Author Topic: Ktmco 500i 170 mile trail ride this weekend - need input on upgrades  (Read 2048 times)

Mcmarkrazz

• View Profile
Took the 2012 Kymco 500i uxv out on the trails with some buddies riding ATVs up north in Wisconsin this weekend and had a blast but definently struggled to o keep up.
The ecceleration and torque out of corners in sand and mud at high speeds was week and I was pinned pretty much all day.
I have read something about a white clutch  spring that might help this issue some
- link to where to get it so I get the right one and install instructions

Are the Mod Chips I see advertised worth the install, do they work?
- link to ones that you have tried and work

What other options to help get this machine a little boost on HP ect
- air filter ideas?
- pipe idea for HP?
OR?

Thanks

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Ktmco 500i 170 mile trail ride this weekend - need input on upgrades
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »
What cc we're your buddies machines? Honestly you might never be able to go as fast with your 500 if they have rzrs
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Mcmarkrazz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
This is not a bike it a the UTV and they were riding 500 and a 700 but I kept up..just want to beat them next time .lol

Any body any real input on upgrades?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »
This is not a bike it a the UTV and they were riding 500 and a 700 but I kept up..just want to beat them next time .lol

Any body any real input on upgrades?

Not many UTV/ATV people on here, but honestly start with the easy stuff first. If it has a CVT you the white spring you talk of will help, not add top speed but help coming out of corners. Find an exhaust system for it, or build your own. If they have twin cylinder motors, you will ALWAYS be pegged keeping up, more cylinders = more efficient engine. If you found a computer upgrade, that would do really good with an opened up exhaust. Everything depends on how much you want to spend upgrading, hell you could spend $1500 and turbo the thing and be pulling away from anyone even 1000cc units, but also think about reliability. If you don't touch the engine and just do CVT mods and exhaust / intake / computer mods the engine will still stay reliable.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

ppd153

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 03:23:27 AM »
I had a 500 SE and had the dealer put a new clutch kit in it. It didn't give it much more top end but it definitely gave it more mid range power. It was much better at keeping up with the 700 and 800's on long steep grades. I believe it was under $200 installed.

JoeMarshall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
Give up while you can, my 700i drove me nuts till I traded it in. It was a good machine and never broke down. But I was in the same boat trying to keep up with the group. Clutch kit is all that's available at the time, you can buy the universal rev limiter for a higher limit; but I decided not to go that route due to having to break into the ecu box and soldering wires. But it's up to you, the website is magnum tuning.

Mcmarkrazz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 01:02:14 AM »
Give up while you can, my 700i drove me nuts till I traded it in. It was a good machine and never broke down. But I was in the same boat trying to keep up with the group. Clutch kit is all that's available at the time, you can buy the universal rev limiter for a higher limit; but I decided not to go that route due to having to break into the ecu box and soldering wires. But it's up to you, the website is magnum tuning.

Just put the clutch is print in myself PITB having to take out gas tank and all but noticible bottom end for sure.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()