Author Topic: Strange drop in power and speed  (Read 1428 times)

BuckWilde

• View Profile
Strange drop in power and speed
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »
This is my first post, so bear with me, but I also need your help!

I bought a Kymco People 50cc used a few months ago and things have been running smoothly until yesterday.

I filled up my tank and there was a huge drop in power and speed. Instead of being able to get to 45 mph easily, my scooter won't go past 25 mph on flat roads. I can't even get up most hills now.

Any ideas on what my issue is and what I can do to fix it?

chrisw1964

• View Profile
Re: Strange drop in power and speed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 02:37:09 AM »
I've had the same problem...no idea what's going on.  For about the first year, I could easily maintain between 40 and 45 mph, with quick take-offs at traffic lights, etc.  Since then I can barely get to 35 mph, and no longer feel comfortable out in traffic.  I'm probably going to break down and take it to the shop where I bought it.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 01:37:33 AM »
maybe dumb question, but make sure you have 2 cycle oil in tank, just saying...
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:22:37 AM »
That is strange. Either the gasoline was faulty, or this is some kind of coincidence. I don't think overfilling could cause this, I usually overfill mine a little bit. There is a rubber line going from the top of the gas tank but under the gas cap, if you overfill the gasoline enters that passage and then just drips on the ground next to your CVT cover.

If you have 2T oil and the gasoline is okay (I would drain the tank if needed and fill with new) and this still doesn't solve the issue, then I would go for cleaning the carb.
Kymco People S 50 2T 2008
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi torsion controller 2512828
Malossi rollers 7g
Michelin City Grip front + Heidenau K66 rear

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Buck, what year is your scooter?  I have 03 and 05 and almost always fill tank to the max and overfill it from time to time.  I think newer scooters may have more EPA stuff that may cause problems if overfill, and older ones have less stuff to go wrong IMO.

Check if your carb is getting gas, open the carb drain and let the gas flow out, then check that it refills OK, might try that.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 08:06:46 PM »

Check if your carb is getting gas, open the carb drain and let the gas flow out, then check that it refills OK, might try that.

How do you test this with the vacuum operated auto cock / fuel filter. Gas doesn't flow unless the motor is running?  I guess I could turn the motor over without the ignition on and see if it refills.  I'm asking because I'm having an issue where I'm only getting about half power from WOT position and think I may have a plugged fuel line.
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()