Author Topic: What to expect from People 150  (Read 5322 times)

envious

• View Profile
What to expect from People 150
« on: July 12, 2010, 06:56:11 PM »
I am considering the purchase of a People 150 and would love to have some questions answered. My primary, but not limited to, use of the scooter will be to visit my mom on the weekends. I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and she lives in Port St. Lucy ninety miles north. Obviously, I-95 is out of the question, however, will People 150, in a comfortable fashion, make it up Federal Highway (US-1) ninety miles, from Fort Lauderdale to Port St. Lucy?

You might think this question is stupid, but, I have seen some owner's manuals for scooters written in almost unreadable English. Does the People 150 come with an owner's manual that is well written in English?

How easy is the scooter to maintain and repair after the warranty is up, and is there a maintenance and repair manual available for it?

What year was the People 150 first introduced in The U.S. , How much has the design changed, and how many have been sold to date?

What are the major pros and cons of the People 150?

Any thoughts about these questions would be greatly appreciated.

rj

Lammy1000

• View Profile
Re: What to expect from People 150
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:19:40 PM »
My wife's Peep 150 will cruise comfortably at 50 mph.  It will go ~64 mph, but this seems a bit taxing.  I am not familiar with the road you mention, but for long highway rides consider a "maxi-scooter".

art

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »
Hey envy welcome to the forum,I don't have the 150 yet will one day,the 50 model has been quite a bike for the money.The owner manuel is O.K. for basics(not your throw away made in china thing)They were introduced to they states in 1999 and all are very simular.Kymco has been manufacturing bikes since the 60's for the big three than branched out on there own in the late 70's i believe.It is one of the few bikes with a 2 year warrenty and love the 16" tires.I can easily pull a 60 mile trip on my 50,it's not a cadillac but pretty good.Maintanince and repairs quite simple once you understand the cvt,plugs ,oil change and valve adjustments about it.Parts and service available country wide.Service can be hit and miss depending on your local shops.My sister picked up a new 2009 hold over for $2300 last month got to ride it a bit,very nice bike for the coin.The cons,It will be kinda stiff and tight for the first 4 or 5 hundred miles(like all new bikes)and won't be able to use the full potentual of the motor till  then,after that should loosen up nicely.My biggest gripe with kymco is the seat they are a bit stiff if you ride at the front if it can be uncomfortible.My sister went to wally world and picked up an office chair gel pad and a seat cover and swears by it (I would install under the original seat cover) Now if this had a yamaha seat I think you'd have a great package.  http://web.mac.com/dan_fenner/iWeb/Site/The%20Files.html  .Check this out

Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »
..the seat might get a bit uncomfortable for a 90 mile run... i have the ppl 50, and i think the seat is a little better on the 150...

..US-1 is 2-lane wide road with a 55 mph speed, right?

..still, i wonder if you if you wouldn't be better suited with a 200-250cc scoot..

..there are links to the Service Manual in this forum on the "General" board...

..but anyway, Welcome to th' Forum!!

peace
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:35:34 PM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:23 PM »

envious

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:39:24 PM »
Yes, it is a 55 mph speed limit going up US-1.

thanks for all of the input guys....

rj

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:42:19 PM »
...aaannd that florida run is relatively flat land, huh?

..the 150 will get you there...no doubt on that, id speculate..

..but a 200+cc scoot would do it much easier, and last a lot longer..in the long run....

..and honestly, when you start riding your new kymco, you're gonna soon find MANY more reason's to scoot than you would ever have dreamed of.......

;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 11:52:26 PM »
Yes, it is a 55 mph speed limit going up US-1.

..you won't be happy with the 150 on that kinda run, i would bet...

..you will find yourself holding up traffic...

..especially when riding into a head-wind..or up inclines...

..your body weight will factor into the load on your scoot, as well as your height and width...

..maintaining speed is dependant on drag reduction, or resistance to the wind...

..with a 150, you will run well in a draft, even up slight inclines..

..but you probably know that traffic up US1 is going to be running a steady 62+ in many places...

..that maintained speed would wear a 150 out...

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 01:21:03 AM »
RJ,

I have owned an '05 P150 for almost 2 years now and I love it.  Has been very reliable and runs like a champ.  Will try to answer some of your questions.

Will People 150, in a comfortable fashion, make it up Federal Highway (US-1) ninety miles, from Fort Lauderdale to Port St. Lucy?  Yes, it will make it, but not in a comfortable fashion.  It's great for around town and short jaunts on the highway, but 90 miles is definitely pushing it.

You might think this question is stupid, but, I have seen some owner's manuals for scooters written in almost unreadable English. Does the People 150 come with an owner's manual that is well written in English?  Understandable....yes.  Well written....no.  Has some contradictions and errors.

How easy is the scooter to maintain and repair after the warranty is up?  Relatively easy.

Is there a maintenance and repair manual available for it?  Yes.

How much has the design changed?  Not sure, but I believe the newer models are identical to mine.

What are the major pros and cons of the People 150?  Pros...Great bike for the money, reliable, economical, handles well and is fun to ride.  Cons...about the only thing I can think of is it sometimes takes a while to get parts.

In summary, I think it is a great little scooter, but probably a little too small for how you plan to use it.  You might consider the Yager.  Good luck! 

envious

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 01:49:48 AM »
Saw pictures and specs of Yager 200i. Seems like a great scooter, and it might be just what I am looking for. Will go to dealership in to look at one in person and will report back. Thanks for the tip about this scoot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:52:16 AM »
..we would just hate to see a new kymco owner dis-satisfied with their first purchase...

..that yager is a good scoot too....

good luck!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 01:59:32 AM »

envious

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
People 300i looks good. There is a problem though. I live in America and they are not importing that model here yet.

You also mention in your post that the People s250 is fuel injected. I was under the impression that the People 250 was carburated?? I could be wrong. Could you clarify this for me for the American model? thanks

rj

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »
People 300i looks good. There is a problem though. I live in America and they are not importing that model here yet.

You also mention in your post that the People s250 is fuel injected. I was under the impression that the People 250 was carburated?? I could be wrong. Could you clarify this for me for the American model? thanks

rj

Both models exist, after 2008 they were f.i., before that carbs...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

envious

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 10:24:05 PM »
Actually, I just checked. The People s250 in U.S. has a carb. It may be that you guys overseas are a year or two ahead of us. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()