Author Topic: Scooter Dan  (Read 4431 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Scooter Dan
« on: April 22, 2016, 02:41:20 PM »
Hi guys. Recently became the new owner of a 2010 P200 and joined your forum today. I'm not new to scooters/bikes though as I've owned several Burgman 650's, a B400, Honda Reflex, several Goldwings, a Honda CB 900 Hornet and presently also own a Honda Silverwing. Basically, I've owned a bunch of big bikes and Maxiscooters but never had a smaller scooter in the 150-200cc class.

Wowzers, I had no idea how much fun these little scoots are. I really hadn't intended on keeping the Kymco as I bought it to flip. I found the People S200 on CL which was selling for 1500.00 with only 180 miles as it was bought by an elderly (probably about 80 years old) who rode it about 20 miles and had a stroke. His grandson rode around a bit but it sat up for the past 6 years. Fortunately he only ran non-ethanol gas as it the fuel system wasn't damaged and it ran perfect during my test drive. Since it had't completed it's original engine break-in I've been riding it around town and and have put about 400 miles on it. It's presently for sale on CL Dallas however I'm thinking about keeping it.

I'm really not sure why I want to do this as it's the most underpowered bike I've ever ridden and the suspension is rather rough and after riding it to town and back (50 miles), my butt is really sore and rather hot from the engine heat. So why would I keep such a scooter? Perhaps there's something gratifying about getting about 70 mpg as I chuckle when I fill it up for less than 5 bucks. Maybe it's the fun factor of riding slower and enjoying it more rather than blasting down the road at 100mph. There's something humbling about riding down the highway and riding over onto the shoulder and letting the faster cagers go by. I'm comfortable riding the shoulder at 50 mph however I worry about road trash and punctured tires. Riding in town is where the biggest blast is though as I never thought an 11hp scooter could get the hole shot off the line. I'm tickled sometimes at how I have the advantage at urban riding. Oddly, I'm thinking about selling the SW (actually it's for sale too on CL Dallas) and just keeping the Kymco. I need to have some truck work done and need to sell one of them to finance a new truck bed (flat bed) as I jackknifed my motorcycle trailer and crushed both fenders. So, it looks
Like I may pull the Kymco off CL and keep it and downsize now to a smaller scooter. A part of me says; are you nuts. I own one of the finest and fastest Maxiscooters made, the Honda Silverwing and yet I may let it go for the lowly Kymco People S200. I've already got a top box picked out; a Shad SH40 cargo.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: Scooter Dan
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »
Welcome to the forums Dan. I went the opposite way. I bought a Super8 150 and after a year and a half upgraded to the Xciting 500. I was trying to sell the Super8 but my daughter approached me and wants to learn to ride. DING! (reason to keep) I enjoy the nimbleness and extra gas mileage of the Super8 but would not give up the Xciting because of the ability to take it on the highway. I just felt vulnerable on the highway with the Super8. Good luck in your decision. With as many scooters as you have owned though, if you find yourself unsatisfied in a year or so with the P200 then my guess is you'll sell it and get something bigger again. Ride it for a year and get some good fun out of it and make a decision then. . . unless that truck just can't wait.
Wayne

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:31:05 PM »
Bigger is not always better.  I have owned a lot of bikes over the years including some 1100 and 1200cc bikes.  One of the most fun bikes I have owned is my Super 8 150 which is even smaller and lighter than your p200.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 07:23:07 PM »
Thanks for the howdy Wayne and you are most likely correct that I will probably sell in a year if not sooner. I like trying out new bikes and usually ride for a year and sell. I think there's a sweet spot in the 250-300cc range that I'd like to try next. My Honda Reflex 250 and my Burgman 400 came closest to that. At first my Silverwing felt little like my Reflex and now comparing to the P200, it's a beast. Funny how relative it all is. I also concur that a little higher speed capacity would be an asset and safety need as well. I think though a little common sense is in order too as I illustrate this point.

I take my wife to the drug store to get a prescription and see an older Stella parked next to me. It's owner comes out and takes off down the street with us following enroute to home. Speed increases to 50 just at city limits and he's putting along at 30 until he turned off without signaling. Being a rider, I cut him some slack and hung way back off his tail. Other cagers may not be so forgiving of a scooterist who creates a big line in traffic and won't pull over to let the idiotic cagers by. So far I'm learning how to survive on the P200 and feel that most problems perceived by the rider are actually rider error. So, I polish new skills on a smaller cc scooter that one might miss on bigger scoots. In other words, my radar is much more focused now.

One of the reasons Wayne that I'm downsizing is that my wife and I are going to stop riding together and my need for a large Maxiscooter or Goldwing is over as I'm not doing anymore long distance touring as I've/we've done in the past. I've been an active member of a Goldwing forum and participated in many Southwest Meet and Greets as well as other areas like the Dragon. However, Deb and I are retiring our participation in these events and will not do group rides anymore. In essence, my riding days are not necessarily limited but changing to something more pragmatic, like urban transportation to do errands and ride down to my favorite coffee shop. The days of Big Bend, Colorado, California, the Cascades and the BRP are over, but the memories are priceless.

As I write these words and become the observer, I see a rider whose riding menu is changing to more of the old fart on the scooter who tells his wife he's going out for a haircut and comes home 4hrs. later. That's why I love these little scoots. BTW, I just turned 66 and may be coming off as an old geezer but I'm anything but as I'm an active hiker, backpacker, kayaker and canoeist.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:36:44 PM by Scooter Dan »

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 10:56:25 PM »
Welcome aboard Scooter Dan. I've been thinking about adding a maxiscooter to my collection. Could I trouble you for your thoughts on the Silverwing vs the Burgman? I've been wanting to add a larger displacement scooter to my stable.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 12:45:01 AM »
Bigger is not always better.  I have owned a lot of bikes over the years including some 1100 and 1200cc bikes.  One of the most fun bikes I have owned is my Super 8 150 which is even smaller and lighter than your p200.

You're right on Rocket City man about that as I explore that reality with a smaller scoot now. I've got a buddy in Australia who rides an older Honda Goldwing GL 1200 but his favorite bike is his older Honda CB 250. Even touring riders find smaller displacement bikes can make worthy tourers too. BTW, your Super 8 is one sweet looking scooter.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:47:36 AM by Scooter Dan »

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 11:08:18 AM »
Welcome aboard Scooter Dan. I've been thinking about adding a maxiscooter to my collection. Could I trouble you for your thoughts on the Silverwing vs the Burgman? I've been wanting to add a larger displacement scooter to my stable.

Good question and one that evokes much passion and spirited responses from both owners. I had written a long post last night that got lost in cyber space so you'll get the condensed version. As to quality, both are top notch bikes and ought to be for 10k. The Burgman 650 is much heavier than the SW by almost 100 pounds topping the lardy out wet at 650 pounds. Once you're rolling with any type heavy bike though, that disappears and the planted feel at higher speeds lends the Burgman as a better tourer. The Burgman is also more sophisticated than the SW as it has a manual paddle shifter, power mode and a computer controlled transmission, still cvt though. So there's more than can go wrong with the Burgman and especially with the drive belt. This is the Achilles Heal of the B650 (not B400) and is considered by some owners as the throwaway bike. Essentially the drive belt is internal within the transmission and cannot be replaced without pulling the transmission and the engine has to be removed to get the tranny out. This is a 2-3k repair at a shop and usually forces one to sell their bike for salvage or part out. Drive belt breakage usually occurs around 50-60k. Suzuki calls it a lifetime belt as some owners never reach that much mileage however there are many on the Burgman forum who have and some have exceeded 100k. My drive belt broke at only 40k and if it had not been for the help of a mechanic friend, I would have had to nearly give the bike away or sell for parts. The drive belt and other parts is about $500. On the other hand the SW has the same drive belt as the Kymco and is simpler, cheaper and easier to replace.

The SW is a do all, Swiss Army knife of scooters that has high performance, is more flickabke and agile in cornering and more user friendly in urban settings and pushing around in the garage or parking lot.  So in essence I am more bias towards to SW as a more reliable and greater longevity Maxiscooter over the Burgman. Not sure you're interested but I've got a very nice SW for sale in Dallas CL and it's also has ABS brakes?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:15:37 AM by Scooter Dan »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 02:41:25 PM »

My 2 cents:
Go large enough the first time, when you do go.
We do not seem to have too many options here in the States for 300>600cc scoots.
SYM makes a great scooter - but parts & service ??
The 300 and 700 KYMCOs seem to be good choices. Both will be discounted again next winter. My dealer knocked $2000 off the 300....and let's keep reading about the 700's. Might be a prize winning scoot at great price!
Piaggio BV350 very good - but is service avail. ?Prices might be good since not popular brand in some areas.
Burgman 400 is overpriced unless left-overs found....better keep it - big depreciation !
Forza is nice but overpriced. Big depreciation. Parts cheaper than Suzuki but more than KYMCO.

Scoots cost more than motorcycles.
How about a nice upright riding CB500X for same or less than Forza 300.? Put a case on it and a screen and .....
SWing left over might be just the thing.....

But.....ABS is pretty important.
KYMCO still looks very good to me for price & quality.
Stig & his nickel
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »
My 2 cents:

Stig & his nickel

A little inflation there at the end. :)  I am a little curious about the SYM MAXISYM 600i. I think it's obvious where the inspiration was, Burgman 650, it looks like an updated older one. Hell it even uses the same size tires as the B650 and the MyRoad 700i.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:30:42 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 02:47:17 AM »
Which SW on Craiglist?  There are several including one from OK
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 11:16:24 AM »
[quotheading
Good question and one that evokes much passion and spirited responses from both owners. I had written a long post last night that got lost in cyber space so you'll get the condensed version. As to quality, both are top notch bikes and ought to be for 10k. The Burgman 650 is much heavier than the SW by almost 100 pounds topping the lardy out wet at 650 pounds. Once you're rolling with any type heavy bike though, that disappears and the planted feel at higher speeds lends the Burgman as a better tourer. The Burgman is also more sophisticated than the SW as it has a manual paddle shifter, power mode and a computer controlled transmission, still cvt though. So there's more than can go wrong with the Burgman and especially with the drive belt. This is the Achilles Heal of the B650 (not B400) and is considered by some owners as the throwaway bike. Essentially the drive belt is internal within the transmission and cannot be replaced without pulling the transmission and the engine has to be removed to get the tranny out. This is a 2-3k repair at a shop and usually forces one to sell their bike for salvage or part out. Drive belt breakage usually occurs around 50-60k. Suzuki calls it a lifetime belt as some owners never reach that much mileage however there are many on the Burgman forum who have and some have exceeded 100k. My drive belt broke at only 40k and if it had not been for the help of a mechanic friend, I would have had to nearly give the bike away or sell for parts. The drive belt and other parts is about $500. On the other hand the SW has the same drive belt as the Kymco and is simpler, cheaper and easier to replace.

The SW is a do all, Swiss Army knife of scooters that has high performance, is more flickabke and agile in cornering and more user friendly in urban settings and pushing around in the garage or parking lot.  So in essence I am more bias towards to SW as a more reliable and greater longevity Maxiscooter over the Burgman. Not sure you're interested but I've got a very nice SW for sale in Dallas CL and it's also has ABS brakes?

[/quote

Let's see......failed CVT on Burgman 650 = sell for parts; Silver Wing replace belt on shoulder of highway (saw fellow do it on YouTube with tools on board)
Which one would I like to own??!!@@
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 11:00:51 PM »
I hadn't ridden my SW in over a month as I've been working on the 600 mile engine break-in on the P200. So today I enjoyed a ride to town so much that I thought; man you're crazy to get rid of this scooter.  It's really the nicest one I've ever had and I know I'd regret it if I sold it. So, I've decided to find monies somewhere else to repair my truck and keep the SW.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 12:25:48 AM »
I hadn't ridden my SW in over a month as I've been working on the 600 mile engine break-in on the P200. So today I enjoyed a ride to town so much that I thought; man you're crazy to get rid of this scooter.  It's really the nicest one I've ever had and I know I'd regret it if I sold it. So, I've decided to find monies somewhere else to repair my truck and keep the SW.
KYMCO forum ....I know - but a good scoot is a good scoot!!
Good for you~
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 11:00:08 PM »
Thanks Scooter Dan for the comparison of the Burgman and Silverwing.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »
Thanks Scooter Dan for the comparison of the Burgman and Silverwing.

Your welcome. Hope I didn't trash the Burgman as they really are a fine scooter and probably the most comfortable. I have several friends who have owned several and wouldn't own anything else. Until I bought my SW, I was of the same persuasion too but have since found a SW that I like and has never had any issues.

It's an interesting experience riding a 163cc bike with 11hp. Makes my SW feel like a crotch rocket. I feel humbled riding the P200 the 30 miles to town on our 70mph state highway. Riding the shoulder when tailed by cagers is OK but my radar is on full alert for road trash, dead animals and especially for edge traps, all of which I never experience on my SW. I love the Scooter in town and the Kymco is King in urban settings. But I would not want to see much more speed out of the P200 due to it's braking system and overall suspension and design. These were engineered for 50-60 mph and I respect that and won't try to tweak any more speed out of it. For what it is, it does a good job in a fun package.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()