coming with that feature. I have the p250 so no dual front disks, but the little abs like pulser I have on keeps me from locking the front brakes. I just put a new muffler on after the insides of my original muffler found their way to the outside by blowing the back out and rusting away inside. (I wonder if the ethanol in the gas around here might have caused it). Also replaced the stator. Everything is running great now. Just rolled past 25000K. I'm looking at suspension upgrades now. The rear shocks leave a lot to be desired.

shalbern

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »
Hi,

I have a 2007 P250 and need a new muffler.

I do not really like the stock muffler, so what do you guys suggest that would be a good value and lighter weight?

Thanks in advance

(By the way, I use a 1 inch .125 thick neoprene o ring as a throttle stop, it's CHEAP and works like a champ)

Steve

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:07:28 PM »
I just put on an atv muffler I got for 40 bucks on amazon. It fit perfect and sounds nicer than the orignial. The paint is burning off but that's an easy fix with some header paint from any auto parts store. Beats the cost of a factory replacment. I would think any muffler that would fit the pipe and has baffles would work. You have to fab up a hanger but that can be bought ad any parts store too. I will try and up load so new pics today showing my set up. My only gripe is that when cold I tend to get theatrical back fires with flames if I come off the throttle too fast. (Not all bad though, makes people notice)

shalbern

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:13:03 AM »
Hey Punk52,

Can you please give me the details of the muffler you got from amazon. I really need to get a new muffler.

Thanks in advance

Steve

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 02:32:08 AM »
Hi,

I have a 2007 P250 and need a new muffler.

I do not really like the stock muffler, so what do you guys suggest that would be a good value and lighter weight?

Thanks in advance

(By the way, I use a 1 inch .125 thick neoprene o ring as a throttle stop, it's CHEAP and works like a champ)

Steve
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=250+gy6+muffler&_sacat=See-All-Categories
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

shalbern

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 02:43:41 AM »
Thank you Zombie for the link,

There are a lot of mufflers on that shown ebay page. Which one or ones will fit my P250?

Thanks,

Steve

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 02:47:40 AM »
I'll be right over to install it for you.
I have no idea Bro! Try contacting a few of the sellers. Most of the gy6 stuff is all the same so you stand a good chance of finding one there.
I would also suggest using the zoom on your browser to inspect the welds, and bends. You don't want to put on a pipe that will fall apart on the first speed bump.

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »

shalbern

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »
Hey Punc052, thanks for link to the muffler!

Just a couple of quick questions involving your install.

1. What header pipe did you use? Did you modify the stock header or purchase one?
2. Did you modify the bracket the stock muffler fits on, or did you use something else?

Thanks Again

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()