Author Topic: Like 200i Morning Picture and Cone Practice  (Read 575 times)

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Like 200i Morning Picture and Cone Practice
« on: August 31, 2019, 04:12:12 PM »
Put 20 more miles on my 2018 matte black Kymco Like 200i this morning. My odometer reached 100. I live in a suburb of San Diego, CA and found a decent (but foggy) background for a picture. Then I went to an empty parking lot to practice riding between cones. The road test at the CA DMV includes riding between cones placed 12 feet apart. I placed mine about 15 feet apart and still managed to kill a few. My apologies to orange cone makers worldwide.

As a learning rider, I'm having difficulties navigating the cones.

A riding instructor on youtube suggested you test yourself on cones by riding them on a bicycle first. The bicycle will give you a sense of balance and how weight is supposed to shift when navigating the cones left and right. I might try it tomorrow.

Any other tips or tricks for swerving through cones placed 12 feet apart?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:16:12 PM by DanH »
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Like 200i Morning Picture and Cone Practice
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »
That Puig shield looks good on your Like! I have it myself it works well and has stayed tight and trouble free.  ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »
Riding advice?.......

Just get as much seat time as possible - in parking lots, 25mph State Parks, etc.

I found these Australian "HART" scooter safety videos to be helpful.

Google "Videos of HART scooter safety"
Stig
(nice to see a clean LIKE200i!)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:26:02 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 05:26:09 PM »
That Puig shield looks good on your Like! I have it myself it works well and has stayed tight and trouble free.  ;)

I like the Puig Windscreen, though I'm a little tall in the saddle. I'm thinking it deflects some of the wind from my body but not my head. I keep a few wrenches under my seat to tighten the nuts and bolts if it comes loose, but so far, not a problem. I couldn't figure out a way to reuse the rubber boots that come with the stock mirrors. After adding the windscreen hardware, the rubber boots lost their value. I tried my best to install the windscreen from the manufacturer's exploding parts diagram, but it took a close-up photograph from another user here for it to make sense.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:46:21 PM by DanH »

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 06:16:04 PM »
Yes I know what you mean about the install instructions they are quite confusing. I reused the rubbers on top of the mirror mounting hardware.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 02:34:11 PM »
Cones---are you using rear brake to control speed between cones?   Try MSF course to get license.

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 02:57:37 PM »
Cones---are you using rear brake to control speed between cones?   Try MSF course to get license.

Thanks, John. I’m scheduled for the MSF course this coming Sat and Sun. Still, I’m practicing the DMV test to see if I’m ready by CA standards. Not yet. I killed a few more cones today on the circle part of the test. It seems I do left handed circles better than right.

To answer your question about rear break ... I’ve been trying. It’s weird, but I can swerve like Fred Astaire without the cones ... those little orange “circles of fail” are between my ears.

I do agree with Stig - practice. Hell, I noticed improvement from yesterday to today.

Thanks for your responses and suggestions.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 04:38:41 PM »
"Left hand turns are easier than right hand turns"....that is some kind of natural phenomena experienced by many when starting out!
I camped on a school lot for days, practicing.
We did 20 miles in 2 days on a airguard  runway during my MSF class.  Left my LIKE200i at home, and completed it on their loaner Yamahamamma  dirt bike.
Passing the course satisfied the DMV for full licensing!
Hang in there - practice in safe areas - years of riding enjoyment ahead of you if you give yourself time, now.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »
The combination of a certain constant amount of throttle and a well dosed use of the rear brake has always brought me safely through tricky slow speed passages and corners. Just keep practising. It´s getting better and better with every exercise.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:27:13 AM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()