Author Topic: 2008 Bet and Win transmission fluid level  (Read 6121 times)

unclebarry

• View Profile
2008 Bet and Win transmission fluid level
« on: April 15, 2010, 01:14:46 PM »
I have just purchased a 2008 B&W 150 with almost no Km on it.  Great Scooter.  Oil has been leaking from the air box and it is coming from the transmission via the vent hose.  The manual says fill up until oil flows from the filler bolt hole and that this is .18 Litres.  That does not seem to me to be correct.  I suspect the transmission case would hold at least twice the recommended amount.  Am I safe to assume that putting in 180 ml is adequate even though is is nowhere near the bolt level?

Calothrix

• View Profile
Re: 2008 Bet and Win transmission fluid level
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »
I had the same question when I got my People 150, which also uses .18L.  Wrote Kymco USA and they said .18L is correct.  I have been using that amount for 1.5 years and have had no problems.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum Unclebarry! The manuals on MOST of the Kymcos are filled with contradictions. Calothrix is right. I also went w' the recommend amount, and finally gave up on measuring. Now I just fill to the weep hole. If you do the same I think you will find more fluid in the airbox. The .18l is best for your set up. Mine has no vent to the box.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

unclebarry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:00:19 PM »
I have just come back from a short ride with 180 ml in the transmission.  It still is blowing a bit of oil but not as bad.  Two points.  It sure is hot.  OK or not?  I am considering getting a longer piece of tubing so that it arches up and allows the oil to drain back into the transmission but still provides venting.  Comments?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:16:55 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the lower part of the gear must be in the oil so it canpick up the oil to lubricate the rest of the gears, so no need to over fill.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:36:51 PM »
Extending, and adding an upside down "U" at the top is a good idea. How hot are you talking? I can hold my hand on the gear box after riding all day. If you can't hold your hand on it there may be something wrong. Maybe a brake dragging or a seizing bearing. On the center stand does the wheel turn freely? will it continue to spin (just a little) if you give it a good shove or does it just stop?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

unclebarry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »
I have to agree that if one gear is wet then they all will be.  The "U" tube is in and I have upped the oil to 250 ml to kind of compromise on the oil level.  After removing the belt drive case I see what I would call a very poor arrangement for cooling.   As an engineer I would have to say the fan design is next tjo useless and in fact I can feel no air movement at all.  The casing temperature is too hot to hold your hand on but can be touched without burning.  I guess I will continue to ride and see what transpires.  My winter project will be to get a shop manual and see if I can make some improvements.  I appreciate all your help.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »
http://www.timtaylor.net/Scooter/Manuals.htm   Here's your service manual unclebarry! Happy B'day. The fan won't move any air w/ the cover off. It needs the cover to direct or contain the air mass over it. Have you tried to spin it freely. There is a VERY basic gear set inside, and just a few bearings. I would think you could feel if one was going bad. Keep us informed. Do you have a local dealer to ride to for a second opinion on how hot is too hot? It could just be normal (hard to tell from here). Ps the manual is at the bottom of the page I posted.

unclebarry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
Two birthdays in one year.  I don't know if I should be happy or worried.  Thank you very much for the manual link.  The fan volume was checked with the cover on but the problem (as I see it) is the fact that the fan has no face and so the air cannot be sucked into the centre and discharged from the periphery.  Normally the feed should be located at the centre and in this case it is at the leading edge.   On the other hand I suppose given the layout they made the best of the situation(me trying to be even handed)  As for the transmission, my latest effort is to place a baggie over the hose end and see what collects.  Unfortunately the temperature here is scheduled to drop to 6 deg C for the next few days so there won't be much riding done :(

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 09:15:09 PM »
Well keep us informed, and I HATE to shine on another's cloudy day but it is 82 degrees here, and I'm thinking about riding in a thong after dinner>

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 09:17:37 PM »
Just another thought... Have you checked the clutch for slipping? I think if the clutch were slipping all the time it could heat the bell enough to transfer the heat thru the shaft into the trans.

unclebarry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »
I suspect the clutch is the heat source as you say.  I will have to check my new manual to see what, if anything, can be done.  It is currently about 3 deg here so the only thong will be the one I thing.  Speaking of the manual.  It is all in separate chapters.  Do you know of an easy way to combine them all into one document?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 01:52:42 PM »
Well keep us informed, and I HATE to shine on another's cloudy day but it is 82 degrees here, and I'm thinking about riding in a thong after dinner>

..DANG...

:-\ :( :-\
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »
Try this site. hey have all sorts of pdf to this or that converters. Just follow the software guide on the left, and they have a ton of free software.   http://download.cnet.com/windows/

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()