Author Topic: Wet lateral tar snakes in the pitch dark...  (Read 1309 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Wet lateral tar snakes in the pitch dark...
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:40:40 PM »
 ..with glaring oncoming headlights, in a fast sweeper are exciting. Couldn't really see them in these conditions - but recognized the symptoms.
Reminded myself to just relax, and let the City Grip up front handle them.
Stated I don't ride any longer in the rain at night....but was all geared up, opened the garage door to find rain. So switched over to the LIKE200I, after putting cell in ziplock bag in armored jacket and billfold under the seat...and rolled out into the night.
Clicked on the battery powered red blinkers mounted to rear crash bar for a little extra 'wet night presence'.

City streets are more interesting in the dark & rain.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Wet lateral tar snakes in the pitch dark...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:01:15 AM »
Even more fun in rush hour.

I work the graveyard and have what would normally be a reverse commute 'cept I'm already opposite most folks so I hit the tail end on the way too work, & hit it full on on the way home.

On wet days particularly  I do prefer the lighter scoot for the commute.  City Grips, & lighter weight make for a bit better fine control in heavy traffic, & I just don't need the speed of the burger since there's really no room to use it.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:35:03 AM »
Stated I don't ride any longer in the rain at night....but was all geared up, opened the garage door to find rain. So switched over to the LIKE200I, after putting cell in ziplock bag in armored jacket and billfold under the seat...and rolled out into the night.

That's why I have a Galaxy S7 Active hehe, even takes shallow under water photos.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »
I got caught in the rain, on my ride home from work yesterday, wasn't bad at all, until I had to ride over those "Right or Left" turn only tape or decals, or whatever they are made of. Very slippery when wet. Back tire slid out a bit. A little scary.

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »
I never intentionally ride in the rain, day or night, but occasionally get caught and then I slow it down and get home okay. Most times. Last time that happened, a sudden heavy down pour caused me to seek shelter. I spied a nice little pavilion, in a park and made a bee line for it, but there was one small problem. There was a quarter in cable stretched between two post over the drive. Couldn't see it in the rain. Luckily it was very loose and me and the DT hit it. Cost me two thirty five for a new Givi windscreen and a nice black and blue place across my neck. Couldn't swallow without pain for a month. ooops
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:09:23 PM »
The first time I rode the DT in the rain it was a little bit scary with no manual clutch to feed the power in.

Now it's just a matter of taking it very easy, particularly on roundabouts where lorries have a habit of leaving stuff behind - they used to leave great long streaks of diesel from overfilled tanks, but that's largely been eradicated now. These days the lorries just tear up roundabouts meaning they need to be resurfaced regularly. Apart from that, it's just bits of mud and cowsh** falling from farm vehicles that you have to contend with.

The DT does feel a bit odd in the rain though - maybe that's just me being a little more tense than usual.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
Riding in the rain always feels odd to me, whether I'm on my DT, or my old Yager. It just feels like I'm riding on greased teflon. It doesn't take much too make a bike
slip. I once rolled over a ball point pen when I was parking in front of my house. I could feel the entire back wheel slip laterally over the length of it. Definitely a WTF moment until I got off the bike and saw what caused it.

Be safe everyone,

- Wolf

wentwest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 01:16:10 AM »
The story is you can manage side slips and blowouts and the weirdness that happens with crazy road surfaces.  You have to remember to keep going.  Don't use the brakes when this sort of thing happens.  You have to ride through it.  Keep some power on the throttle and, when the immediate thing is over, then you can ease off some, not completely, and use the rear brake gently against the power you are still putting in with the throttle.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 12:05:30 AM »
Night riding and wet pavement sure makes riding interesting.  ;D The worst is cold weather riding and the dreaded black ice. :o

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:03 AM »
Night riding and wet pavement sure makes riding interesting.  ;D The worst is cold weather riding and the dreaded black ice. :o
I rode my little Honda motorcycle to work every day, all winter in Massachusetts if roads were clear. Street cleaner's frozen water in a corner woke me up one frosty morning like a cup of the Spirited Goat's "2 Shots-in-the-Dark" expresso does now!
Stig
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:27:50 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »
Yep, and with a humid climate that hovers just above freezing in the early AM I've been known to find alternate transport since going to a graveyard shift.
Black ice is scary stuff.

[quote auth
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()