Author Topic: New People 150  (Read 1585 times)

bigtonyt

• View Profile
New People 150
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:42:46 PM »
Hi everyone. I few weeks ago I purchased my first scooter, a 2012 people 150. So far I love it. I've been riding gentle, no fast starts, staying under 45 and such. I was just curious though, how long is too long to ride a new scooter? Can I go on an hour and a half cruise as long as I am varying the speeds? Thanks for any input.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: New People 150
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
Well the problem with break-in is heat. Too much is bad but you want to heat cycle all parts
to get them to "mate". I like to double my ride time each time.

Start with 5 minutes then 10 then 20 then 40 and so on.

I believe long rides are good for your vehicle but probably not for the first 10 or so rides...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 01:57:17 AM »
    I did my brake in , read motousa. ride it like you stole it, but vary speed for a few hundred miles,. long trips, if your scooter has water cooling the engine will not over heat, and change oil at 50 miles, change it hot ,. befor the crap settles, same thing with the tranny,                            the rings must wear in on compression and decompression,. I did mine on a steep hill about 1 mile long,. full throttle up hill, and at speed at top of hill, then close throttle,. all the way down, drive easy on turn around at top and at bottem of hill, I did that for twenty miles, then went home and changed the oil,.

bigtonyt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies. MotoRandy, I've basically been doing like you suggested and have worked my way up to going on up to 45 minute rides. I've had the scooter for a few weeks now, getting ready to take it in for my first service this weekend. I've got a buddy who lives about 30 minutes away who wants to meet up and go for a ride I just wasn't sure if it was a good idea this early. I'll probably give it a couple more weeks.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:42:27 PM »
Well if you up to 45 minutes you should be OK. It's really the first 100 - 200 miles that is critical.
Truth be told I drove mine back from the dealer 30 miles away on the first day I had it. I accelerated
and deaccelerated a lot the first 20 miles and changed the oil at 100 miles. Long rides are good for
a vehicle once your past the early machining that heats things up  lot!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()