Author Topic: Fix muffler?  (Read 2546 times)

Rickster

• View Profile
Fix muffler?
« on: August 23, 2022, 11:10:16 PM »
The muffler on my B&W150 has a loose part inside of it, which makes an annoying rattle.  The muffler's exterior is in good shape, so I plan to cut it open, remove the loose piece and weld it back together, minus the loose part.  I'm curious if anyone has experience cutting a Kymco muffler open? Where did you make the cut?  I'm thinking of cutting here. Thoughts?
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Fix muffler?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 12:40:02 PM »
does this mean that you got the scooter running, again?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Rickster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 03:15:21 PM »
Not yet. I’m waiting for my valve adjustment tool to arrive before putting it back together. Thought I’d tinker with the muffler in the mean time.
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 03:30:05 PM »
Not yet. I’m waiting for my valve adjustment tool to arrive before putting it back together. Thought I’d tinker with the muffler in the mean time.
What's a "valve adjustment tool"?.....the blade feeler gauge?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 05:54:17 PM »
I'm guessing one of the 'all in one' tools that holds the nut or adjuster and lets you move one without the other..?

and with the muffler...I've seen people cut open a 'flap' in the side of the muffler, bend it up for access, then push it back down and weld it closed.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 07:01:52 PM »
@Rickster, your location of cutting (all around) is not a bad one, but consider that, there are several u-shaped pipes in it, which are loose and cause this rattling noise.
Once removed it will be pretty noisy and might void your next technical inspection. Also NOx values will change (don't know requirements in your state).

IMO better to open sidewards, spotwelt this silencers again in its place and weld it close, smooth and paint nicely to have an original muffler again.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 07:06:56 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Rickster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 12:50:22 PM »
@Rickster, your location of cutting (all around) is not a bad one, but consider that, there are several u-shaped pipes in it, which are loose and cause this rattling noise.
Once removed it will be pretty noisy and might void your next technical inspection. Also NOx values will change (don't know requirements in your state).

IMO better to open sidewards, spotwelt this silencers again in its place and weld it close, smooth and paint nicely to have an original muffler again.

Thanks Iahawk, Ruffus, and Stig, my valve adjustment tool arrived from Amazon yesterday, so I'll finish off that task today. Re: the muffler, I like your suggestion of opening the side, Ruffus.  This could be fun (?). ha. BTW, we have no vehicle inspections in MN.
2007 B&W 150
2010 Yager 200i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()