Author Topic: Gas leak  (Read 5123 times)

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: Gas leak
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »
I find it hard to believe that our scoots are that sensitive to a bit of over filling - these things are sold 'round the globe - and there are guys filling these scoots in the pouring Amizonian  rains by candle light with an old Pepsi can....and they still run just fine on market days.
I think.
Stig

Yes Tom. And the reason why they don´t have issues is, because around the globe (also here in Europe) these scooters don´t have that silly and complicatet EVAP canister system.  :D ;)
This is obviously an american specialty via your NTSB or some other "creative enviromental authority"....

On my Like 200i the "ventilation hose" is connected to a simple "rubber cup" around the filler neck and the hose goes along the frame to fresh air behind the center stand.
If I overfill my tank, fuel spills out a tiny little hole on top of the filler cap into that rubber cup around the filler neck. The hose transports the spilled fuel down to the road.
I overfilled 2 or 3 times. No issues with it apart from the lost fuel and the bad smell.

KISS method is often better! (keep it simple stupid)

And overfilling should not, but may happen from time to time. Nevertheless the system should or must stay reliable to use afterwards. Imho it´s an absolute no go that people get stranded on a gas station only because of accidentally overfilling. But that´s just my opinion.

If I were you guys, I would definately think about cutting that EVAP system off. Problem solved.  ;D Because the environmental effect is close to zero anyway.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 03:15:52 PM »
Yes Tom. And the reason why they don´t have issues is, because around the globe (also here in Europe) these scooters don´t have that silly and complicatet EVAP canister system.  :D ;)
This is obviously an american specialty via your NTSB or some other "creative enviromental authority"....

On my Like 200i the "ventilation hose" is connected to a simple "rubber cup" around the filler neck and the hose goes along the frame to fresh air behind the center stand.
If I overfill my tank, fuel spills out a tiny little hole on top of the filler cap into that rubber cup around the filler neck. The hose transports the spilled fuel down to the road.
I overfilled 2 or 3 times. No issues with it apart from the lost fuel and the bad smell.

KISS method is often better! (keep it simple stupid)

And overfilling should not, but may happen from time to time. Nevertheless the system should or must stay reliable to use afterwards. Imho it´s an absolute no go that people get stranded on a gas station only because of accidentally overfilling. But that´s just my opinion.

If I were you guys, I would definately think about cutting that EVAP system off. Problem solved.  ;D Because the environmental effect is close to zero anyway.
Yes,
Over on the SYM forum they advise doing just that to their new scooters!
But of course, as a law-abiding American - I turned them in to the PTA.
(Parent Teachers Association - very tough looking bunch of gals)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 10:27:30 AM »
Ahhh, this PTA sounds like being nearly efficient, use- and helpful as the EVAP system on these tiny little scooters.  ;D ;)
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »
Yes,
Over on the SYM forum they advise doing just that to their new scooters!
But of course, as a law-abiding American - I turned them in to the PTA.
(Parent Teachers Association - very tough looking bunch of gals)
Stig
The first thing my SYM dealer does with the scooters that have that evap canister is rip the stupid things off before they even hit the showroom. This is Idaho, where fortunately we can tell California EPA people where to shove that canister.   ;D
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()