Author Topic: Help me decide on a scooter  (Read 5034 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Help me decide on a scooter
« on: November 18, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »
This is my first post on this forum.  I have never owned a scooter.  My scooter riding experience consists of two days on a rented Riva 125 in Hawaii over 20 years ago and a short ride on a reflex 250 about 7 years ago.  I am trying to decide between a people 150, people 200 and super 8 150.  I will mainly be using it to commute & ride around town but will occasional take some rides into the country and into the Smoky mountains.  I do like to ride aggresively in the curves so handling and ground clearance is important.  The local dealer has great deals on all three.  Any inputs would be appreciated especially on performance and ease of maintenance.  I plan on doing most of my own maintenance.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: Help me decide on a scooter
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »
Hi, klaviator, those are some fine machines to choose from! Some other folks on the forum may be able to fill you in on whether the 200 has a lot more power than the 150s or not. The Kymco website lists specs and the ground clearance for all three may be able to be found there as well. For me it would probably come down to personal preference. If you can test ride them definitely try all 3 and see which one suits you best and makes you feel comfortable. With your aggressive riding style you may prefer the racing style or look of that Super 8 while some folks still prefer a more classic looking scoot. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

WT100

• 100 countries or bust, 74 so far.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:39:31 PM »
With the right "skins" on you can ride very aggressively on the S8.  I just put Pilot SCs on mine and they are a perfect combo with the very solid cornering feel of this scoot. 

Here is a video of us riding the twisties with the stock tires still on.  Not bad even then.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
Nice video!  How's the power of the Super 8?  I have also seen complaints on the forward slope of the seat.  How comfortable is it for you?
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

WT100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:03:54 PM »
The power is good but it seems conservatively "tuned".  I think i'll be able to get lots more out of it once i go "under the hood".  Top speed stock is around 58mph.

The seat feels a little storage at first but i got used to it quick.  It is an easy fix if it bothers you over time. 

Before i got the S8, my other consideration was a Genuine Blur (lot's more expensive) or a People.  Once i road them both there was no comparison.  I like the lower, more "sport bike" seating of the S8 MUCH better than the Blur or the People.  They both sit way to "up" for "Twisty Riding".  IMOP.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
This is my first post on this forum.  I have never owned a scooter.  My scooter riding experience consists of two days on a rented Riva 125 in Hawaii over 20 years ago and a short ride on a reflex 250 about 7 years ago.  I am trying to decide between a people 150, people 200 and super 8 150.  I will mainly be using it to commute & ride around town but will occasional take some rides into the country and into the Smoky mountains.  I do like to ride aggresively in the curves so handling and ground clearance is important.  The local dealer has great deals on all three.  Any inputs would be appreciated especially on performance and ease of maintenance.  I plan on doing most of my own maintenance.

Super 8 for me.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 12:16:42 AM »
I have an S200 and it is really 163cc. It handles very well as should most scoots with the low center of gravity. Maintenance I've not needed yet except routine oil changes. Body parts removal may be an issue to access the plug etc., but I bought a manual which explains it well. Seat is comfortable. I sat on a Super 8 and the seat was very hard. I know from past bikes that if it first appears hard, it'll always be hard. Enjoy whatever you buy, and welcome.

Monoplex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 02:52:11 AM »
I'd like to second what others have a said here and add in a few thoughts of my own.

I'd like you to think about how critical storage is to you so you can shop with that in mind.

Also, small wheels vs large wheels (e.g., 10" vs 16") will be less stable but will give you a much wider selection in tires. 10" wheels will give you very quick handling almost to the point of being twitchy. While this is fine for commuting, it's going to make holding a line as you go through the mountains much more difficult, especially as you go over bumps.

Be sure to get at least a 150cc scooter othewise you'll not be allowed on limited access highways.

I'm also going to recommend a larger engine (200cc or above) if you're going to driving in higher speed areas. You can likely reach the speeds you want to with a smaller engine, but you're really going to be taxing the engine.

mrrmutt

• People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 03:10:49 AM »
I have a People150 and several other scoots. The Ppl is a tall scoot with a high center of gravity, big wheels make it comfortable, I take it off road a lot and its a great stump jumper but I like small wheels better on twisties. There's not a lot of choices for the 16" 80/80 and 100/80 tires. The People is a great scoot (150 or 200) but if you want aggressive, I'd go with the Super8.
www.scootswla.wordpress.com  --   cause every scooterist needs a scooter blog

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
You have seen my comments over at ADVRider... but I saw the S8 at a dealer last night.  That is a great looking bike.

Have you test ridden both the P150 and S8 yet?  I would take LONG tests on both and then make your decision. I think it is really a style and ergonomics decision for these two bikes as the performance difference, in the long run, will be very minor. 

This is all based on my impressions based on the specs and my readings.  I have not ridden either but I think I would like to simply to be able to say more about about them.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »
PS... that S8 is much bigger than I expected it to be.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:49:52 PM »
I plan on test riding the S8 and P200 next week.  I'm leaning toward the S8 but won't make a final decision until after I ride them.  The P200 is more comfortable but I like the idea of a small sporty scooter.  The S8 is over $500 less and I'm not sure if there is much difference in performance with a difference of only 13cc. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »
I am going to post here as the Sym-fan boy and not going to see this... You have spent a lot of time at your Kymco dealer and you are narrowing your choice at this dealer.  Sym makes good stuff but their distribution is messed up (see Carter Bro fire in Google) in the US and I would not want to jump into that this year.

Both are great looking bikes and really.... honestly... you love either one.  The P200 is a little bigger and may go a little faster.  Test them, make your decision..buy...post your "Look at my new scoot photos"... Have a blast! 

I love my scoot.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »
I agree.  I don't think there is a Sym dealer around Huntsville.  The Kymco dealer is an independant repair shop that has been around for a long time and started selling Kymcos and Vespas a few years ago.  It seems like a good place to do business, unlike the big motorcycle superstore (boutique) across town which reminds me of an expensive store at the mall.  I will most likely do a lot business at the small dealer as I always need parts for my bikes and other stuff.  I prefer the old fashioned, friendly shops rather than most of the fancy new dealers. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

WT100

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »
Sounds like you have a great shop to work with and that is a blessing. 

My dealer has become a friend and supporter of our riding club.  That makes a huge difference in my ownership experience.  You are making the right call starting a relationship with a good shop.  Have fun and keep us posted. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()