Author Topic: Solar charging of battery  (Read 676 times)

Ivor3648

• View Profile
Solar charging of battery
« on: August 29, 2017, 07:49:37 AM »
Hi,

Just got my DT300i and in view of the fact that the battery is way down and under the seat I was thinking of fitting a pigtail to the battery for a battery float/trickle charger. However since there is a 12volt outlet in the  cubby I was wondering whether a solar battery maintainer would work in there.

Something like this:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/halfords-solar-battery-maintainer-12v-6w 

Anyone tried it or any thoughts please.

Ivor

pipster326

• View Profile
Re: Solar charging of battery
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »
Ivor, I myself,keep my DT300, in a garage. So, a solar charger would not be a viable option for me,personally. It's really not a big deal, to hook up battery tender pigtails. You will have to remove the seat tub and pick out a good location, to access the plug.
I know BMW, uses 12v port for charging the batteries on some of their models, I have never used one myself.
I just plug in the battery tender jr. and I have never had a problem.

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ivor3648

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 08:58:15 AM »
You are probably right Pipster, I should get at the battery and add pigtails, it will help me to find out where everything is too.

The questions that spring to mind are:

1 Is the 12volt outlet live without the ingnition on?
2 Do we have enough sun this side to keep the battery topped up in the winter?

Ivor

Ivor3648

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
Incidentally, if I want to remove the underseat bucket do I need to take the seat off first, or will taking the 4 nuts
visible when you open the seat take the whole lot off in one go?

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
Hi Ivor

Our American friends will still be in their beds (except for Stig who will like riding in the middle of the night), so allow me to answer.

Incidentally, if I want to remove the underseat bucket do I need to take the seat off first, or will taking the 4 nuts
visible when you open the seat take the whole lot off in one go?

Two nuts at the rear near the locks, two bolts in the middle rear of the seat bucket, two nuts for the seat closer and finally lift the seat all the way up and remove the two nuts that hold the seat pivot in place. Lift the seat bucket remembering to disconnect the underseat light (I leave this permanently disconnected now)

Hope this helps.

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »
Yep, what Snorvey said. There's like 6 bolts/nuts. Seat does have to come off also. Don't forget to unplug that light!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ivor3648

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »
Thanks for the guidance. Oxford Oximiser battery charger arriving tomorrow I hope, so will then tackle removing bucket and fitting leads to battery.

Arrived today, got the bucket out and found battery. All fitted and ready to go.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:47:07 PM by Ivor3648 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()