Author Topic: charging issue  (Read 3396 times)

Punk052

• View Profile
charging issue
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:39:55 PM »
Has anyone had any problems with your scoot under charging the battery? I'm thinking that the voltage regulator has gone bad because the volts that the battery has after startup stay the same but never charge back up to 12volt. Does this sound right and does anyone know where I can find a good and cheap replacement? for now I'm just plugging a float charger in at home and at work every time I ride and carrying a jump box in case I have to stop for gas or something. Its a pain in the ass and only a matter of time before I break down. I know its not the battery because its new and the problem continued but not as bad.

Punk052

• View Profile
Re: charging issue
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:50:11 PM »
no one has any idea where I can find a replacement voltage regulator? I don't have a shop around here so I have to order and I can't seem to find one that I know will work. any help?

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 05:14:25 PM »
Athens Scooter and Stadium Yamaha/Kymco both have online catalogs and will ship directly to you.

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »
thanks

JENNY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »
YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK THE STATOR AS WELL.
I HAVE VOLT REG IN STOCK FOR ABOUT 32.95

JENNY
TNTCYCLES
717-453-7265

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:19:45 AM »
I got a new VR and checked the rest of the hardware in the charging system with a multimeter, but I don't know what the proper output for the system is at each point. does anyone know? I think I might have gotten a bad battery and I found that the ground from the battery was a little lose and wouldn't connect back to the block when I tested it. I'm getting frustrated, I can trickle charge the battery but after the first time I start it, it never gets back to fully charged. the new battery I got won't take a charge from the trickle charger at all now. Any help with what the voltage for the regulator or the stater are?

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:37:40 AM »
Is there anywhere online to find the proper output of the charging system at each connection? I need to track this thing down. I got a new battery and it seems fine, and everything starts and runs fine, but the battery reads 11 volts all the time on the gauge at the battery terminals. I used to ride 80 miles each way to school everyday, and I miss it. I just want to trust that it won't strand me with a dead battery. what I wouldn't give for a kick starter.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 05:14:46 AM »
11 volts is a sign of a bad battery - you need at least 12.3 volts (13.2 is best).  A loose ground is enough to keep a battery from charging, but it sounds like a bad battery to me.  After charging it off the bike - what's it reading?  Have someone test the battery - it's free...  After that, search on this forum and you'll find lots of links to service manuals for the 250 and 250S (you didn't mention which you have).

Using a jump box on one of these scooters is a bad idea - their electrical systems are not that robust.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 03:08:11 AM »
I just put a brand new battery and it held 12.5 for a week off the bike. I have the people 250 and the repair manual, but the info on the output of the charging system isn't in there. I was hoping that someone might have access to that info. it seems to be charging but just not enough.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »
My DH guesses that charging systems on scooters are not a lot different from those on motorcycles.

The initial test involves using a good battery that is fully charged.  Auto Parts Stores are good about load testing batteries for free.  The age of a battery has no meaningful relationship to the quality.  New batteries can fail and old batteries test good.

Using a multimeter on the 20 volt DC range, measure the voltage at the battery.  A good battery will be ~12.5 volts

Place the scooter on the center stand and insure that the rear wheel is clear of the floor/ground.

Start the scooter and measure the voltage at the battery
It may fall to ~12 volts at idle RPM because the headlights may draw more power than the alternator can supply at that RPM.

Measure the voltage at various RPMs up to about 3,000 RPM.
The voltage should go up to about 13.5 but should never exceed 14.5 volts.

You may want to record these volatges in your manual if they are good.  If bad, then you must check:

The grounding points for battery, engine and frame;
The stator (Alternator), the rectifiers (AC to DC)and the volatge regulator.  For this, you will information that is in a service manual.

Just be sure that teh scooter doesn't go running off without you when you are reving the engine !

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »
the voltage at the battery never goes up, but it does rise at the stator and at the voltage regulator. Is there any other part of the charging system between the voltage regulator and the battery? I checked the ground from the battery to the frame and there is none, but to the engine there is a ground connection. I want to find the proper numbers for the voltage at the 3 yellow wire plug that goes into the VR and the proper voltage coming from the VR as well. It would help so much in finding the issue.

DoubleSC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 05:48:10 PM »
Your voltage regulator needs to have a proper ground reference to work - and that usually is the frame.   Assuming the bolt attaching the VR to the frame is clean metal, check from there to make sure there's a connection to the battery's minus terminal.

DSC

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »
I will check the ground to the VR and see if I can find the issue with the ground to the frame from the battery. Off with the body work..... again

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()