Author Topic: 1st Serviced - query about the oil used.  (Read 2776 times)

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: 1st Serviced - query about the oil used.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 12:25:29 AM »
Read the owner's manual. Then do what it say's and have receipt'ts  to show proof. After that do what you think is right.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »
relax we've been there... enjoy

here dealers will put 20w50 regular from the cheepest brand and bike runs... at least it gets factory warranty!
when i took mine for the first service i asked for a better oil and they said.. theres no need. and gave me explanations like if i didnt know a bike burned gas. after getting it, went home and changed that poison.
and the service manager of the new bike i recentlly got.. asked some simple questions and my 4 yr old daughter might answer them better.
i no longer care for warranty...

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

Ithaca Like 200i

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 03:11:46 AM »
Paul, It sounds like you are covered. I would recommend a synthetic oil. When I got my bike I changed the oil at 1000 miles. The original owner had done a change at around 400 miles. The oil that came out was in terrible condition. I used a 10w-40 full synthetic for the change. I changed it again at 3000 miles. The oil was dirty, but it was as slick as the new oil I was putting into the bike.

Air cooled engines are really hard on oil. I used to find my old beetle destroyed the oil between changes. With an air-cooled engine the oil has to absorb and dissipate that heat elsewhere in the engine. The Synthetic oil doesn't break down as easily when heated.

Hope you enjoy the ride!

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 03:27:24 AM »
Thanks,  didn't think of an air cooled motor being harder on oil but at least the a oil he is using is a full synthetic.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 10:15:20 AM »
Again, thank you all for the replies.    For me it's just the worry that goes with a new toy.
Yep...been there done that.
:-)
Large Alice
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()